Review: Transformers: War for Cybertron

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Not played it yet but apparently activision are keen to kill the horse and beat it already!

Honestly i'll probably never play this just because of it been an activision product!

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
KoreyGM said:
He didn't mention it but the PS3 version is really laggy in multiplayer, like unbearably at most times.
really? only time it dose that for me is when i have the PC on to, other wise its fine.
great game though over all :3

Butterjaw

Jun 8, 2010
Brilliant game, clocked both campaigns very nice explanation that could realistically be fitted to the majority of the transformers universes which is nice. I'm just getting into the multiplayer on ps3, not laggy at all I found, until my broadband capped and is too slow to join any games for now...

Times like these I hate NZ for having the worst internet on the planet! ><

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
Butterjaw said:
Brilliant game, clocked both campaigns very nice explanation that could realistically be fitted to the majority of the transformers universes which is nice. I'm just getting into the multiplayer on ps3, not laggy at all I found, until my broadband capped and is too slow to join any games for now...

Times like these I hate NZ for having the worst internet on the planet! ><
But you have the prettiest girls! <3

Xyphon

Jun 17, 2009
KoreyGM said:
He didn't mention it but the PS3 version is really laggy in multiplayer, like unbearably at most times.
Oh Thor yes. This game is a brilliant gem being shat on by horrible online connectivity and it's really pissing me off. I've barely been able to play today because it disconnects so much.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
.[B@lL15T1C said:
.]I was very much looking forward to this, but no split-screen play has kind of killed the co-op for me.

I was planning on winding away some days with the missus playing this, i'd assumed the co-op and horde mode bit would be splitscreen playable much like gears was.

:(

EDIT- then again I might get it when it comes down in price or get it pre-owned.
yeah seriously...I was up and ready to make this one of two special games that I'll actually buy full-price when I found out there was no slit-screen co-op...yup sorry not paying full price for a single player game (online co-op doesn't count for me)

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I found Transformers: War For Cybertron to be very fun. It really seemed to be written for fans of the 80's cartoon show. The game-play was fun and the story was very good. Playing as Megatron and Optimus Prime was quite fun.

I was there was a level made where you could play as Omega Supreme and could have fought Trypticon

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Picked this up on launch day and I've been very pleased. Great controls, some really fun fights, and a surprising amount of challenge. Some of the fights seemed ridiculously difficult until I figured out the trick, but even then it took some maneuvering on my part.

My only real nitpick is that I do feel the aerial combat as a jet in those levels is lacking any real way to dodge when transformed. You can do a barrel roll and move to the side, etc. but you'll still be hit while doing so. That's my only complaint, though, and otherwise it's a really fun game.

I think the multiplayer is pretty balanced, too. It's really a matter of using abilities in conjunction with one another and using the map to your advantage. As a Scientist and Scout you need to get the drop on people (or just snipe them if you're a Scout - lots of fairly easy kills that way). All in all the complete package is pretty good, and I'm looking forward to seeing what High Moon comes up with next.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Darth Sea Bass said:
Not played it yet but apparently activision are keen to kill the horse and beat it already!

Honestly i'll probably never play this just because of it been an activision product!
You do realize Activision are only the publisher and had nothing to do with the making of the game, right?
T:WfC was developed by High Moon Studios, and many of those guys are dia-hard G1 fans.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
Pipotchi said:
The one thing that annoys me about the game is that all the transformers (except the planes obvuously) all turn in to cars, trucks etc. However they dont drive on the floor they just hover about and strafe rather than turn so why do they have wheels?
Have you played the game properly? They strafe and float around in hover-mode, but you just hit the left trigger/L2 and they drop down the wheels and drive as normal.
GloatingSwine said:
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
Not a big transformers fan myself (before my time) but I realy liked this game though certain classes online are OP (tank) and others UP (scout) but otherwise it's a realy good game...
The classes aren't badly balanced at all, really. You might think soldiers are OP compared to scouts if your tactics as a scout are to try and take the soldier on face to face. Leaders can do that, especially with war cry (and their utterly brutal melee attack), Scouts and Scientists, well, can't. But if you're a scout, you have cloak, so you don't need to take the Soldier on face to face, and if you do then you deserve to lose, you cloak, run up behind him, whack him with your melee and then finish him with your shotgun. Or you can snipe him, a headshot with the Null Ray takes half the soldier's health off, and it doesn't exactly have a slow refire rate.

Indeed, the scout is basically the counter to the soldier, it's the one class the soldier is least able to deal with.
Soldiers are massive and slow targets, easily blasted up by the scientist/scouts. I tend to play as the leader class, and soldiers really aren't very overpowered at all. The only problem I face is their whirlwind attack, though I've found a nice counter in 'disruption'. They come swinging, and are so easily caught off guard when forced into their vehicle-form.

Pretty much nothing is unfair in that game. As long as you play strategically, you can overcome anyone. It's incredibly satisfying.

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Anyone who is boggled as to why the Transformers turn into cars and stuff on Cybertron, ask yourselves this:

What should they transform into?
Giant guns that get fired by their incompitent soldiers who ultimately want to see them dead!!! D=<

In all seriousness, though, Cybertron had vehicle forms in the cartoon. The very first episode does have a bit of an interlude on Cybertron and it does show a few Transformers with cybertronian vehicle forms. So there you go.

OT: Game is awesome. Multiplayer is balanced, single players gives you a good challenge, visuals are stunning especially with the constantly moving parts in the world and on the robots and the "Horde" mode is fairly difficult as well. Overall, good difficulty curve without being impossible = transition back to real gaming. At least, real gaming how I see it.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Sonicron said:
Darth Sea Bass said:

You do realize Activision are only the publisher and had nothing to do with the making of the game, right?
T:WfC was developed by High Moon Studios, and many of those guys are dia-hard G1 fans.
Yeah the game probably is good but that's despite it been published by activision not because of it.

Guarentee if this sells at all well activision will get them working on war for cybertron 2: Modern war for cybertron. and then another and another.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
I just have this strange feeling that they shouldn't have been Earth vehicles, until they are here. Actually, I always thought it was weird, until I saw beast wars.

This is something Beast Wars did right. They were just robots until the landed on the planet and searched for appropriate forms as disguises. If they were cars and jets they'd just stand out.

I guess I'd rather they just used generic carish/jetish/tankish things, but then it still wouldn't be right according to G1 canon.

I dunno what I'm trying to say...

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Darth Sea Bass said:
Yeah the game probably is good but that's despite it been published by activision not because of it.

Guarentee if this sells at all well activision will get them working on war for cybertron 2: Modern war for cybertron. and then another and another.
Don't worry, if Michael Bay actually makes Transformers 3 the last one, WfC won't be "exploitable" anymore and dropped immediately, it's the Activision way.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Darth Sea Bass said:
Sonicron said:
Darth Sea Bass said:

Some how, I doubt High Moon Studio's would, and if they did, it would be set on earth.

Activision has had very little input on this, literally all they have done is published it. High moon have done most of the work along with Hasbro, Hell this game has been classed by Hasbro as the Official prequel to the cartoons.

also they are creating toys based off the designs that High Moon created. tbh i think they did an excellent job

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
orangeapples said:
This is something Beast Wars did right. They were just robots until the landed on the planet and searched for appropriate forms as disguises. If they were cars and jets they'd just stand out.
Although, of course, in Beast Wars they were on an otherwise completely uninhabited planet, so it wouldn't have mattered what the fuck they looked like. Also, y'know, if you're trying to blend in anywhere except Australia being a twenty foot long spider is not the way to do it.