Review: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Eagle Est1986 said:
Susan Arendt would quite possibly pass out from sheer glee if someone made an Uncharted movie starring Nathan Fillion.
No! Bad Susan! Nathan Fillion needs to stay away from the games I like! Besides, if (when?) they make an Uncharted movie, surely they should just use the actors that voiced and portrayed the characters in the games?

Damnnit, I cancelled my pre-order for this because I'm trying to save money but I can't help but hear good things about this, now I fear that I'm gonna have to buy it.
I say rent first. That way if you hate it you didn't lose 60 dollars.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
Uncharted movie
An Uncharted movie has been in the works since the first game.And it has the same cast that plays the characters.

OT:Can´t wait to get this game.Just finished the first one 2 days ago.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
The game really is that that good. I also didn't finish the game, but I'm getting dangerously close to the end, and I've been playing some multiplayer now to alleviate the pain that I know I'll feel when I see the ending credits roll. Fantastic game, in all aspects. The single-player is definitely the best part of the game (thankfully).

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Fortesque said:
hmm.. Having not played the first one, i cant really say anything.. however.

This looks like a bad combination of Prince of Persia and Gears of War. Combining a dumbed down version of Gears gunplay and a less acrobatic and less exciting version of Prince of Persia exploration and melee combat.

About 3 of my friends with a PS3 have been saying this game will be the best and win GOTY.. I really cant see it.

If I want to play a game that is pretty much Indiana Jones, Ill stick to Sperlunky.
You can't dumb down Gear's gunplay, it's already the most basic gunplay there is. At least this combines it with the climbing elements. And you act like Gears is all original and unique. Oh well, at least this game has a story, and well thought out characters other than homoerotic macho retards. Plus even the BETA of this game runs better than Gears of Wars laggy multiplayer. 360 fanboys at their best ehhh. I guess the've got nothing else to look forward to so try to bring down the PS3 games. Maybe you will be able to afford one someday :)

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Also...why can't people appreciate a game for being a game? Regardless of what system its on? I guess I just have too much common sense for my own good. -_-

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
RAND00M said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
Uncharted movie
An Uncharted movie has been in the works since the first game.And it has the same cast that plays the characters.
I'm fine with that, as well. I just plain love the characters.
I'd be surprised if a movie version could reach the visual splendour of Drake's Fortune and especially Among Thieves.

If they are making a live action movie with the voice actors, I suggest they hurry since Nolan North is probably pushing 40 if he isn't already.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
RAND00M said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
Uncharted movie
I understand that completely.I mean,if i were gay then i would be all over Nathan Drake.But i'll drool over Elena instead.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Susan Arendt said:
RAND00M said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
Uncharted movie
I'd be surprised if a movie version could reach the visual splendour of Drake's Fortune and especially Among Thieves.

If they are making a live action movie with the voice actors, I suggest they hurry since Nolan North is probably pushing 40 if he isn't already.
That isn't stopping him apperently.You do know that all the cutscenes are first done in live action and then moved into video game graphics.

Apr 28, 2008
I love this game, Naughty Dog seems to be able to bend every Sony platform to its will.

Hell, the demo had about as much, and sometimes even more content than most $15 downloadable games.

And did anyone else notice any load screens while playing through the campaign? I'm playing through a second time and the only load screen I noticed was when I hit "Start game." After that, I don't believe I encountered any load screens. Which in itself is an amazing accomplishment.

Artemus_Cain said:
"I'm sorry... do you have a plan to go along with that grenade?"

That was... pretty good actually.
You need to hear all the bad puns in the game, their in the "so bad their good" category.

Especially the part where Drake and Chloe are on top of a hotel with a pool, you jump in, and he starts saying "Marco" and tried to get Chloe to play marco polo. And when he got out he said "Fish out of water!"

I laughed my ass off.

Darkwolf9

Aug 19, 2008
I agree with Susan on all her points. One thing that I enjoyed that none of the reviews I've read for it brought up is that it does offer many chances to be stealthy. I enjoyed this because A) it was pretty cool for what it as and B) because the guys just didn't seem to magically know you were in the area when you got there. Although in several cases it would be pretty hard not to know if the enemies could here the string of explosions heading their way. I'm surprised Susan didn't mention the multiplayer, which I found to be quite exceptional. It is just plain hard to be bad at the multiplayer if you're any good at the single player. It plays just like the single player as far as jumping, climbing, and steal/action combat. It's also one of the rare occasions that a game has both a great story and great multiplayer.
As far as Fillion playing Drake goes, I think it would be a good choice. The whole game I kept questioning if it was him doing the voice over till I eventually looked it up.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
If they really needed to do it they could film almost the entire thing over a green screen and have the animators go back and really get down to detail especially with the materials. This is used in actual animation the one big problem? Making thing super photo realistic takes a fuck ton of time to render. I mean we are talking about 48-150 hours for EACH frame to render.
Mind you 60 seconds is about 1800 frames.

Irridium said:
Especially the part where Drake and Chloe are on top of a hotel with a pool, you jump in, and he starts saying "Marco" and tried to get Chloe to play marco polo. And when he got out he said "Fish out of water!"
That part was just fucking hilarious. XD

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
I could totally see Drake played by Nathan Fillion. But then again, Nathan Fillion is only the coolest guy alive, EVER.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Now I'm officially convinced that I need to get a job to get the money for this game. It looks so bad ass and epic.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Shinoki said:
Clearly you haven't played the game, nor watched the Indy flicks closely enough. Drake actually DOESN'T like guns, comes up during the museum level (but its weird since he then uses them without a peep for the rest of the game to mow down entire legions of enemies), but depending on your play style fisticuffs come in quite a bit. Also Indy uses guns too. Watch Raiders of the lost arc again, when he is Cairo he shoots a half dozen guys, including the dual sword wielding guy in the crowd scene.
Of course there are gonna be some incidents when the rules change. What I was speaking of though was in general. Indiana Jones uses his firearm at times, but those few moments are typically overshadowed by how he handles situations in the rest of the movie.

Ex. I don't remember him spraying those guys. I'm sure it happened in Raider of the Lost Ark, but I can't recall it over the chase scenes, the interception of the Ark transport, the tiny uniform in nazi sub, and fisticuffs under airplane.

If it happened more often though, I would probably remember it like the dualsword gunshot (which was comical)

As for Drake, I admit I've never played the game firsthand. But all the gameplay I've seen suggests shooting is a normal routine. (Its about gameplay choice like you said, but a lot of scenes make shooting the more reasonable conclusion)

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Great review. I've also put out finishing it too (at 80%), because then all the goodness will come to an end. The story and adventurous feeling really is the best part, but the gameplay is top-notch too. The graphics and art vary from very good to photorealistic, and the sound has DTS (with other options too), so it's a technological masterpiece too.

Heard good things about the multiplayer too, might take a look at it sometime.

mattag08

Sep 9, 2009
Susan Arendt would quite possibly pass out from sheer glee if someone made an Uncharted movie starring Nathan Fillion.
Yup. Thought the same thing with every trailer I watched.