Review: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
So I'm not the only person who hated that museum level? Ok, cool, good to know. Drove me nuts.

And given that Nathan Drake's personality is based largely on Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Fillion seems like the obvious choice for the film. And if they want to cast the magnificent Claudia Black as Chloe, that's fine by me, too.
Really, Drake is inspired by Malcolm Reynolds? That's funny... really funny, as I recall Nathan Fillion has stated several times that he modeled his portrayal of Mal Reynolds on Indiana Jones rather than Han Solo to give the character a bit more heroic charm, which sort of makes this an odd logic loop of loveable rogues based on loveable rogues inspired by loveable rogues.

Justice Shades

Jul 30, 2009
Considering that I was planning on getting this game no matter what the reviews said, I'm liking the positive feedback.

I'm not surprised, of course. If it's anything like the first Uncharted it'll be awesome and well worth the investment. Drake's Fortune was a lot better than a lot of Escapists gave it credit for in my opinion.

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
Just started the game, and it is pretty sweet. Heard a lot of people complaining about the museum level where you have to use stealth. I thought it was pretty much a breeze through (I failed once or twice because I tried something stupid i.e. going straight out octagon with a guard instead of just taking him out quietly). It seemed very much like Arkham Asylum stealth gameplay, and that seriously isn't a bad thing.

P.S.: I was talking about the hard difficulty on the museum level.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Shinoki said:
hansari said:
Indie has intellect and isn't above using his fists. Drake has his youth and whips out a gun quite often.
Clearly you haven't played the game, nor watched the Indy flicks closely enough. Drake actually DOESN'T like guns, comes up during the museum level (but its weird since he then uses them without a peep for the rest of the game to mow down entire legions of enemies), but depending on your play style fisticuffs come in quite a bit.
The reason why Drake was rather hesitant to use a firearm in the museum chapter, was because they weren't really enemies.
They were merely museum staff, and therefore, not a target.

Although, the rules change later on. He doesn't hesitate to use a weapon, because.. Well... He's being shot at. The principles change when he has the advantage upon innocent civilians, versus when he is taking down armed mercenaries ;)

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Fortesque said:
hmm.. Having not played the first one, i cant really say anything.. however.

This looks like a bad combination of Prince of Persia and Gears of War. Combining a dumbed down version of Gears gunplay and a less acrobatic and less exciting version of Prince of Persia exploration and melee combat.

About 3 of my friends with a PS3 have been saying this game will be the best and win GOTY.. I really cant see it.

If I want to play a game that is pretty much Indiana Jones, Ill stick to Sperlunky.
While Spelunky is fantastic, you're a little off about this game.

If you're taking each element seperately, I can understand where one might get the impression that they're VERY SIMILAR to Gears and/or PoP (although calling it dumbed down is definetly a stretch! The shooter/cover elements are at least as complex as Gears, and the platforming is actually abit less made-for-the-braindead than the most recent PoP), when you put these elements together in a game it actually gives you something with a lot more depth than either Gears or PoP.

Imagine if in Gears you were given the ability to jump, climb on things, move extremely quickly from one level to another, pull people off the sides of buildings by grabbing their legs.... it's practically adding a whole new dimension to the gameplay. Believe me, this comes from a big Gears fan, but this game makes me lose really any urge to pick that game up again. Well, save for the fact that I'm still partial to split screen gameplay with a friend and this game doesn't have that. Definetely an oversight.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Very nice game, putting it on my games list under 2018. That's when I can run a PS3 emulator.

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
Mmm.. Nathan Drake...

I'm one of those unlucky people who don't have a PS3, so had to watch someone else play through ALL of Uncharted one AND two. And I gotta say, this game was fun as hell to watch. The ending makes me want to explode with awesome and happies.

Christmas is coming... Guess I should start being nice to my parents. Well- nicer.

Rimefrost

Mar 30, 2009
This game was so much better than Uncharted 1, and I loved Uncharted 1.
I don't think there was one moment in this game where I wasn't having fun.

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
BaldursBananaSoap said:
Fortesque said:

This looks like a bad combination of Prince of Persia and Gears of War. Combining a dumbed down version of Gears gunplay and a less acrobatic and less exciting version of Prince of Persia exploration and melee combat.

About 3 of my friends with a PS3 have been saying this game will be the best and win GOTY.. I really cant see it.

If I want to play a game that is pretty much Indiana Jones, Ill stick to Sperlunky.
You can't dumb down Gear's gunplay, it's already the most basic gunplay there is. At least this combines it with the climbing elements. And you act like Gears is all original and unique. Oh well, at least this game has a story, and well thought out characters other than homoerotic macho retards. Plus even the BETA of this game runs better than Gears of Wars laggy multiplayer. 360 fanboys at their best ehhh. I guess the've got nothing else to look forward to so try to bring down the PS3 games. Maybe you will be able to afford one someday :)
Im no 360 fanboy, I own both a PS3 and a 360. Play them both about the same.

I was just stating a fact about this game.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
Gah, I hate that the PS3 only has 3 games I actually want, which isn't enough to warrant a purchase...

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
AgentNein said:
Fortesque said:

If you're taking each element seperately, I can understand where one might get the impression that they're VERY SIMILAR to Gears and/or PoP (although calling it dumbed down is definetly a stretch! The shooter/cover elements are at least as complex as Gears, and the platforming is actually abit less made-for-the-braindead than the most recent PoP), when you put these elements together in a game it actually gives you something with a lot more depth than either Gears or PoP.

Imagine if in Gears you were given the ability to jump, climb on things, move extremely quickly from one level to another, pull people off the sides of buildings by grabbing their legs.... it's practically adding a whole new dimension to the gameplay. Believe me, this comes from a big Gears fan, but this game makes me lose really any urge to pick that game up again. Well, save for the fact that I'm still partial to split screen gameplay with a friend and this game doesn't have that. Definetely an oversight.
I choose to not see the most recent PoP as a Prince of Persia game. Much like a refuse to see Kingdom of the Crystal Skull as an Indiana Jones movie. Still, I think if you are going to make a game about cave and ruin exploring etc. you need to make it over the top acrobatic. Where is the fun if you cant run horizontally across the wall, grab onto to some tapestry with your sword, slide down it and backflip off the wall only to land on your feet and engage in over the top acrobatic melee combat... hmm.. im going to play Sands of Time again.

LimeJester

Mar 16, 2009
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Shinoki said:
hansari said:
Indie has intellect and isn't above using his fists. Drake has his youth and whips out a gun quite often.
Clearly you haven't played the game, nor watched the Indy flicks closely enough. Drake actually DOESN'T like guns, comes up during the museum level (but its weird since he then uses them without a peep for the rest of the game to mow down entire legions of enemies), but depending on your play style fisticuffs come in quite a bit.
The reason why Drake was rather hesitant to use a firearm in the museum chapter, was because they weren't really enemies.
They were merely museum staff, and therefore, not a target.

Although, the rules change later on. He doesn't hesitate to use a weapon, because.. Well... He's being shot at. The principles change when he has the advantage upon innocent civilians, versus when he is taking down armed mercenaries ;)
While this reason did not escape me, it still doesn't add up. Shooting and killing someone in my books is still shooting and killing someone, doesn't matter if they are a guard or a mercenary. And the guards did have guns, remember the escape part of the museum level? They weren't just pointing red laser pointers at Drake :p.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
The thing I found about Uncharted 2's multiplayer is that it's basically the bastard child of Saints Row 2, Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3 (in order of "homage"). It has the game types of Saints Row 2, the gameplay of Saints Row 2 with a bit of Call of Duty thrown in, the perk system of Call of Duty 4 and the ad hoc party system of Halo 3.

I can see no forseeable way that, in combining these three games, you wouldn't get the best online multiplayer of all time. I'm still getting Borderlands first 'cos I'm a sucker for the style :)

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
Tomb Raider exploration + Gears of War shooting + Arkham Asylum bare fist fighting + Prince of Persia platforming, also starring the Prince

Oh , my favorite part, QTE's without the freakin icons appearing on screen, you just perform as normal within a 'moving stage' rather than a cutscene.

kingkillion

Apr 14, 2009
k i will not sub come to the siren sang of the ps3 i will not .....................even though it has great games

soulasylum85

Dec 26, 2008
amazing game i just finished the story and started on the multiplayer.... now if i could only find some ps3 owners that actually USE a fucking MIC....

Roamin11

Jan 23, 2009
I don't know if everyone at the escapist are great friends and all, but I see yatzee canning this game, and maybe a small fallout between susan and yatzee.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Fortesque said:
AgentNein said:
Fortesque said:

I choose to not see the most recent PoP as a Prince of Persia game. Much like a refuse to see Kingdom of the Crystal Skull as an Indiana Jones movie. Still, I think if you are going to make a game about cave and ruin exploring etc. you need to make it over the top acrobatic. Where is the fun if you cant run horizontally across the wall, grab onto to some tapestry with your sword, slide down it and backflip off the wall only to land on your feet and engage in over the top acrobatic melee combat... hmm.. im going to play Sands of Time again.
I can definitely see the appeal in that, however as you mentioned yourself this is a veeery Indie Jones inspired game. I find it much more satisfying (and fitting for the inspiration!) for Drake to be Spelunking in a (quasi) realistic manner than going all John Woo on those walls.

With all of this said, your original mention of Spelunky reminds me that it pretty much beats the hell out of any game ever. I think I'm going to say fuck it to all these games and go play more of that.