Review: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Roamin11 said:
I don't know if everyone at the escapist are great friends and all, but I see yatzee canning this game, and maybe a small fallout between susan and yatzee.
He's hated every game I've ever liked, so it's really not that big a deal. :)

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
I finished playing Uncharted 2 on Hard difficulty, so I'm gonna throw this out there.

Favorite part: Story: The in-game banter - Gameplay: It's a jack-of-all trades, and a master of most.

Least favorite: Story: it's a little cheesy - Gameplay: Certain situations where stealth attacks are forced(not literally forced, but rather situations where not using stealth when the characters insist you should [ala, "Stay quite and watch me take out these guys"] will ultimately lead to death). Oh and the AI is a little stupid in those stealth sections.

One last thing, Skelzor the skeleton is freaking awesome.

Roamin11 said:
I don't know if everyone at the escapist are great friends and all, but I see yatzee canning this game, and maybe a small fallout between susan and yatzee.
Yahtzee cans every game. Of course he will can this one, it doesn't mean anyone hates him for his opinion, we just recognize that he has a lot to point out that is mostly nitpicking.

p.s. he even can's games he likes, see fallout 3

-AC80-

Jul 10, 2009
Just have to say i have JUST finished this game, breathtaking, b-e-a-utiful settings perfect story, plot twists, action, climbing i think this is probably the BEST game of the year (so far) and it deserves a metacritic rating of 98 to 100 a perfect game and a must buy.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
I've never played this, but honestly it doesn't look as great as people seem to say, maybe it just one of those things you have to do yourself, but I hate cover systems, they are easily exploited to make the game hell.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I didn't preorder it as I wanted to wait for actual reviews. I was going to wait until Christmas to get it until I watched this review, and saw that if features the voice of Farscape/Stargate/Pitch Black's Claudia Black. I then went down to the shops, and got it on release.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Sparrow said:
Damnit.

[sup]I litterally am the only person who doesn't like this game. It's pretty though, I'll give it that.[/sup]
No, I'll agree with your sup simply because I hate all TPS games.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Sparrow said:
Damnit.

[sup]I litterally am the only person who doesn't like this game. It's pretty though, I'll give it that.[/sup]
Wait for yahtzee to get his hands on it, that's what I'm doing.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Chipperz said:
The thing I found about Uncharted 2's multiplayer is that it's basically the bastard child of Saints Row 2, Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3 (in order of "homage"). It has the game types of Saints Row 2, the gameplay of Saints Row 2 with a bit of Call of Duty thrown in, the perk system of Call of Duty 4 and the ad hoc party system of Halo 3.

I can see no forseeable way that, in combining these three games, you wouldn't get the best online multiplayer of all time. I'm still getting Borderlands first 'cos I'm a sucker for the style :)
Well I'm not getting it (despite the fact I have a PS3)because it's stealing all the attention away from Brutal Legend, or at least I feel that it is.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
It amuses me how desperately hard people are trying to hate this game without even playing it.

My opinion doesn't count however as I am intensely biased, anything with the label "old fashioned adventure" that carries the pulpy vibe of Indiana Jones is an instant sell. Definately need to agree with Susan on one thing though, the Helicopter/Missiles/Hotel moment was intensely awesome, and not handled with a cutscene.

EDIT: The man above me is right, Naughty Dog should NEVER make a purely Stealth Level again, that was 1/2 an hour of pure torture! Thankfully they get that out of the way right at the beginning and you NEVER SEE ANYTHING LIKE IT AGAIN.
I don't see why everyone hated the Stealth scene in Uncharted 2, I liked it. Guess my MGS sneaking skills are just more polished ;)

I absolutely love Uncharted 2, and the multiplayer and co-op portions of the game are extremely well done especially considering it's Naughty Dog's first attempt at multiplayer. However, one thing stands out the most in multiplayer, and it's not a good thing; the matchmaking.

Seriously, Uncharted 2 has got to have the absolute worst matchmaking I've ever experienced in multiplayer. Just recently, when I started playing multiplayer at level 1 (I beat the single player first), I was teamed up with nobody higher than level 5 and the other team had level 10-25s. Being that level 1s have no boosters to start with and have very little experiences with the maps, my team ended up losing 10 to 50 kills...

That is not matchmaking, that's slaughter, so I agree with John Funk on the multiplayer portion. Everything else, though, is terrific and is definitely a must buy for every PS3 owner out there, or at least a rent.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
RAND00M said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
Uncharted movie
An Uncharted movie has been in the works since the first game.And it has the same cast that plays the characters.

OT:Can´t wait to get this game.Just finished the first one 2 days ago.
Do you have a source?

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
iamq said:
RAND00M said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
Uncharted movie
An Uncharted movie has been in the works since the first game.And it has the same cast that plays the characters.

Do you have a source?
It was in a unlockable video in the original game.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
RAND00M said:
iamq said:
RAND00M said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
Uncharted movie

Do you have a source?
It was in a unlockable video in the original game.
Which one? I've got the first game, and I've unlocked every video. Can't remember them saying anything about the movie.

dwoo21

Aug 30, 2009
I love the story and the multiplayer is very well done, it fuses jumping, climbing, taking cover, blind firing, and stealth all into one. People may say its a copycat of many other games but its the first GOOD one.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
So I'm not the only person who hated that museum level? Ok, cool, good to know. Drove me nuts.

And given that Nathan Drake's personality is based largely on Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Fillion seems like the obvious choice for the film. And if they want to cast the magnificent Claudia Black as Chloe, that's fine by me, too.
You are most definitely not the only person who loathed that stealth section ;-) I started to get worried during that level, I really did! And yes, an Uncharted film with Nathan Fillion and Claudia Black would be, as they say on the interwebs, made of win =)

I think my favourite part of the game (aside from the stunning visuals, superb cutscenes and pure fun of picking up a downed enemy's gatling gun and hosing the nearby enemies down with bullets, then swapping it for a Dragon Sniper and delicately picking off the stragglers) would have to be the charmingly intuitive and endearing comments that Drake spontaneoulsy makes. In particular I'm thinking of a point halfway through the monastery level where, when faced with a bunch more climbing to do, Drake said: 'I'm so sick of climbing shit!'

madman485

Apr 10, 2009
hansari said:
Shinoki said:
Clearly you haven't played the game, nor watched the Indy flicks closely enough. Drake actually DOESN'T like guns, comes up during the museum level (but its weird since he then uses them without a peep for the rest of the game to mow down entire legions of enemies), but depending on your play style fisticuffs come in quite a bit. Also Indy uses guns too. Watch Raiders of the lost arc again, when he is Cairo he shoots a half dozen guys, including the dual sword wielding guy in the crowd scene.
Of course there are gonna be some incidents when the rules change. What I was speaking of though was in general. Indiana Jones uses his firearm at times, but those few moments are typically overshadowed by how he handles situations in the rest of the movie.

Ex. I don't remember him spraying those guys. I'm sure it happened in Raider of the Lost Ark, but I can't recall it over the chase scenes, the interception of the Ark transport, the tiny uniform in nazi sub, and fisticuffs under airplane.

If it happened more often though, I would probably remember it like the dualsword gunshot (which was comical)

As for Drake, I admit I've never played the game firsthand. But all the gameplay I've seen suggests shooting is a normal routine. (Its about gameplay choice like you said, but a lot of scenes make shooting the more reasonable conclusion)
i must say, there is something you seem to be overlooking.

this is a game. Indiana Jones is a series of movies. there is a certain standard of gameplay youve gotta look for. and there wouldn't be very much gameplay if, at every conflict Nate just talked/charmed/outsmarted his way out of it.

people want to do stuff in a game. if they don't, they should wait for a movie.

dudeman0001

Jul 8, 2008
Lol, at the credits of the video supplement when she was punching a corpse repeatedly, whilst Nate was nearly dead and people were STILL SHOOTING at Nate. Even experienced gamers are allowed to have their nooby moments, anyways I played the multiplayer beta, jizzed a little, watched various trailers & reviews, jizzed s'more, now I'm saving up for the game....and changing my pants. If all goes to plan I should have it next week.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
I had to prove to you that I did read and watched your review. I'll be buying this game. You win. A tip of the hat to you, Susan, you win this round.