Review: Valkyria Chronicles

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
Review: Valkyria Chronicles

Make a BLiTZ for your nearest retailer and buy this game.

Read Full Article

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
Seriously, the acronyms are adorable. Sakura Taisen's dialog trees were marked "LIPS" for "Live Interactive Picture System", and its battle system "ARMS", for "Active Real-time Machine System".

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I love "adorable" acronyms. My alarm system has "Fire - Ambulance - Police" buttons (FAP for short)

Anyway, I love Valkyria Chronicles, it's like Full Spectrum Warrior went to japan, and then came back with a bunch of awesome souvenirs.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Definately one of my favorites of the year. I already wrote a review of it...

...yours is much better though, I had no idea about the CANVAS system.

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
SRSLY, I really want people to buy this. So for people who suspect it of having the typically shallow anime plot the Advance Wars style mentality of "Let's go slaughter the enemy, then get ICE CREAM!", I can confirm that this game hits some pretty grim notes at times. It really runs the spectrum. A really solid narrative.

I'm also mildly disappointed that the game hasn't been getting as much coverage as it deserves, at least not in the north American media. It's a symptom of this giant deluge of AAA titles, but I'm hoping I helped a little with that.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
If you want to sell people on it you might mention that this game is basically grindless, no extra leveling required for the most part since smart tactics can easily get you through most missions.

LumiHawke

Dec 5, 2008
Best Playstation 3 game of 2008 I already call Valkyria Chronicles. All those big brand name games can kiss my rump. Sega finally pulled off a winner in my eyes. Took them over half a decade.

I can't think of any game this year that has had a better combination of story, and unique gameplay as Valkyria Chronciles. It is just different, it isn't a Final Fantasy Clone, nor is it a standard Turn Tactical game, it isn't even a shooter, it's a balanced combination of them all. I have gotten well over 80 hours out of this game so far from two different saved games, and one of which I'm on my 3rd run through the story mode.

klc0100

Feb 29, 2008
A question for you since this is an RPG I am assuming its got allot of hours of game play in it but how long did it take you to finish. (If you did)

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
I love "adorable" acronyms. My alarm system has "Fire - Ambulance - Police" buttons (FAP for short)
lawl, anyone?

very good review. I was deciding between the new Prince of Persia or this game as my next PS3 buy, and this definitely confirms my choice

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
It's pathetic that Yahtzee's poor excuse for a review got more attention than this review did... since this review is actually ACCURATE, fair, and focuses on gameplay, not character style issues that aren't even present in the game. I also took notice that nowhere in the article is the game pigeonholed as a "JRPG". Josh Tolentino accurately describes the game as a turn-based strategy RPG. If only all reviewers had the same integrity...

Keep fighting those strawmen, Yahtzee.

And keep putting out fair reviews, Josh Tolentino... if only the Escapist would promote THESE more than the other stuff they try to sell us on. I mean, is this really an online gaming magazine or a game-related video site with a forum? Let's get our mission statement clear here, okay?

EDIT: Also, this:

PedroSteckecilo said:
If you want to sell people on it you might mention that this game is basically grindless, no extra leveling required for the most part since smart tactics can easily get you through most missions.
Sooooo true.