Review: Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II

Dawn of War II throws RTS convention out the window, and is better off for it. ...Mostly.

Read Full Article

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Ah the Pretty Pony Princess chapter, truly one of the most deadly of all space marine chapters. When you hear the happy lilting melodies of their constant singing over the hills of some foreign world, you will have known the sound of fear.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I always found "destroying their buildings one settlement at a time" to be the most boring things out of an RTS; most satisfying remain to watch your troops slaughter every single one of theirs, which is why I love DoW 2.

@ Pedro
And the Hello Kitty Chapter is rumored to have been branded as heretics for spreading peace across the universe.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I really think the game should be called an SRPG since that's what it is in singleplayer. Yeah, okay, those are usually turn based but there are exceptions and DoW2 is probably the best SRPG overall.

The lack of Chaos forces is a bit sad but then again not every battle can be fought with every force on the same planet (aren't there frontlines that dictate who can meet anyway?) and the CSMs would probably feel too close to the regular SMs so people would feel like they're getting 3.5 factions instead of 4. Only trouble is that feeling is probably going to be even more extreme if the CSMs are an addon faction that you pay extra money for.

The tone of the SP campaign is also much different from DoW1. It feels more like you're a modern mercenary group (that's it, my Force Commander gets to keep the plasma cannon and demonstrate its ommmmmmminous hummmmmmmmm, too bad you can't dual wield heavy weapons) or something rather than a bunch of religious fanatics that will exterminate anything that shows even the slightest doubt of their deity. I didn't know governors were allowed to tell Space Marines off without getting the Inquisition on their butts and discovering a pile of stolen order relics gets handled with an arrest warrant? Space Marines that worry about dead civilians? Is this supposed to be the same universe where any ***** in your fanaticism is a way for chaos to get into your mind and corrupt you?

I wonder how they'll handle expansions, if they'll keep the SRPG system in place and just let you play as other forces...

Rajin Cajun

Sep 12, 2008
KDR_11k said:
I really think the game should be called an SRPG since that's what it is in singleplayer. Yeah, okay, those are usually turn based but there are exceptions and DoW2 is probably the best SRPG overall.

The lack of Chaos forces is a bit sad but then again not every battle can be fought with every force on the same planet (aren't there frontlines that dictate who can meet anyway?) and the CSMs would probably feel too close to the regular SMs so people would feel like they're getting 3.5 factions instead of 4. Only trouble is that feeling is probably going to be even more extreme if the CSMs are an addon faction that you pay extra money for.

The tone of the SP campaign is also much different from DoW1. It feels more like you're a modern mercenary group (that's it, my Force Commander gets to keep the plasma cannon and demonstrate its ommmmmmminous hummmmmmmmm, too bad you can't dual wield heavy weapons) or something rather than a bunch of religious fanatics that will exterminate anything that shows even the slightest doubt of their deity. I didn't know governors were allowed to tell Space Marines off without getting the Inquisition on their butts and discovering a pile of stolen order relics gets handled with an arrest warrant? Space Marines that worry about dead civilians? Is this supposed to be the same universe where any ***** in your fanaticism is a way for chaos to get into your mind and corrupt you?

I wonder how they'll handle expansions, if they'll keep the SRPG system in place and just let you play as other forces...
CSM do not have much in the way of similarities with their Loyalist brethren. Unless you consider Daemons, Nurglings, Plague Marines, Noise Marines, Khorne Bezerkers and Sorcerers to be similar. Relic's problem is in the previous DoWs they pretty much did a cut and paste of the SM which was not even remotely faithful to the CSM.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
I had a real problem with main campaign, I mean it was by turns brilliant, and while the plot wasn't especially deep if was was still pretty fun, however, it's finished off by one stupid stupid ending. And to be fair without spoiling it the final mission starts off pretty epic, lots of killing, last stands etc. Then you get to the last boss, which I have no problem spoiling due to it's crappiness. You were maybe expecting some massive Tyranid monstrosity? Some eldritch tentacled horror? Maybe something heroically challenging? Nope.
You get none of those things, you get a regular sized boss tyranid like all the others you've fought beforehand. And there's nothing even hard about him, just shoot em' down. And he goes down fast, without any of the tricks you may have had to use on some of the other bosses. A big let down.

It's also somewhat of a shame they only had time to do a Space Marines campaign, and although it can last pretty long if you do all the optional side mission, it's still relatively short compared to some other RTS games.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
The game has been fairly amusing so far, but I have to admit I'm perplexed by the acting. DoW had the best voice quips for units I have ever heard in any RTS. Yet, for some reason, the actors speaking during the campaigns sucked as much ass as they usually do.

Unfortunately it's even worse in this game...

I was impressed that they managed to pull of bossfights in an RTS though. Bravo. I just wish there was more variety in the campaign. I also found it to be a bit silly that some of the space marines hadn't heard of the Tyranid...

51gunner

Jun 12, 2008
I'm interested in this game now. I like strategy, but hate the base-building and managing (I find it incredibly tedious, especially like in Generals where it's a pretty much full-time job to manage that: how am I supposed to get a good fight in?). I've been really enjoying Endwar on the console side (as it also does away with bases), but I may pick up this for my PC.

Shame there's no WAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHH campaign. Orks are the bestest.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Less stagnation more WAAAGH!!! is always good.

Tenmar said:
I don't know funk. I know right now my current comp can't handle it but that huge multiplayer change is a heartbreaker for me.
Huh? My PC barely runs GTA IV on medium (barely = lower than 25 FPS) and I can enjoy smooth gameplay in DoW 2. At least I could in Beta, as I haven't bought the game yet. I just have to update my CPU...

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
RedMenace said:
There is only one thing I have to ask: Why the hell did they invent Blood Ravens? I wish they just simply gone with the existing Chapters. [/rant]
That was most likely done so that if need be they can slip from canon without inuring wrath about making changes to said existing chapters.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Wow, Funk, the multiplayer is way better than you make it out to be. Can you control the avatar of war in the campaign? NO! :p - There is also an Annihilate mode, not just victory point.

RedMenace said:
Slycne said:
That was most likely done so that if need be they can slip from canon without inuring wrath about making changes to said existing chapters.
Oh, please, do not look to excuse their laziness (is that a correct sentence structure?). All they need to do to avoid that is to invite over a few guys from GW and torture out of them the precise location of each and every Space Marine chapter along with precise astronomical map of the region and the location of all xenos along with possibility of their incursion on the given territory.

The use of hot iron and pliers has been authorized by the Inquisitorial Department.
So...Blood Ravens are not a "new chapter" that is the love child of The Blood Angels and the Raven Guard?

Learn something new every day. Now the blood ravens seem like they awkwardly fit into the game.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Well, the Orcs are superbly voiced over. For this sole thing, its worth buying.

Trako

Jul 23, 2008
Ah yes... the fabled Pretty Pony Princess Chapter. The only one brave enough to announce its presence! Quite a superb tactic, indeed. Whilst your foes mock you, you have silently dispatched a jump squad to decimate them in their most vulnerable moment!

I of the Ultramarines salute your bravery and unique battle strategy. For the Emperor!

nikomas1

Jul 3, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
I think I'm going to have to get this game. I'm an uber RTS fan.
Well, then you might actually be disappointed, it's as simplified as strategy games go, don't get me wrong, it's an excellent game, but it's not really a strategy game. RTT/RPG would be more correct.

Now... Men of war, that's for real strategy masochists, like me!
Seriously, that game on easy is like any other strategy game on the hardest settings...

*Oh, 100 men and 8 at guns spread across 2 defensive lines, with AT and infantry reinforcements to call upon, and a coastal artillery gun, this will be a breeze*
*700 men and 40 tanks later*
*I better try this one again*