Review: Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
RedMenace said:
There is only one thing I have to ask: Why the hell did they invent Blood Ravens?
Two reasons. One is so that they're not limited by the fluff of the chapter they've chosen.

You use Ultramarines as your story chapter, you get stuffy smurfs, you use Dark Angels, you get Emo Marines, you use Space Wolves, you get VIKINGS IN SPAAAAACE!

Make up a chapter, and you get to make up the character of that chapter out of relatively whole cloth.

Also, it avoids player invalidation. Use one chapter and you piss off people who prefer other chapters, make your own up and you piss everyone off, but you piss them all off equally.

WaffleGod

Oct 22, 2008
played the beta, and I didn't like it that much. the HUD was crap and well.... Why should I get this if CoH gives me about the same thing except the RPG elements which I don't like anyway? :)

Company of Heroes ftw! :D

Ranra

Mar 17, 2009
I really liked the first ones, but I don't know, without the buildings and stuff it just doesn't seem the same

Funkytrix

Mar 26, 2009
"We won. Now get me a fungus beer!"

Don't know why but it always makes me smile after a good game! That said, you should (or could make someone else) write a longer multiplayer review too when the game is better balanced. Pretty much sums up my thoughts about SP campaign though.

I commented about the review in Acti-Blizz vs Relic MM poll. Sorry for accumulating a bit of text
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/375.102488?page=27
Funkytrix said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Funkytrix said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5820-Review-Warhammer-40k-Dawn-of-War-II

We reviewed it, too :)
Sweet! Nice review, that is. Would like it in HQ too (or did I miss the link?). But why is it a shortcoming for SP to differ so much from MP? :S Myself I prefer MP over SP.
Not necessarily a shortcoming for them to be so different - it was just a bit jarring to spend hours learning this one style of gameplay (the SP) and then be suddenly tossed into the MP with req points and power without a proper tutorial. It was disorienting.

Also, I just didn't like the MP as much as I did the SP.
Yeah there should be some kind of tutorial instead of plain bad AI skirmish with annoying tips popping up. That very same AI is so lame taking over dropped/left players in MP, it is quite a mystery why the remaining players can't control those leftovers (at least one thing I'd like from WC3)!

Indeed I did play open beta stage (which was MP only) and that was what made me buy the game. That was my tutorial, boot to the head! And I'm still trying to figure out which race I like the most. Current balance issues don't exactly make it any easier choice. For the time being, fear the Pink Tights Eldar (or die laughing before the joke gets old)! Although the World was saved from further annoyance because I didn't get those shiny metallic paint colors :S

If anyone's interested enough, my GFWL nick is Zuryuken (yes I prefer nonsensical positive feedback over the negative one, mind you).

That's easily the most interesting fight going on atm :) (wow, Relic leads as I edited this post)