Review: Watchmen: The End is Nigh

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: Watchmen: The End is Nigh

You probably expect Watchmen: The End is Nigh to be complete crap. It's not. But that doesn't mean it's not very, very disappointing.

Read Full Article

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I'm surprised Alan Moore still has hair, considering how much he must of torn out after hearing about this.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Wouldukindly said:
SomeBritishDude said:
I'm surprised Alan Moore still has hair, considering how much he must of torn out after hearing about this.
This is a guy who worships a serpent god he admits is imaginary...I think he's slowly losing his grip on reality, lucky him.
Did he ever have a grip?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Never read the comic, never will watch the movie, but the games' trial was decent fun. But I have Streets of Rage 2 and no longer need any other method of beating up dudes.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
SmilingKitsune said:
I'm surprised at how nice it looks for an xbl/psn game, I'll pass though.
I was just as surprised. The devs really did put a lot of effort into it -- this isn't the quickie cash-in most expect it to be. Shame it's just so blah.

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
SmilingKitsune said:
I was just as surprised. The devs really did put a lot of effort into it -- this isn't the quickie cash-in most expect it to be. Shame it's just so blah.
True, It's meant to be the first in a series of episodes isn't it? Maybe they can adress the problems for the next part.

Feb 13, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
If the game is based before Walter went fully insane, why is he talking like that? Before that time, at least according to the flashbacks, he was softly spoken, eloquent, and intelligent - he didn't adopt his trademark speaking style til after he torched the man who killed the little girl and fed her to his dogs.
Kovacs was always a few achievements short and the breaking point between Kovacs and Rorschach actually came in '75 after the murder of Blair Roche. Kitty Genovese's death was his original straining point and I assume that's when Rorschach (and the voice) was first born.

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
SmilingKitsune said:
Susan Arendt said:
SmilingKitsune said:
True, It's meant to be the first in a series of episodes isn't it? Maybe they can adress the problems for the next part.
How? They've set the standard for the gameplay, the form, there's not much they could do to make it Watchmen.
I don't think a game could really be "truly" Watchmen no matter how hard the devs try, but since they put so much work into making the game all sparkly and nice they may aswell try to make the other episodes play better.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
SmilingKitsune said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
SmilingKitsune said:
Susan Arendt said:
SmilingKitsune said:
How? They've set the standard for the gameplay, the form, there's not much they could do to make it Watchmen.
I don't think a game could really be "truly" Watchmen no matter how hard the devs try, but since they put so much work into making the game all sparkly and nice they may aswell try to make the other episodes play better.
I have to agree with that. I don't think it's the dev's fault that the game doesn't feel like Watchmen -- I'm not sure such a thing is actually achievable. Especially not within the confines of an arcade-style game. Maybe, maybe in something more in-depth, like an RPG.

redassassinuk

Legacy
Mar 10, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone remember the Reservoir Dogs game? Why would you extract an ancillary part of the original material to service a game bearing no relation it's source? The answer is money, you may hire people who are passionate, who love Watchmen and don?t want to ?screw it up? but that does not guarantee an adaptation faithful to the source material's spirit. The movie is all action and no soul; the game will have to be something very special to escape the same fate.

It could all have been much, much worse of course. http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/485797