Review: Watchmen: The End is Nigh

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
Generic game, buy only for fanboy sentiments. Ok.

Custodes ipsos custodiet indeed.

As in, I'll just be watching and not buying this one.
redassassinuk said:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/485797
That was awesome.
As a parody of course.

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
That said, I wouldn't say no to a Watchmen LittleBigPlanet pack. You could just dye the sackboy blue, turn on the level editor and call it the Dr. Manhattan portion of the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3PtS2YJQg4
Interesting review, I wasn't even going to bother, but after this review I think the demo might be worth a try, thanks :D

Ilosia

The faceless
Mar 10, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
SmilingKitsune said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
SmilingKitsune said:
Susan Arendt said:
SmilingKitsune said:
I'm surprised at how nice it looks for an xbl/psn game, I'll pass though.
I was just as surprised. The devs really did put a lot of effort into it -- this isn't the quickie cash-in most expect it to be. Shame it's just so blah.
True, It's meant to be the first in a series of episodes isn't it? Maybe they can adress the problems for the next part.
How? They've set the standard for the gameplay, the form, there's not much they could do to make it Watchmen.
I don't think a game could really be "truly" Watchmen no matter how hard the devs try, but since they put so much work into making the game all sparkly and nice they may aswell try to make the other episodes play better.
I have to agree with that. I don't think it's the dev's fault that the game doesn't feel like Watchmen -- I'm not sure such a thing is actually achievable. Especially not within the confines of an arcade-style game. Maybe, maybe in something more in-depth, like an RPG.
Well just making the game a beat em up is pretty much as far a step in the wrong direction as you can get considering that Alan Moore portrayed violence in the book as brutal and primitive, so really they were set to fail in capturing the spirit of Watchmen from the start

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
If the game is based before Walter went fully insane, why is he talking like that? Before that time, at least according to the flashbacks, he was softly spoken, eloquent, and intelligent - he didn't adopt his trademark speaking style til after he torched the man who killed the little girl and fed her to his dogs.
Kovacs was always a few achievements short and the breaking point between Kovacs and Rorschach actually came in '75 after the murder of Blair Roche. Kitty Genovese's death was his original straining point and I assume that's when Rorschach (and the voice) was first born.
No, he said in his testing that he only used Kittys murder as his inspiration to take up his face - "Still Kovacs, pretending to be Rorschach". And if we look to the flashback to the first and last meeting of...what was it? Crimebusters or something? Anyway, there you can see the way he's speaking, and how it differs to him post child-butchering, even as far as seeing the use of typeface in his speech bubbles - using regular print like every other character instead of italicised letters. He was still relatively hinged in those days, he was just turning to it for the same reason everyone else was - he saw a world that needed his help, where ordinary men would not act.
Ok, from What i got out of it. He got his face after that ladys rape/murder(which adapted his voice as well(to hide his identity)) He was weak and let them live(not like Rorschach)but still had the voice he just wasn't completely insane yet. After he burned the guy who butchered the lil girl, he pretty much was knocked off his rocker and saw how the world truly was...full of scum. His voice may have gotten a little more eccentric. Oh and one more thing...he's still intelligent just a bite loopy and extreme to crime.

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
ooo and the game...could have been more graphic...didn't see much blood/bones breaking in the review, which is must for anything Watchmen.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
chickenlord said:
ooo and the game...could have been more graphic...didn't see much blood/bones breaking in the review, which is must for anything Watchmen.
It's this kind of thinking that made the movie laughable.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Wasder said:
Er, Rorschach had the grapple gun. Nite Owl II made it though. I lick of paint and this is Dynasty Warriors.
Not in 1972, he didn't. That's when this game takes place. :)

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Wow, we've got some Watchmen nerds in here.

Sorry, Watchmen enthusiasts.
Here, I'll say this in a way you'll understand.

Rorschach's Journal. March 10, 2009.
Tried End is Night trial game. Repetitive. No depth at all. Devs crazy to charge $20 for this. Sad to see this even made. Thought Watchmen didn't cash in on their reputation. Is this first in series of games? Must investigate further.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
Is it just me, or does it seem like we're being robbed of truly terrible games? The games we could all point and laugh at. Think about it - this, 50 Cent Blood on the Sand and Halo Wars have been profoundly mediocre, but definitely not bad by any stretch - it seems like we are being robbed of our easy targets.

Sonic and the Black Knight is no longer funny, its just depressing. Oh well. Still have big hopes for Soulja Boi, Saw, the Micheal Phelps game and the South Park game to make a big flop.
Play Shellshock 2, and have your faith restored. It's still possible to make an truly awful game. Just because the obvious train wrecks have turned out to be workable, all is not lost.

I mean, my sister and her fiance worked on that thing. I looked at it with rose-tinted glasses, and I still hated it.

I'm not going to lie to you, it has been awkward.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
chickenlord said:
The violence in game is actually one of the redeemers. Its nicely visceral; in fact I think its the first I've seen where not only blood, but teeth get splayed in a punch to the face.

That said, I have to agree with the main points of the review.