Review: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

The second expansion to the world's most popular MMORPG is here, and the world of Azeroth has never been more fun.

Read Full Article

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
ok dude...the review was ok...if i didnt already regularly watch projectlore weekly, It gave tons more info about the expansion, and the entire death knight starter area!

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
chickenlord said:
ok dude...the review was ok...if i didnt already regularly watch projectlore weekly, It gave tons more info about the expansion, and the entire death knight starter area!
http://www.warcry.com/videos/view/wrath-of-the-lich-king-beta

We have covered it more in-dept as well :)

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
You use some form of the phrase "better than ever". A lot. I mean, every other paragraph. There may not be a whole lot more you can say about a second expansion pack, but did you really have to say it so often?

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
I'm sorry but I just have to call this out:
WoW has always been comparatively light on the grind compared to many other MMOs, though there's no question that it still exists.
You're joking right? WoW is one of the most grind intensive MMOs out there.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
TOGSolid said:
WoW has always been comparatively light on the grind compared to many other MMOs, though there's no question that it still exists.
I would say that World of Warcraft falls into the middle ground. It's gotten better through the years, some of the pre-Burning Crusade reputation grinds were mind numbing. A number of other MMOs come to mind with much worse and longer grinds: pre-changes Star Wars Galaxies, EvE Online, Everquest, Lineage and Final Fantasy 11, to name a few.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Some people find that if there is always a quest to do that is not grinding, yeaaaaaaaah about that.. The quests actually looks fun which is a nice change though, too bad Blizzard only implemented them now.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
TOGSolid said:
Final Fantasy XI is grinding. In WoW, you level pretty much by *doing stuff* - questing, instancing, whatever. At no point have I ever found myself going "All right, now my only option is to go kill these same mobs for hours on end." That's pretty grind-lite compared to others in the genre :p

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Good review, my mates who I used to run Kara with have all been convinced back into it and went to pre-order this arvo. I was still sure I wasn't going too...

But this review... I may have to re-asses my monetary management and try and find an extra $60.

Robert0288

Jun 10, 2008
Slycne said:
TOGSolid said:
I would say that World of Warcraft falls into the middle ground. It's gotten better through the years, some of the pre-Burning Crusade reputation grinds were mind numbing. A number of other MMOs come to mind with much worse and longer grinds: pre-changes Star Wars Galaxies, EvE Online, Everquest, Lineage and Final Fantasy 11, to name a few.
I don't recall ever having to grind in EVE online, anyways well done review and I might have to take a look at it sometime down the road.

Feb 13, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
TOGSolid said:
Final Fantasy XI is grinding. In WoW, you level pretty much by *doing stuff* - questing, instancing, whatever. At no point have I ever found myself going "All right, now my only option is to go kill these same mobs for hours on end." That's pretty grind-lite compared to others in the genre :p
Although CoH/CoV kicks that into a tin hat.

I think the thing that keeps me away from WoW was summmed up very well.

"It's may just seem like another set of things to keep you up until 4 in the morning, but at least you'll be having fun."

The Achievement system promotes staying up 'til the early hours just to get intangible rewards. Especially as most of them seem to be either solo-work or guild-based, so non-casual.

Let's face it, even with the social side, if you and your 'mates' (some of whom have very disturbing tendencies) were playing football or any other passtime for 8 hours a day or so; wouldn't you really be missing out on basic...well...living?

Archereus

Aug 18, 2008
i dont care about the grinding, any RPG has it but Blizzard does one thing good at least, it dosent make it supper obvious and adds a bit to the grind, at least it does that. At least theres a new class and there will be things to do, to bad i am working that night

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
The_root_of_all_evil said:
The Achievement system promotes staying up 'til the early hours just to get intangible rewards. Especially as most of them seem to be either solo-work or guild-based, so non-casual.
From what I have seen many of the achievements are actually very casual in nature. Of course as with anything in MMOs you can grind them to the point of non-fun, but if you take them as they come along during the course of playing they are lots of fun to get. Really how can using a toothpick be non-casual? Yeah there is an achievement for it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I think the thing that keeps me away from WoW was summmed up very well.

"It's may just seem like another set of things to keep you up until 4 in the morning, but at least you'll be having fun."

I don't know if I really agree with you on this. I think plenty of the Achievements are completely casual. Like, for instance, I've been going for "The Explorer" title, which requires me to fully uncover all the maps on all four continents (Outland and Kalimdor done, working on Eastern Kingdoms now). That just requires me to ride around the world for a while, I don't need anyone else, I don't need any help to get it done. And I end up with a title. Pretty casual, I think!

Sure, some of the Achievements are pretty intense (clear the Obsidian Sanctum with all three drakes alive, win Arathi Basin 2000-0 in 6 minutes or less, to name two) but that's why they're *Achievements*. You can get plenty of them just playing normally.

And of course, Tim beats me to it :p

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
chickenlord said:
http://www.warcry.com/content/wotlk

We've got more in-depth coverage as well :)

Feb 13, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Like, for instance, I've been going for "The Explorer" title, which requires me to fully uncover all the maps on all four continents (Outland and Kalimdor done, working on Eastern Kingdoms now). That just requires me to ride around the world for a while, I don't need anyone else, I don't need any help to get it done. And I end up with a title. Pretty casual, I think!
Given the small amount I know about WoW, uncovering four continent maps seems way less than 'casual'...Given two hours a night play, how long would you say it would take you to do that?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
maybe a week, tops? Especially given that, as a level 70, you have a bunch of the map uncovered already and just need to make a few discoveries per zone to reveal it all?