Review: Worms 2: Armageddon

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007

Cry, "Havoc!" and let slip the worms of war!

Read Full Article

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Hmm..

I've heard alot of good stuff about this game, I'm even more interested now. Should probably buy it soon.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Honestly, I think this game is the best thing to happen to XBLA since Castle Crashers :)

I'm getting it today!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Oh god..
I remember this game. I loved it so.

It was the first PC game I'd ever played, I think.

Too bad it won't run anymore...

EDIT: Wow, it looks a lot different on Xbox.
To be expected, I suppose.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I haven't tried this version yet, but I've been playing worms since Worms first came out on PC.
I tried the first one they released on XBLA, and found the controls (Especially the ninja rope) were really lacking.

Susan, is the ninja rope still stunted in this one?
Or did they return it to it's former 'get-across'the-map-and-drop-TNT-on-someone-and-get-back-before-it-explodes' glory?

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
Thanks for covering this one! I loved the original but worry when developers over-tweak what isn't broken. It looks like they didn't try to make the worms too cute and they remembered what we came for: hilarious mayhem. I'm glad you had some video of it to show off some of the new graphics and weapons. Definitely looks like fun, will have to put it on my wish list! ^-^

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
This is probably the best hot-seat Multiplayergame game ever created; Ah the memories; and YAY for concrete donkey and super-sheep;

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Oh god..

That's because they are using Worms 3D (PC game) models.

If it's Armageddon, but without the classic graphics and just new weapons... I guess it can be a hell lot of fun, since it's 2D and not another shitty 3D Worms.

I remember spending whole days, playing Worms with my friend (a girl xd) killing each other's soldiers.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I swear when I read the title I thought it said "Women 2: Armageddon." "Cry, "Havoc!" and let slip the women of war!"

Please don't think poorly of me, I just woke up. ;_;

bioVOLTAGE

Dec 28, 2008
I got this to play with my friend at work. I love how you can burn the map down with fire. And, we found out you can bring the dead worms back to life with the lightning strike.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Baby Tea said:
I haven't tried this version yet, but I've been playing worms since Worms first came out on PC.
I tried the first one they released on XBLA, and found the controls (Especially the ninja rope) were really lacking.

Susan, is the ninja rope still stunted in this one?
Or did they return it to it's former 'get-across'the-map-and-drop-TNT-on-someone-and-get-back-before-it-explodes' glory?
Oh, you can Tarzan your way across the board, noooo problem. It's the getting away I suck at. :p

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
carnkhan4 said:
I wonder if they still have 'welsh' as an option for speech?
Unfortunately they don't, which is strange since they have Irish, 2 flavours of Scottish and 4 different English dialects (Cockney, Yorkshire, Birmingham and Liverpool), plus assorted themed English voices.

Some Welsh, West Country and Lancashire dialects certainly wouldn't go amiss.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
bwahahahaha
that was the best part of this review!

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
i loved worms armageddon, but i dont think ill buy this...

simple really, i like the old one so much im still playing it, i played it on tuesday actually, this one hasnt changed enough to make me want to buy it

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
That last thing there looked pretty broken, albeit it was hitting both teams. Still a meteor strike seems a little... well... actually you know what, I take it back. Its perfectly reasonable.

HAVERSHA

Apr 24, 2009
Ive played every single worms game since i was about 6. This so far has been the best. The customisation and great new weaponry from the last 3d version mixed with the addictive simple yet tactical gameplay of the old 2d versions.

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
Angron said:
i loved worms armageddon, but i dont think ill buy this...

simple really, i like the old one so much im still playing it, i played it on tuesday actually, this one hasnt changed enough to make me want to buy it
Well, it does have online play, and the PC version doesn't work for most OS's anymore, so if you want to play against other people besides your close friends (who i'm guessing you have all played against before) then it's worth your money.

Jamash said:
carnkhan4 said:
I wonder if they still have 'welsh' as an option for speech?
Unfortunately they don't, which is strange since they have Irish, 2 flavours of Scottish and 4 different English dialects (Cockney, Yorkshire, Birmingham and Liverpool), plus assorted themed English voices.

Some Welsh, West Country and Lancashire dialects certainly wouldn't go amiss.
Awww, Welsh was one of my favorite speech patterns, too bad it didn't make the cut. Well, at least the old customization options are still intact. It makes for easier character ID, so anything that means I engage in slightly less friendly fire is good in my book.

DogofRaw

Apr 24, 2009
Worms = god of party games.

Thank god its not 3d anymore, It worked perfectly in two dimensions. You gotta love the soulman voice. 'youss a traitor man'

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
DogofRaw said:

Thank god its not 3d anymore, It worked perfectly in two dimensions. You gotta love the soulman voice. 'youss a traitor man'
They have got to get rid of that voice; I swear I will scream into the headset if I hear a worm say " It's a beautiful thing." one more time.

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
Worms is definetly a game I look back on very fondly, it's just so much fun blowing the other worms to peices. This is definetly something I would pick up.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
I swear there were more than six landscape styles in the original Worms 2? I would also appreciate less randomly-generated levels as well, as some of the 'proper' levels are actually quite interesting - there are only six. Me and my friend have had fun on the snow level, and the laboratory is an intricate delight.

Also, no level editor? Hammering the randomise button to get something that looks interesting to play on isn't too bad a compromise, yet there is no outlet for any level-related creativity, which is a shame.

However, the musical score is fantastic (as always), and the sound effects have received a revamp - the boring, low quality samples have been replaced, and now the weapons all sound a lot more satisfying to use - especially the bazooka, which now sounds really quite convincing.

I only have a few more gripes - some of the voice bank samples seem to be of low quality (compare the two smokin' barrels bank to the default one), and there are still occasional AI retardations.

They are still accident prone, especially with a bazooka or with grenades (which is brilliant and hilarious), but they still try to snipe you off the screen with a shotgun - through several inches of scenery. Also, another shotgun related gripe - it has the shortest bloody line of sight ever. So how the fuck does the AI snipe you with marksman accuracy when you aren't even bloody visible on the screen?

All these gameplay problems were persistent in the original Worms 2, which is good really, as it shows the extent of the faithfulness this remake has with the original.

-IT-

Feb 5, 2008
*Starts looking for his worms 2 disc*

Ah nostalgia, great review :)

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
How many summer days did I spend playing Worms with my friends on the Dreamcast? I have no idea. Many perfectly good days.

Susan, my only question is this: is the granny bomb still around?

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Super-worthy purchase (although this is coming from a guy who put about 100 hours into Worms XBLA, so...). This is one of the only games to hold my girlfriend's interest for more than a few days. Even Peggle has failed!

Basically she played enough to get pretty good and now she likes introducing Worms to her non-gamer friends so she can whoop their asses mercilessly. She also whoops my ass half the time.

Since I could never get Armageddon to run on Win XP, this is a release I've been anticipating for a long time. There is, however, a bit of an overwhelming factor: while the first Worms had a fairly modest arsenal, the sheer number of available weapon options for wormayhem can be initially off-putting for beginners. Still, the new map types, new customization options, and new multiplayer game types are great for long-term replayability. I probably would've paid 1200 points if asked.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Good to see they've gone back to the classic 2D Worms. The moment the franchise went 3D was the moment it started to suck.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Possibly one of the most memorable, and greatest, games of my childhood. I wish I had that game...

Emperorpeng

Jun 29, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Oh god..

^^^This.

I only wish this version was for PC as well.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
I wish I had an Xbox right now, just for Worms. Although I've learned from Gunbound that calculating shot arcs is something I am not very good at, so I would more than likely blow myself to bits if I played.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Undead Dragon King said:
How many summer days did I spend playing Worms with my friends on the Dreamcast? I have no idea. Many perfectly good days.

Hmmm, I don't think so. Or if it is, I haven't come across it yet.

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
Is anybody else having trouble with the XBL Multiplayer? I can't seem to find a single game, and I have tried all the options and nothing seems to find a single game, and the last time I tried, it froze my Xbox, which pissed me off.

Vriggchan

Jun 18, 2009
i had this for the n64. awesome game might go pick up an xbox for it, or wait for my bday

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
How I wish I had Xbox live right now..Just to play this..I'll probably just pick up a PC version..Ho hum..

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
I miss the days of recording your own voices and making your own maps. The Xbox is close enough to a computer that they could let us do that, couldn't they? Oh Puh-LEEEEEASE!

Nevertheless. I suspect I'll get it anyway.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Would someone mind telling me what the "Buffalo of Lies" does? I don't recall playing a worms game with that particular weapon.

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
It's really fun like the review says. I've been going through the campaign and it's a blast. At least when I mess up it's fun to watch.

DazZ.

Jun 4, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Undead Dragon King said:

Hmmm, I don't think so. Or if it is, I haven't come across it yet.
Its just called "Old Woman" if that helps.

Absolutly loved Worms Armageddon back in the day, this seems to be improved graphics with the DS versions (Open Warefare 2) coin system of buying hats/other various cosmetic upgrades. As much as I love Worms, dont think its worth me getting a 360 for :p

(Plus I wouldnt be able to play Shoppa on it)
Clemenstation said:
Since I could never get Armageddon to run on Win XP, this is a release I've been anticipating for a long time.
There is a patch made, not from Team 17, that everyone uses for Armageddon now, and its been updated since after the 3d versions with afew minor tweaks. Works perfectly on XP with this if your actually interested :p

4ed

Jul 8, 2009
I've downloaded this and it's brilliant. Great single player and a multliplayer with an infinite number of hours playtime. However, I wish it included more of the features from the original Worms Armageddon. All the modern renditions of the game seem to fall short of that games excellence. Come on Team17, give us some DLC!

forgetfulencinda

May 20, 2009
sirbryghtside said:
2D worms is much better than 3D - think about it - all franchises become automatically worse when they go 3D!
Counterpoint - Mario 64

Funny review for what is probrably going to be a funny game. Though for my own voice related question, do they still have the gangster voice? "Make your move before the ghetto eats you alive."

Laura.

May 30, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Oh god..
It was the first game I played on my own PC :3
This and GTA2.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
4ed said:
I've downloaded this and it's brilliant. Great single player and a multliplayer with an infinite number of hours playtime. However, I wish it included more of the features from the original Worms Armageddon. All the modern renditions of the game seem to fall short of that games excellence. Come on Team17, give us some DLC!
Oh, the DLC's a-coming, of that you can be sure. :)

And no Old Woman, sorry. :(

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I have a question about the Worms AI; I used to play the PS1 version, and the AI sound never utilize certain weapon options, such as Ninja Rope. I got so good at traveling (like a squishy deadly Tarzan) that the AI was never a threat to me. I would have all AIs ramped up to max, and they were still sadly undermatched simply because I would use these options (Ninja Rope).

Example; Two worms seperated underground by a spire, with an opening up top. The AI would try to SHOTGUN its way through rather than use a Blowtorch, or use a ninja rope to get to the top of the spire and then shotgun me. Me? Ninja Rope where I want, and dispatch as I please.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
This version is exactly what I was hoping for with the original Worms game on Live Arcade.
Already messed around with multiplayer and some friends, just the way Worms should be played.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Accurate review. Man Worms was so awesome back in the day. Luckily for me, I ponwed with that ninja rope. =D

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
Pifff... I never used the ninja rope as you speak of it. My mastery of physics let me reign down the wrath of ST. Attila wherever mine enemies lay.

3D wasn't that bad.

danosaurus

Mar 11, 2008
Susan Arendt said:

Read Full Article
Bull of Lies? I never saw that one :(
Love the concrete donkey though!

I remember crowding around my mates 186 and loading the first Worms up through DOS to play hot-seat with a couple of other mates haha.
Good times ^_^

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
This game is awesome.

The weapons are hilarious, even when you blow yourself to bits with them. My friend miscalculated a grenade toss, which blew his entire team into the water. He eliminated his entire team in one turn without damaging the enemy at all.

In most games that would be a source of rage, but in Worms you just laugh.

Jinoru

Jun 30, 2009
Gimme a PC version and I will be a happy camper. but now I'm kinda disappointed.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
I remember playing the original worms with my best friends back in the day, and Worms 2 on the PS2, such an awesome game i have always loved and have always held a special place in my heart.. thank you Susan.. thank you so much.

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
Hamster at Dawn said:
Would someone mind telling me what the "Buffalo of Lies" does? I don't recall playing a worms game with that particular weapon.
Basically it's like an exploding sheep that doesnt bounce and explodes whenever it comes into contact with something, but a new one appears immediatly after the first blows up and runs forward again to do more exploding. It's very effective for killing an enemy that you would normally have to use the blowtorch to get to, or for those rare flat areas where it can plow though multiple worms.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
hypothetical fact said:
DogofRaw said:

They have got to get rid of that voice; I swear I will scream into the headset if I hear a worm say " It's a beautiful thing." one more time.
What? No. The Soul Man voice rules. Not quite so much as Angry Scot, but really.

itdoesntmatter

Dec 11, 2008
Nice review, and for a great game too :)

To those who are complaining about not being able to play on PC anymore - If you have one of the older versions installed and it won't run on your OS, simply open the properties of the game .exe and change the compatibility to run under a previous OS.
You can go as far back as Windows 95...You can even play the original Worms game ;)

Oh and Susan..You really should release books on tape with that voice :)

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Only one thing here matters to me: Do they still have the awesome intro clip, featuring the maiming of Boggy B and co?

Cubilone

Jan 14, 2009
A common misconception is that this is Worms 2. In fact, it isn't! (unfortunately)

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
only time I ever played was a 3 player ffa. the other two eliminated most of my army and then proceeded to kill each other...the one thing they had miscalculated was that they were both in the same hole, far away from me...so I won by throwing a donkey at them XD
shall I count to 3 before throwing the holy hand grenade?
;P

YukoValis

Aug 9, 2008
This is AWESOME. I can't wait for the PC version...maybe even on steam :) Great Review as always, and I have to thank you for putting in the Holy Hand Granade sound. That made my day

LimeJester

Mar 16, 2009
Firia said:
PS: Will there be a PS3 version? :)
Was thinking this myself actually. I had THOUGHT a while ago I heard of something, but upon searching today I can't find anything on it. Sigh just another reason to buy a 360 now. School or 360, it's a difficult choice.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Shinoki said:
Firia said:
PS: Will there be a PS3 version? :)
Was thinking this myself actually. I had THOUGHT a while ago I heard of something, but upon searching today I can't find anything on it. Sigh just another reason to buy a 360 now. School or 360, it's a difficult choice.
Don't do it man! Those things are held together with pinecones and masking tape! If they'd just upgrade to duct tape, it'd be a quality product. Just have patience for the inevitable release of Armageddon. :) It took Team 17 a few months for them to release their HD version of Worms on PSN. So maybe there's a delay here too.

NewGeekPhilosopher

Feb 25, 2009
Shame I don't have an Xbox, or at least a friend who has an Xbox who's not too lazy to download things off Xbox Live Arcade. There was word of a Worms game coming to PS3 but I don't know if that ever happened...

Your lack of frustration in your tone adds to people's good opinion of the game, Susan, keep it up!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Fightgarr said:
That last thing there looked pretty broken, albeit it was hitting both teams. Still a meteor strike seems a little... well... actually you know what, I take it back. Its perfectly reasonable.
Ahh, that my friend is the much maligned, yet so very very loved, and true to name, "Armageddon" weapon. There were maps based solely on this very weapon. Be the only survivor of it as it reduces cityscapes and mountains to piles of debris and rubble, or fly through it to reach some area above the carnage that it brings.

I loved finding this in a crate when a friend wasn't looking, and then using it, and watching as he panicked as it rained delicious, rocky doom upon his worms after laughing at the fact I was burrowing into the ground and how he had a bunch of worms top side ready to drop explosives on me.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Worms could always be summarised in one phrase: "Hee hee hee! .. Oops."

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
I cannot possibly explain to you the amount of time I spent playing "Worms: Armageddon" on PS1 with friends, cousins, little siblings, etc. That game was the 'thing to do' at Christmas before Halo existed.

Aaah man.

good times.

GrandAdmiral

Jul 18, 2009
(crawls in)
(puts down lit stick of dynamite)
Heh heh heh... TAKE COVER!!!
(crawls out)

Grand Admiral

Taneer

Sep 1, 2008
Angry Scots FTW.

I've used that speechbank since the first Worms game I played, and it's still my favourite.

"PANTS!"