Review: Worms 2: Armageddon

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: Worms 2: Armageddon

Cry, "Havoc!" and let slip the worms of war!

Read Full Article

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Honestly, I think this game is the best thing to happen to XBLA since Castle Crashers :)

I'm getting it today!

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I haven't tried this version yet, but I've been playing worms since Worms first came out on PC.
I tried the first one they released on XBLA, and found the controls (Especially the ninja rope) were really lacking.

Susan, is the ninja rope still stunted in this one?
Or did they return it to it's former 'get-across'the-map-and-drop-TNT-on-someone-and-get-back-before-it-explodes' glory?

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
Thanks for covering this one! I loved the original but worry when developers over-tweak what isn't broken. It looks like they didn't try to make the worms too cute and they remembered what we came for: hilarious mayhem. I'm glad you had some video of it to show off some of the new graphics and weapons. Definitely looks like fun, will have to put it on my wish list! ^-^

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
This is probably the best hot-seat Multiplayergame game ever created; Ah the memories; and YAY for concrete donkey and super-sheep;

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Oh god..
I remember this game. I loved it so.

It was the first PC game I'd ever played, I think.

Too bad it won't run anymore...

EDIT: Wow, it looks a lot different on Xbox.
To be expected, I suppose.
That's because they are using Worms 3D (PC game) models.

If it's Armageddon, but without the classic graphics and just new weapons... I guess it can be a hell lot of fun, since it's 2D and not another shitty 3D Worms.

I remember spending whole days, playing Worms with my friend (a girl xd) killing each other's soldiers.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I swear when I read the title I thought it said "Women 2: Armageddon." "Cry, "Havoc!" and let slip the women of war!"

Please don't think poorly of me, I just woke up. ;_;

bioVOLTAGE

Dec 28, 2008
I got this to play with my friend at work. I love how you can burn the map down with fire. And, we found out you can bring the dead worms back to life with the lightning strike.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Baby Tea said:
I haven't tried this version yet, but I've been playing worms since Worms first came out on PC.
I tried the first one they released on XBLA, and found the controls (Especially the ninja rope) were really lacking.

Susan, is the ninja rope still stunted in this one?
Or did they return it to it's former 'get-across'the-map-and-drop-TNT-on-someone-and-get-back-before-it-explodes' glory?
Oh, you can Tarzan your way across the board, noooo problem. It's the getting away I suck at. :p

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
carnkhan4 said:
I wonder if they still have 'welsh' as an option for speech?
Unfortunately they don't, which is strange since they have Irish, 2 flavours of Scottish and 4 different English dialects (Cockney, Yorkshire, Birmingham and Liverpool), plus assorted themed English voices.

Some Welsh, West Country and Lancashire dialects certainly wouldn't go amiss.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
i loved worms armageddon, but i dont think ill buy this...

simple really, i like the old one so much im still playing it, i played it on tuesday actually, this one hasnt changed enough to make me want to buy it

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
That last thing there looked pretty broken, albeit it was hitting both teams. Still a meteor strike seems a little... well... actually you know what, I take it back. Its perfectly reasonable.

HAVERSHA

Apr 24, 2009
Ive played every single worms game since i was about 6. This so far has been the best. The customisation and great new weaponry from the last 3d version mixed with the addictive simple yet tactical gameplay of the old 2d versions.

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
Angron said:
i loved worms armageddon, but i dont think ill buy this...

simple really, i like the old one so much im still playing it, i played it on tuesday actually, this one hasnt changed enough to make me want to buy it
Well, it does have online play, and the PC version doesn't work for most OS's anymore, so if you want to play against other people besides your close friends (who i'm guessing you have all played against before) then it's worth your money.

Jamash said:
carnkhan4 said:
I wonder if they still have 'welsh' as an option for speech?
Unfortunately they don't, which is strange since they have Irish, 2 flavours of Scottish and 4 different English dialects (Cockney, Yorkshire, Birmingham and Liverpool), plus assorted themed English voices.

Some Welsh, West Country and Lancashire dialects certainly wouldn't go amiss.
Awww, Welsh was one of my favorite speech patterns, too bad it didn't make the cut. Well, at least the old customization options are still intact. It makes for easier character ID, so anything that means I engage in slightly less friendly fire is good in my book.