Review: Worms 2: Armageddon

DogofRaw

Apr 24, 2009
Worms = god of party games.

Thank god its not 3d anymore, It worked perfectly in two dimensions. You gotta love the soulman voice. 'youss a traitor man'

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
DogofRaw said:
Worms = god of party games.

Thank god its not 3d anymore, It worked perfectly in two dimensions. You gotta love the soulman voice. 'youss a traitor man'
They have got to get rid of that voice; I swear I will scream into the headset if I hear a worm say " It's a beautiful thing." one more time.

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
Worms is definetly a game I look back on very fondly, it's just so much fun blowing the other worms to peices. This is definetly something I would pick up.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
I swear there were more than six landscape styles in the original Worms 2? I would also appreciate less randomly-generated levels as well, as some of the 'proper' levels are actually quite interesting - there are only six. Me and my friend have had fun on the snow level, and the laboratory is an intricate delight.

Also, no level editor? Hammering the randomise button to get something that looks interesting to play on isn't too bad a compromise, yet there is no outlet for any level-related creativity, which is a shame.

However, the musical score is fantastic (as always), and the sound effects have received a revamp - the boring, low quality samples have been replaced, and now the weapons all sound a lot more satisfying to use - especially the bazooka, which now sounds really quite convincing.

I only have a few more gripes - some of the voice bank samples seem to be of low quality (compare the two smokin' barrels bank to the default one), and there are still occasional AI retardations.

They are still accident prone, especially with a bazooka or with grenades (which is brilliant and hilarious), but they still try to snipe you off the screen with a shotgun - through several inches of scenery. Also, another shotgun related gripe - it has the shortest bloody line of sight ever. So how the fuck does the AI snipe you with marksman accuracy when you aren't even bloody visible on the screen?

All these gameplay problems were persistent in the original Worms 2, which is good really, as it shows the extent of the faithfulness this remake has with the original.

-IT-

Feb 5, 2008
*Starts looking for his worms 2 disc*

Ah nostalgia, great review :)

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
How many summer days did I spend playing Worms with my friends on the Dreamcast? I have no idea. Many perfectly good days.

Susan, my only question is this: is the granny bomb still around?

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Super-worthy purchase (although this is coming from a guy who put about 100 hours into Worms XBLA, so...). This is one of the only games to hold my girlfriend's interest for more than a few days. Even Peggle has failed!

Basically she played enough to get pretty good and now she likes introducing Worms to her non-gamer friends so she can whoop their asses mercilessly. She also whoops my ass half the time.

Since I could never get Armageddon to run on Win XP, this is a release I've been anticipating for a long time. There is, however, a bit of an overwhelming factor: while the first Worms had a fairly modest arsenal, the sheer number of available weapon options for wormayhem can be initially off-putting for beginners. Still, the new map types, new customization options, and new multiplayer game types are great for long-term replayability. I probably would've paid 1200 points if asked.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Possibly one of the most memorable, and greatest, games of my childhood. I wish I had that game...

Emperorpeng

Jun 29, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Oh god..
I remember this game. I loved it so.

It was the first PC game I'd ever played, I think.

Too bad it won't run anymore...

EDIT: Wow, it looks a lot different on Xbox.
To be expected, I suppose.
^^^This.

I only wish this version was for PC as well.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
I wish I had an Xbox right now, just for Worms. Although I've learned from Gunbound that calculating shot arcs is something I am not very good at, so I would more than likely blow myself to bits if I played.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Undead Dragon King said:
How many summer days did I spend playing Worms with my friends on the Dreamcast? I have no idea. Many perfectly good days.

Susan, my only question is this: is the granny bomb still around?
Hmmm, I don't think so. Or if it is, I haven't come across it yet.

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
Is anybody else having trouble with the XBL Multiplayer? I can't seem to find a single game, and I have tried all the options and nothing seems to find a single game, and the last time I tried, it froze my Xbox, which pissed me off.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
I miss the days of recording your own voices and making your own maps. The Xbox is close enough to a computer that they could let us do that, couldn't they? Oh Puh-LEEEEEASE!

Nevertheless. I suspect I'll get it anyway.