Review: Zeno Clash

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: Zeno Clash

Zeno Clash isn't quite as good as it is strange ... but it's close.

Read Full Article

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
Nice review, and that game looks really interesting.
But it's only available on steam and I don't have a credit card.... dammit.

Kirra

Apr 14, 2009
A game like that could only be made while on a month long acid trip. I doubt anyone sober could come up with such creatures. It's original at least.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
That was probably the best review I have seen on this site so far. I tend to dislike the reviews here, but this one has me intrigued, nice job.

You should do more reviews in the future.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
aBlackKnight said:
A warning:: The brawls start to get boring after the third encounter or so, trust me they do.
I didn't think so. They kept me interested, anyway.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
I bought this game, it is brilliant!

One of the best indie games ever (not as amazing as DEFCON or World of Goo though)

Loved the review, but did you know, this week (possibly) they are adding some patches and DLC?

Is it longer or shorter than Portal?

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
It's interesting that the same criticism of Chronicles of Riddick came up in this game: brawling is fun & new, shooting things is getting old. I'm all for the FPS genre changing things up a bit and that seems as good a way as any.

Mirror's Edge got the ball rolling (before dropping it) and now these games seem to be pushing it even more. I wonder what's next, a sword fighting game from the FPS that actually works?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Cheesebob said:

One of the best indie games ever (not as amazing as DEFCON or World of Goo though)

Loved the review, but did you know, this week (possibly) they are adding some patches and DLC?

I'd say longer than Portal. It's probably halfway between Portal and one of the HL2 episodes in length.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Cheesebob said:

I'd say longer than Portal. It's probably halfway between Portal and one of the HL2 episodes in length.
Perfect then :D thanks.

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
aBlackKnight said:
A warning:: The brawls start to get boring after the third encounter or so, trust me they do.
I didn't think so. They kept me interested, anyway.
Yeah, they are nice, but right at the beginning you know 3 techniques
that fast punch combo
the charge punch
and the knee to the head.

And, well most of the time I did charge punch + knee, always...

The other thing that "annoys" me is the lack of a chart, to lookup the combos you can do and how extremely linear (and small) the maps are and the lack of jumping.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I now sure if it was down to Funk or the bizarre character and levels designs, but this review was a joy to watch...

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I threw the game into my Steam basket when I was buying UT3 and ZC was 50% off (that was quite a while before the release) since it neatly fit into the 20€ I had uploaded to my PayPal account. Definitely interesting though I really can't understand much of what some characters (e.g. Metamok, the tutorial dude) say (then again the same goes for all games on the Source engine, fortunately they support subtitles). The game did leave a slightly bad taste in my mouth though since when it finally got released and I played it my graphics card burned out (VRAM overheat, caused permanent damage). OTOH I got a significantly better one for 70€ because the broken one was already 5 years old.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Hey, you know what this game looks exactly like? Breakdown, a game that I loved to pieces on the Original Xbox, and one I still count as my favorite game of all time. Problem is, noone has ever heard of Breakdown, so everyone thinks this is new and exciting. If you need me, I'll be over in a corner being a fanboy.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
It certainly Looks interesting. I said the same of a few other indie games. Dyson wowed me, Castle Crashers was a resounding "meh" and Mount & Blade was just "gouge my eyes out with forks" annoying. I may give it a try just for the uniqueness of it (the Killer 7 argument)