Review: Zombie Driver

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: Zombie Driver

Looks like the Left 4 Dead guys could stand to take a few pointers.

Read Full Article

capacollo

Nov 17, 2009
Sounds fun but wonder about the replay value but for only $10 I wouldnt expect too much.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Games for $10 on Steam that are better than Zombie Driver:

Note: These games may or may not be better than Zombie Driver however tests have shown that they have a significantly higher percentage chance of meeting an individuals quota and concept of what equates to entertainment but yours may differ significantly as you are a unique snowflake and no two peoples taste is ever identical.

Audiosurf
Counterstrike
Defense Grid
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
Evil Genius
Fallout
Fallout 2
GTA: III
GTA: Vice City
Half Life: Source
Hitman 2
Hitman: Blood Money
Indigo Prophecy
Majesty Gold
Max Payne
Max Payne 2
Peggle Deluxe
Plants VS Zombies
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Psychonauts
QuantZ
Rome: Total War Gold
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Star Wars: Jedi Knight Academy
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
The Longest Journey
The LucasArts Adventure Pack
The Path
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
Tropico Reloaded
X3: Reunion
Zombie Shooter 2

Games for $5 on Steam that are better than Zombie Driver:

Note: See previous note. With exception to Civ3 because Sid Meiers is your god and you should bow down and worship him! Behold our golden statue of you, our beloved Meier's!

Alien Shooter
Alien Shooter 2
Civilization III Complete
Day of Defeat
Freedom Force
Freedom Force VS the 3rd Reich
Port Royale 2
Team Fortress Classic
X-Com: Terror from the Deep
X-Com: UFO
X2: The Threat
Zombie Shooter

Torchlight was $10 on Steam last weekend also... infinitely better quality and value than Zombie Driver.

Just because its only $10, does not mean that you have to settle or lower your expectations. A poor quality game is still a poor quality game, regardless of price.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Void(null) said:
Games for $10 on Steam that are better than Zombie Driver:

Audiosurf
Counterstrike
Defense Grid
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
Evil Genius
Fallout
Fallout 2
GTA: III
GTA: Vice City
Half Life: Source
Hitman 2
Hitman: Blood Money
Indigo Prophecy
Majesty Gold
Max Payne
Max Payne 2
Peggle Deluxe
Plants VS Zombies
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Psychonauts
QuantZ
Rome: Total War Gold
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Star Wars: Jedi Knight Academy
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
The Longest Journey
The LucasArts Adventure Pack
The Path
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
Tropico Reloaded
X3: Reunion
Zombie Shooter 2

Games for $5 on Steam that are better than Zombie Driver:

Alien Shooter
Alien Shooter 2
Civilization III Complete
Day of Defeat
Freedom Force
Freedom Force VS the 3rd Reich
Port Royale 2
Team Fortress Classic
X-Com: Terror from the Deep
X-Com: UFO
X2: The Threat
Zombie Shooter

Torchlight was $10 on Steam last weekend also... infinitely better quality and value than Zombie Driver.

Just because its only $10, does not mean that you have to settle or lower your expectations. A poor quality game is still a poor quality game, regardless of price.
Zombie Driver isn't great by any stretch of the imagination, and I'd agree that Torchlight is better, but it was still somewhat entertaining for a while.

There are worse games to spend your money on.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Chemical zombies instead of necromantic or viral ones is actually a concept we don't see all that often. It feels rather Soviet-ish (what with the game being made by some guys in Eastern Europe and having it as a setting).

Void(null) said:
Yes, but it's also fairly original - isn't it? There weren't too many games in the vein of Carmaggedon.

AdamI

Mar 16, 2009
This game is seriously bad. Apart from the horrific motion-sickness it induces, it's old after about 5 minutes.

Would make a reasonable, free flash game that one might send as a vaguely comedic Christmas card alternative.

Awful game. Considering it's so cheap, I consider it quite a feat to represent dreadful value for money.

IMO.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Kollega said:
Void(null) said:
Yes, but it's also fairly original - isn't it? There weren't too many games in the vein of Carmaggedon.
Original does not equate to good.

Something can be original AND good, but unfortunately Zombie Driver missed this mark by a mile and a half, and a large brick wall with "You suck" written on it in graffiti that was done by a small group of people who were foolish enough to buy this game when it came out and have formed there own little club hell bent on getting some form of enjoyment out of it, even if that is setting it on fire and snorting the ashes with really think McDonald's Milkshake straws that always seem to collapse and become structural unsound when you get one of those lumps in the shake which you're not sure if its really strawberry or some strange red hard jelly but regardless forever ruins the straw and every time you try to suck with it from that point on folds in the center and ruins any form of suction so you have to wait for the shake to melt a bit which completely defeats the purpose of getting one of those extra thick shakes to begin with.

I had a point here somewhere.

AGHHHH! Wall of text!

*Runs away screaming*

Oh right... Zombie Driver. Is it really that original when we can call it Carmageddon with Zombies? Isn't that just taking an existing concept and adding zombies into it, which seems to be what everyone is doing these days?

Don't get me wrong, I like killing Zombies. I REALLY like killing Zombies. But I am getting sick and tired of people releasing half assed games of exceptionally poor quality but that being ok BECAUSE IT HAS ZOMBIES IN IT!

No. bad game is bad.

I like Carmen Electra but that doesn't mean if you put her in Daikatana it suddenly becomes a worth while purchase. Hold on, is she naked? Because that may be worth $10.

Brb, going to mod naked Carmen Electra into Daikatana to test this theory.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
http://www.officegamespot.com/flashgames/zombie-taxi-2.htm

Drive your car around the city saving people from the flesh hungry zombies. Earn money by successfully transporting people safely to the drop zone and by runnung over as many zombie freaks as you can.

Differences:
Zombies can only damage your car in zombie driver.
You pay for zombie driver.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Given the choice, I'd rather buy Zombie Driver than Gyromancer. Hard to really recommend either one, though.

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
It basically had no replay value. Played through it once and deleted it. Considering a movie costs 13$ and this game is $10 and they last about the same length it's value is equivalent to watching a movie in a high priced theater without the pop corn or pop.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Given the choice, I'd rather buy Zombie Driver than Gyromancer. Hard to really recommend either one, though.
Good lord, get this man a decent game STAT!

I need 50cc's of quality game play and a shot of entertainment or we are going to lose him!

Yes, there are worse games. But that still doesn't make Zombie Driver a good game. Standing next to the really ugly fat relative with half his teeth missing doesn't really make you more attractive, it just makes you more attractive by comparison.

You don't have to recommend Zombie Driver OR Gyromancer, you can dislike both equally. What you can do however, is find and enjoy a good game, then tell us all about it and clue us in! Because I promise you, they do still exist!

Do not settle for mediocrity because its only $10!

YukoValis

Aug 9, 2008
I played the hell out of it, and enjoyed every moment. It's a lot of fun running into hordes of zombies. The problem with the game is the obvious story if any, and zombies types ripped right out of L4D. Sure it makes the same interesting, but when I saw a bloated zombie that explodes near me I couldn't help but shout out "boomer".

It's a decent game, which can even be modded for a night time mode, just don't expect that much out of it.

Oh and you with the list of games better then this... hush. All games being better or worse is pure speculation and personal opinion.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Perhaps that should have been renamed "Games on Steam that are only $10 and have a significantly higher percentage chance of meeting an individuals quota and concept of what equates to entertainment but yours may differ significantly as you are a unique snowflake and no two peoples taste is ever identical."

You know, That's a great idea!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Void(null) said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Good lord, get this man a decent game STAT!

I need 50cc's of quality game play and a shot of entertainment or we are going to lose him!

Yes, there are worse games. But that still doesn't make Zombie Driver a good game. Standing next to the really ugly fat relative with half his teeth missing doesn't really make you more attractive, it just makes you more attractive by comparison.

You don't have to recommend Zombie Driver OR Gyromancer, you can dislike both equally. What you can do however, is find and enjoy a good game, then tell us all about it and clue us in! Because I promise you, they do still exist!

Do not settle for mediocrity because its only $10!
Well yes, but there's somebody in the world who's bound to get enjoyment out of any game, especially one as cheap as this. So I can recommend it to a specific SUBSET of gamer, even if not to gamers as a whole.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Well yes, but there's somebody in the world who's bound to get enjoyment out of any game, especially one as cheap as this. So I can recommend it to a specific SUBSET of gamer, even if not to gamers as a whole.
But that is not what a game review is about. You can't make every game seem average with recommendation to buy because "There are worse games out there" on the off chance that you may offend the one in a thousand people who enjoyed the game, because the other 999 people you knew would dislike the game are going to be pissed.

Have courage behind your conviction. You either enjoyed the game despite its flaws and simple premise, finding the zombie killing grind cathartic and entertaining. Or the game was dull, repetitive and a waste of time.

Don't justify it to yourself one way or the other with "Its only $10" because that's a cop out.

If you actually enjoyed the game, Just say it! Everyone has their guilty pleasure.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Void(null) said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
But that is not what a game review is about. You can't make every game seem average with recommendation to buy because "There are worse games out there" on the off chance that you may offend the one in a thousand people who enjoyed the game, because the other 999 people you knew would dislike the game are going to be pissed.

Have courage behind your conviction. You either enjoyed the game despite its flaws and simple premise, finding the zombie killing grind cathartic and entertaining. Or the game was dull, repetitive and a waste of time.

Don't justify it to yourself one way or the other with "Its only $10" because that's a cop out.

If you actually enjoyed the game, Just say it! Everyone has their guilty pleasure.
I disagree. I think that's exactly what it's about - is someone getting value for their money?

I enjoyed it somewhat as a mindless little "ooh drive and WATCH ALL OF THE EXPLOSIONS" game, and obviously other people will agree or disagree, but I think price is certainly a factor when taking everything in to comparison. The purpose of a review is to let our readers know, "Should I spend my money on this game?" If this game were $20 or god forbid full retail price, the answer would be a "hell no!" But I think reviews do need to answer a question of value - if you like X, you may find value in spending your money on Y.