Review: Zombie Driver

Donrad

Aug 21, 2008
this game look pretty bad, like that game zombie apocalypse(that the name?) from XBLA
i bought it thinking to get a great day but after playing 100 of the exact same levels... well. yea

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
The purpose of a review is to let our readers know, "Should I spend my money on this game?" If this game were $20 or god forbid full retail price, the answer would be a "hell no!" But I think reviews do need to answer a question of value - if you like X, you may find value in spending your money on Y.
I agree, Value is certainly a factor. One of the reasons I disliked Gears of War was its lack of value and one of the reasons I love Civilization is that it provides hundreds, if not thousands of hours of entertainment.

But low price should not be a games only saving grace, nor should price be an excuse for poor game design.

Audiosurf was only $10 and is an absolutely amazing game. Its unique, innovative, its well designed and it offers an amazing amount of replay value. Would Audiosurf have been so successful as a $50 game? No. But it was priced well and also happens to be a great game.

I don't get that vibe from Zombie Driver. I get "They half assed things and its really repetitive but its only $10."

Deudanann

May 12, 2009
> Sometimes the game varies it up with a time limit, or by asking you to do another task, but these other side missions are always asking you to do the same thing you're already doing - the wanton slaughter of the undead. These can be frustrating, since when you're given a mission like "kill 200 zombie dogs," there's no way to track your progress, so all you do is drive around killing zombie dogs until you're given the notification that you've completed the mission.

There's a counter on the bottom left.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
What the hell is up with people that see a topdown game and immediately reference GTA:CTW. The first three GTAs were top down (1, 2, and London). Or Death Rally? You know? Good grief. I was shocked when people saw that GTA and were surprised by the view. Anyway /endrant

Zombie Driver a fun game, you'll play it, beat it, laugh, never touch it again, forget about it, get the urge to just run over something and fire it back up again. It's fun for sure.

paralost

Aug 7, 2009
man there sure do seem to be a lot of zombie games recently. yah they're fun but i mean c'mon don't abuse the genre. just because things have zombies doesn't mean it's going to be fun or cool and just because you add zombies doesn't make your game fun or cool. i mean if they were human it would be GTA (sorta) or if they were shiny vampires it would be an awesome anti-twilight game. all i am saying is give the zombies a break... just wait a few years you'll get to live this game ;)

Stone Cold Monkey

Mar 5, 2008
Reminds me of an old 80's game called Choplifter. Sure it is top down view, has zombies for enemies and trades the helicopter for a car, but in the end it is about picking up people and dropping them off.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
There are some games that are just made for people like me; this happens to be one of them. I loves me some zombie-killing and I really enjoyed the classic GTA games so combining the two will make for an incredibly entertaining experience. I cannot wait to get my mitts on this title. Now if only I had a computer that works...

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
In a strange twist of Fate, Steam drops there Christmas Sale with all Steam titles being up to 80% off, which puts the majority of their library under $10.

If you cant find something Cheaper than $10 a significantly better than Zombie Driver now, then you are simply not looking.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I'm starting to feel sorry for Zombies. They seem to be getting a lot of bad press in the gaming industry these days...

Windu1

Dec 5, 2009
I would pay 10 dollars for a good old fashioned zombie fest gotta help the little guys.

Kstreitenfeld

Mar 27, 2009
Played this game for about 2 hours, I had a decently fun time while doing it. Also people are getting motion sickness from this? I guess I'm not effected since I normally do things like read books during car rides but w/e

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
JimmyBassatti said:
Void(null) said:
In a strange twist of Fate, Steam drops there Christmas Sale with all Steam titles being up to 80% off, which puts the majority of their library under $10.

If you cant find something Cheaper than $10 a significantly better than Zombie Driver now, then you are simply not looking.
Why can't someone get the game, if they want to? Why do you have to sit in this thread to tell people not to get the game? Why can't people think for themselves once?
He never said not to get the game, he said there were games of far better quality also available, and as such it seems pointless to get this game just because of it's price. He is recommending that you don't get the game, not telling you. No point in getting upset over a recommendation, if you play it anyway and enjoy it, then all the power to you.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
JimmyBassatti said:
Liquid Paradox said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Void(null) said:

Why can't someone get the game, if they want to? Why do you have to sit in this thread to tell people not to get the game? Why can't people think for themselves once?
He never said not to get the game, he said there were games of far better quality also available, and as such it seems pointless to get this game just because of it's price. He is recommending that you don't get the game, not telling you. No point in getting upset over a recommendation, if you play it anyway and enjoy it, then all the power to you.
I'm not getting upset. I find it odd that he is sitting here trying to prove someone's opinion wrong. Just like it's my opinion to tell him that the games he named were mostly shit, and you'd be stupid to get any.
Well, to be fair, the way you worded it made it sound like you were upset, or at least annoyed.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
Well yes, but there's somebody in the world who's bound to get enjoyment out of any game, especially one as cheap as this. So I can recommend it to a specific SUBSET of gamer, even if not to gamers as a whole.
I thought that was the point of modern gaming. Making games for people who don't normally play games.

I mean most of what is out now seems like really shiny but ultimately hollow versions of games in the past. Not all by any means, I have played some new games that made me very happy, but overall it just seems like someone realized that millions of people weren't playing video games and found out what they like "shiny turds". I don't hate them for it. Hate the shiny turd lovers if anyone and even then not much.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
JimmyBassatti said:
That was the general idea yes, for people to think for themselves and make their own decision based upon a broader selection of information.

The Reviewer is free to make their recommendation, I am free to disagree and make mine, you are free to disagree with that and make yours. And people reading this thread will make their way through the differing opinions, add the information to their own and make a decision for themselves.

Isn't the free trade of ideas and opinions grand? One could almost confuse this with a forum [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_%28Roman%29] or something.

Lord of Maggots

Dec 24, 2009
"Happy Hollidays, You zombie bastards" reminded me of the funnies movie i might have ever seen. "Die You Zombie Bastards" its a tough to find indie film but it was funny as hell. and i only paid about 10 bucks for it. xD