reviewers getting paid to give good reviews

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Sarge034 said:
And this is a summary of my problems. Yes, the publishers would want to keep this under wraps but the reviewers are under no obligation to. Why didn't one reviewer at that event where tablets were given out say no on the spot and post the shenanigans? Could it be they fear the repercussions of the publisher? Does that not prove my point in it's entirety?
There are many things to consider. Please remember that this is still a job. It's like... in retail you sometimes get horrible costumers, but you have to stay polite even though you want to punch them in the face? It's kinda like that. Many gamejourno's are freelancers, but when they're at events they're often representing the publication they got the assignment from. You don't want to cause any unneccesary waves and lose your mag/site ad money (income from ads is extremely important!) or other much needed privileges.

Of course this is far from ideal, but as a journalists you find ways to deal with it that aren't dickish towards either publishers, your publication or your readers. You politely decline, you accept it and donate it to charity... Raising a big shit is not something most can afford, and I wonder if that's really the right attitude anyway.

As for the tablet thing, we're talking Ubisoft, right? Watch_Dogs preview event? I recall journalists on twitter did go all 'Oh, Ubisoft... seriously?'. Ubisoft later apologised.

I didn't say you did. I never told you to. I've met really cool and nice lawyers, doesn't change the fact that lawyers (as a group) have a shit reputation. They (as a group) earned that rep over years of scum and villainy. I'm just drawing parallels.
But you seem to expect it nonetheless. There is no good rep I can protect other than my own and that of the places I work for.

Then you agree with me? People showing their true colors when the norm is broken. Someone is their truest self when put in extreme situations (more on that below). The mundane is just that; mundane, polite, civil, false.
I do, but that does not mean that the face many gamers seem to be imagining is the true face.

But it isn't fake. I can post link after link after link of it happening. How can you claim that perception is false? The norm? Disputing that I can understand, but the fact it happens at all is enough to poison the pool as they say.
No one is saying that it's fake, but it's a very small portion of the game journalists out there. For instance, those tablets at the Watch_Dogs event? Those weren't offered to every journalist there. They were only in the goodiebags meant for the journalists representing major English publications. The French got T-shirts (it's always T-shirts...). I'm going to hate myself today for using this buzzword, but you're complaining about the 1%. That lifestyle, that true face is fake for everyone else.

Now for more on the extreme situations comment above. In all these things I approach reviewers (and journalists in general) with an open distrust. I try to be civil and explain how bad it looks out here but distrust none the less. You appear to be of the mindset that people who don't agree with you are inherently wrong and/or "asshole internet commenters". I'll be the first to say there are indeed assholes on the internet, but the reviewer's current mindset of "fuck ya'all, we're doing fine" is just as bad.
Well, you are being a dick if you assume journalists owe it to you that they earn your trust, but don't give them a chance to do so. What do you want me to do? Lie and confirm that there is a grand conspiracy between all gamejournalists everywhere?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Except for a few isolated incidents (Kane and Lynch/Gamespot), we probably won't ever know how much some reviewers are being paid off, if they are. Even honest reviews are really subjective. They are (hopefully professional) opinions. If you read a review of something (and you should read more than one or two people's opinion) you have to see what there opinion is on something and if that aligned with your tasted or does not (or in between). You can also get a good idea if the the review was paid off, or the person writing didn't even touch the game for more than an hour.

I remember one review for Aliens: Colonial Marines that gushed about how awesome it was, without really explaining anything about the game in detail. Comments pointed out how bad the game was tanking with other reviews, how the game (even without counting glitches) was nothing like what he said, and how there where A:CM ads plastered on the site. Was he paid of, or did the site just have an ad contract and have someone who was an idiot/lazy review the game? Who knows. You just need to read between the lines and figure things out for yourself. (Public opinion and the spoonful of salt, required to be taken with anything from the public, helps.)

The scores are generally useless, except for at a glance aggregation. Some reviewers are strict and give good games a 7 or 8 and home run hitting games only a 9 out of 10. Then there are some (er, many) who give crap 7s, decent stuff 8, good games 9 and award anything they loved a 10, even if it had glaring, noticeable flaws. And publications change as their review writers change (not just people being swapped, but individuals' opinions shifting). Famitsu used to rarely give out 40s (their perfect score). In the past decade, they have handed out 18 of the 22 perfect 40s they've ever given out.
Roboshi said:
I think the fact that some reviewers have been "blacklisted" for giving "overly unfavourable" reviews speaks volumes. Jim Sterling famously blacklisted by konami for his reaction to the failing silent hill series.
This right here is probably a bigger problem than being paid for good reviews. A reviewer can loose credibility if they keep saying something is good that the public eventually finds to be utter crap. That at least keeps some honesty in the business. But, a reviewer who doesn't review something simply doesn't get views for it.

"If you're not willing to say something good about our products or say exactly what we want you to, we won't send you things to review." That can have a bad effect on a publication that once got things early and for free, especially for games. Someone who wants to review something, but was blacklisted and won't get a review copy early, will have to buy it out of their own pocket on release day. Not only is that eating into the budget, but it's cuts into the time the review is relevant. Critics get review copies early so they can put 7-30 hours into a game and get a feel for the who picture before putting their critique into words. At least with movies, music and many other things the copy/item/viewing doesn't cost much, and it only taking 1-2 hours to experience it (possibly twice over).

That form of censorship is what we might see growing. The threat of loosing possible income, or making it harder to secure that income (by making a professional review have to buy something and be late on their review), can be a powerful deterrent against a negative review. Blacklisting could also get even worse if publishers start sharing their lists. (It's bad enough some employers do it behind job applicants' backs.)

The good news is using Youtube's broken copyright protection to censor someone like Jim Sterling or TotalBiscuit almost always results in a delightful case of the Streisand Effect.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
NPC009 said:
There are many things to consider. Please remember that this is still a job. It's like... in retail you sometimes get horrible costumers, but you have to stay polite even though you want to punch them in the face? It's kinda like that. Many gamejourno's are freelancers, but when they're at events they're often representing the publication they got the assignment from. You don't want to cause any unneccesary waves and lose your mag/site ad money (income from ads is extremely important!) or other much needed privileges.

Of course this is far from ideal, but as a journalists you find ways to deal with it that aren't dickish towards either publishers, your publication or your readers. You politely decline, you accept it and donate it to charity... Raising a big shit is not something most can afford, and I wonder if that's really the right attitude anyway.

As for the tablet thing, we're talking Ubisoft, right? Watch_Dogs preview event? I recall journalists on twitter did go all 'Oh, Ubisoft... seriously?'. Ubisoft later apologised.
So you are confirming then that game journalists are, in fact, afraid of the publishers and take steps to keep them happy? What happened to editors standing with reviewers when ad revenue was threatened like you said before? This is actually part of what I meant when I said the relationship between the reviewers and the reviewed were too close. It's a conflict of interest to have the people whom your job is to critique paying your bills.

I would ask why is rising a shit not the right attitude to take? I see it as journalistic integrity to refuse the gifts and bring attention to how inappropriate those actions are. Do you think it would have been better if Woodward and Bernstein (Watergate) didn't risk rising shit? Or would Walter Cronkite ever had been named "most trusted man in America" if he just reported on things in a way that didn't cause unnecessary waves? Journalism today, ALL journalism today, just seems so unreliable because it appears no one has the balls to report all the facts, the truth, or even both sides of an issue. I honestly think this whole mess of things that have happened over the last year has the disconnect between journalists and the audience at their heart. It's a matter of trust, and as a whole people don't trust game journalists right now for the very reasons you listed above.

That particular instance, yes, I was talking about the Watch_Dogs event where a very small handful of journalists said IN PASSING that they got a tablet. It wasn't until after the internet pulled out their collective torches and pitch forks that journalists started making a thing of it. It was low hanging fruit but hey, it happened, it was inappropriate, and it proves my point.

But you seem to expect it nonetheless. There is no good rep I can protect other than my own and that of the places I work for.
As I said, I don't know you. You could be one of the good ones, but until I know that for sure I have to assume that you might be part of the problem. I mean, you've already tried to rationalize playing softball and/or wearing kid's gloves when dealing with publishers. That worries me.

I do, but that does not mean that the face many gamers seem to be imagining is the true face.
We've seen some gamers levy death threats, doxing, preforming ddos attacks, and being asshats in general. Those people, THOSE SPECIFIC PEOPLE, have shown us who they really are underneath their civil façade. Conversely some gamers showed themselves to be open minded, polite, and willing to try to solve issues instead of point fingers. But it's the same for journalists. Think of ALL the journalists that attacked people. "Gamer's are dead", calling entire demographics stupid, and worst of all siding themselves on a side. You people are journalists for god's sake! I don't care if one side is right or not (and I'm honestly still not sure which side was right with that whole Quinn thing, but not the time or the place) but you do not, DO NOT, actively chose a side. But how many remained neutral and actually tried to find the truth?

No one is saying that it's fake, but it's a very small portion of the game journalists out there. For instance, those tablets at the Watch_Dogs event? Those weren't offered to every journalist there. They were only in the goodiebags meant for the journalists representing major English publications. The French got T-shirts (it's always T-shirts...). I'm going to hate myself today for using this buzzword, but you're complaining about the 1%. That lifestyle, that true face is fake for everyone else.
Well, you are being a dick if you assume journalists owe it to you that they earn your trust, but don't give them a chance to do so. What do you want me to do? Lie and confirm that there is a grand conspiracy between all gamejournalists everywhere?
Journalists don't owe it to me, it's their job to tell the truth or at least informed options on both sides of an issue. If they do that they have my trust. And you're right, I am complaining about the 1%. Because look at it this way. In this instance the 1% is the most important percent. They have the most money to throw at things, the largest audience base, and are most likely the first and possibly only sources people uniformed to the current state of affairs would look at. In short, they have the most pull, the loudest voices.

To be frank, a game journalist will earn my trust through years of honest reporting. Game journalism, however, will probably never have my trust. It would take, pardon the grandiose wording, an industry wide rebellion against publishers for a start. Games journalism need to separate itself from the publisher's money or there will always be the cloud of doubt. That's the simple truth of it. I mean, look at American politics. Did Obama want net neutrality because he wanted it or because Google and the like are his biggest campaign supporters? And the same with the Republicans who are opposing it. Are they opposing it because they honestly think it's a bad idea or because Comcast/Time Warner and the like are their biggest supporters?

As I've been saying, it's all about how things appear to be.

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
It obviously does happen. There's corruption everywhere. But your definition of proof and evidence being anything that looks a bit weird to you is severely lacking! This is conspiracy theory type reasoning. It leads nowhere but back to itself.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
HankyPanky said:
Saw this on KotakuInAction. Based on the playtime and the scores given, it strongly implies some foul play:http://i.imgur.com/fZfJNpL.jpg
That's assuming that reviewer copies are the only copies playable at all pre-launch, which is a fairly big assumption. I'd be fairly surprised if that were the case.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Sarge034 said:
So you are confirming then that game journalists are, in fact, afraid of the publishers and take steps to keep them happy? What happened to editors standing with reviewers when ad revenue was threatened like you said before? This is actually part of what I meant when I said the relationship between the reviewers and the reviewed were too close. It's a conflict of interest to have the people whom your job is to critique paying your bills.
I don't think afraid is the right word. Usually there isn't much to be afraid of if you act like a decent person. There are polite ways to not accept goodies, so if it comes to that, that's what you should do.

Where I'm from it's not uncommon for writers to be very loyal to their publication, even if they're freelancers. One of the mags I wrote for organised get-togethers. Nothing special, just stuff like BBQ or a friendly game of sports on a nearby field. Came out of our own pockets. On the rare occasions you're out in public, meeting with a publisher or the PR company they hired, you behave, for the sake of your coworkers. Of course you do the right thing, but you're not going to make the waves bigger than needed. Plus, there's your own job to consider. Even if the editors are on your side, they can't keep paying you if the mag is going under.

O, and don't confuse events with whetever else we do. This is how it works: the publisher or PR company contacts our office to hand out download codes, invitations to events and so on. Sometimes they send goodies, but pretty much every publications I worked for used those for sweepstakes, only rarely giving something to the writers. The editor-in-chief looks at it, hands out the assigments and we go to work. In case of a download code (most common), we have nothing to do with the publisher at all. If it's an event (rare), we go, do our job (play a game, interview someone) and that's it. Contact with PR is mostly a politely shake of hands, confirming that yes, you you had a pleasant trip and other polite stuff. We don't see who bought ad spots until we open the mag or look at the site.

I would ask why is rising a shit not the right attitude to take? I see it as journalistic integrity to refuse the gifts and bring attention to how inappropriate those actions are.
And there are polite ways to do so. Raising a shitstorm would be entertaining for readers, sure, the few times I do meet PR people they turn out to be, well, nice. Enthousiastic. Most are young and pretty geeky themselves. So you say "No, thank you, it wouldn't be right for me to take this." If enough people do this, they'll be stuck with leftover swagbags - a sure sign that their approach isn't working.

(On a different note, a good portion of readers still wants to dream the dream of gamejournalists travel the world to play games and party. I think that's why some of us are still presenting it as something super fun, instead of something that's also stressful and probably awkward. You try sitting in a hotel room all day with a representative sitting next to you, eagerly telling you about all the awesome things available in their latest game.)

Do you think it would have been better if Woodward and Bernstein (Watergate) didn't risk rising shit? Or would Walter Cronkite ever had been named "most trusted man in America" if he just reported on things in a way that didn't cause unnecessary waves? Journalism today, ALL journalism today, just seems so unreliable because it appears no one has the balls to report all the facts, the truth, or even both sides of an issue. I honestly think this whole mess of things that have happened over the last year has the disconnect between journalists and the audience at their heart. It's a matter of trust, and as a whole people don't trust game journalists right now for the very reasons you listed above.
You're being a bit overly dramatic...

It's a sad thing the industry is so important to gamejournalism, but I think you need some perspective. What is the worst that could happen when journalism goes wrong? Consumers who eagerly pre-ordered the game, even before reviews were out, find themselves owning a piece of shit on a disc. A Colonial Marines situation. 60 bucks of hurt. That's the worst thing.

You could say it's journalists fault for hyping up the game, but the majority wants to read about things they're already familiar with. That's what sells magazines and draws people to websites. Start filling pages with reviews of niche games and you will get complaints. (Usually from two groups, the first doesn't understand why you'd write about that instead of a big new shooter, the second doesn't think you did their favourite thing ever justice by just giving it only one page.)

Now, journalists may get excited about new releases themselves. Is that bad? Is it wrong to like things? Most readers seem to appreciate honest enthusiasm, it's not only fun to read (and write!), but also a confirmation that they like the right thing. Liking the right thing is important to many readers. When it comes to previews, we rarely have much more to go by than the readers. Trailers hit the net as soon as they are presented, we stream demos when we can and so on. If a developer is lying through trailers/demos, they're lying to both journalists and readers. Should journalists be more critical than readers? Sure, but sometimes it turns out that even reasonable expectations were too much. That's an unpleasant surprise for everyone.

Anyway, I think trust is the only thing that fueled the disconnect. No, wait, it's be better to say a disconnect isn't the only thing that is going on. For some reason a group of consumers has decided their entertainment is extremely important. They expect other people, especially journalists, to feel the same. They can't write off a good or bad review as simply a good or bad review and go and find an reviewer with an opinion that suits them better, no, it's an insult to them and/or the game. There is one right opinion and whoever doesn't share it needs to be taken down. So they wage a war. It's fun, because they can all get together, discuss conspiracy theories and generally just feel like they're doing the right thing. They're heroes, fighting for something important. Gamejournalists are the enemy, because it's fun to have a common enemy and fight it together. Destruction is so much more entertaining than discussion.

The problem isn't that there is distrust. If it was just that, people would look for critics, journalists and publications they do trust. But not, warmongering is way more entertaining, and for the sake of entertainment, they decide not to trust anyone.

That particular instance, yes, I was talking about the Watch_Dogs event where a very small handful of journalists said IN PASSING that they got a tablet. It wasn't until after the internet pulled out their collective torches and pitch forks that journalists started making a thing of it. It was low hanging fruit but hey, it happened, it was inappropriate, and it proves my point.
That's not how I remember it. The first reports where from a Nintendo UK Magazine's editor-in-Chief:

"It is TRUTH. Ubisoft gave journalists a free Nexus 7 each at an exclusive Watchdogs preview event in Paris. Oh Ubisoft."

Note the 'Oh Ubisoft'.

He also didn't mention all what the press did with their tablets. Later tweets/reports had people mentioning they're putting theirs up for auction to raise money for charity (some mags/site do this with their swag, as it's a good way to give readers a chance to obtain goodies and to do something for people in need as well) or simply giving it back to PR. The general tone seemed to be: Ubisoft, do stuff like this and we won't take you seriously.

Of, course, shitstorms are more fun for readers and there are journalists who enjoy them as well, so why not give people what they're asking for, but I honestly don't know if it made much of a difference. What matters to Ubisoft is what happens behind the scenes. If enough people did take the tablet quietly, they could continue handing stuff like that out, but only to the quiet ones. No one would have to know. What journalists should do, is step up to the quiet ones and say "Dude, not cool. Don't sink to their level."

As I said, I don't know you. You could be one of the good ones, but until I know that for sure I have to assume that you might be part of the problem. I mean, you've already tried to rationalize playing softball and/or wearing kid's gloves when dealing with publishers. That worries me.
Why is it so strange to be polite to people? You do get stuff done that way.

Look, from a PR point of view, they're doing a great thing for journalists by handing out goodies and trips and what not. They think they're making out job fun. Journalists have to decide how to react to that. It's a stupid game everyone has to play, but we don't always make the same moves.

Some journalists paint a glamorous picture of it for readers, make it seem like something fun. Make believe for gamers who dream of becoming gamejournalists themselves. This approach is kinda dated. Worked much better back in the nineties when developers were mythical beings only a few could approach.

Others just do their job, just kinda tune out the PR stuff and focus on the game. Sometimes events are really fun, because you get to interview a person you admire, but you can't help but feel tired from all the traveling and the pressure of the deadlines.

A select few people refuse to go anywhere near anything PR related ever. If that's something you can afford to do is something that depends on the content you're offering. TB could do without. People don't go to him for reviews on the latest triple A titles, they like to see him play oddball games or challenge Trump to a Hearthstone match using a deck made of only legendaries. But, if your readership demands the latest and greatest (and if you don't offer it, they'll go somewhere else), you do have to consider playing the game. Good thing there's more than one way to win (as in: get your job done while keeping your dignity intact.

We've seen some gamers levy death threats, doxing, preforming ddos attacks, and being asshats in general. Those people, THOSE SPECIFIC PEOPLE, have shown us who they really are underneath their civil façade. Conversely some gamers showed themselves to be open minded, polite, and willing to try to solve issues instead of point fingers. But it's the same for journalists. Think of ALL the journalists that attacked people. "Gamer's are dead", calling entire demographics stupid, and worst of all siding themselves on a side. You people are journalists for god's sake! I don't care if one side is right or not (and I'm honestly still not sure which side was right with that whole Quinn thing, but not the time or the place) but you do not, DO NOT, actively chose a side. But how many remained neutral and actually tried to find the truth?
You seem to get some things confused. Journalists do pick sides. They do so all the time. Often picking a side starting by picking the paper you want to write for. Reality is complex and the truth is often in the eye of the beholder.

Gamejournalism is a special case, though, as most journalists are playing several roles. They are critcs, they are columnist, they investigate for a feature article. That's where things can get weird. The person normally bringing you Assassin's Creed news may publish an column about her bad experiences with some men in the industry, or something.

I'm not sure if it's a bad thing. Many gamers seem to appreciate the more personal note, because it makes the writers more than just names at the bottom of articles. Also, the people reviewing games are often the ones most knowledgable about it (atleast among the ones writing for that publication), it makes some sense to also send them out to interview the designer.

Journalists don't owe it to me, it's their job to tell the truth or at least informed options on both sides of an issue. If they do that they have my trust. And you're right, I am complaining about the 1%. Because look at it this way. In this instance the 1% is the most important percent. They have the most money to throw at things, the largest audience base, and are most likely the first and possibly only sources people uniformed to the current state of affairs would look at. In short, they have the most pull, the loudest voices.

To be frank, a game journalist will earn my trust through years of honest reporting. Game journalism, however, will probably never have my trust. It would take, pardon the grandiose wording, an industry wide rebellion against publishers for a start. Games journalism need to separate itself from the publisher's money or there will always be the cloud of doubt. That's the simple truth of it. I mean, look at American politics. Did Obama want net neutrality because he wanted it or because Google and the like are his biggest campaign supporters? And the same with the Republicans who are opposing it. Are they opposing it because they honestly think it's a bad idea or because Comcast/Time Warner and the like are their biggest supporters?

As I've been saying, it's all about how things appear to be.
It's a good thing modern consumers have a lot of power. So please, support the ones you do trust and help make them people that matter.

But, do remember you may have to give up some luxuries if you choose the people furthest away from the publisher. They won't be able to give you the latest info, you need a direct line to the publisher for that. You also won't be able to take part in sweepstakes or have the magazine you read come with a goodies. There are reasons why magazines like Famitsu are still widely read in Japan: many people there just want the latest tidbits, no hardhitting reviews.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
To people asking for proof I'm afraid until someone on the inside comes out there is no way to obtain it. However, many mainstream sites such as IGN and Gamespot have remained. untrusted by the gaming community for years for perceived biased reviews.

Grape_Bullion

Mar 8, 2012
How are people still upset by this? I'd figure by this point you'd be clever enough to use your own intuition and listen to the opinion of people you trust on the matter.

Your only arguments against this philosophy is you're too impatient and hyped for something. Or you're still (for some reason) under the impression reviewers give a shit about you. It really is okay to admit it, we've all been that guy.

Be patient. Wait for someone who shares your views on games to talk to you about it, or what they've heard. And if you can't handle that, don't be upset when your cash goes up in smoke.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I would like to think bribery doesn't take place but there are games such as Mass Effect 3 that make me question my belief.

Putting aside the endings, why did none of the reviews mention the comedy animation, eavesdropping side-quests, and ruined journal system. Things that any person playing would notice immediately but professional reviewers somehow missed.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
Gundam GP01 said:
skleege said:
now i will admit it isn't solid proof but it is proof
No it isn't. Your own own opinion about the reasons behind other people's opinions is not proof of anything.

If you want to prove that reviewers are taking money from publishers in order to get good reviews, then show us the transcript records, emails and/or contracts stating as such.
Hell, show us some reviewers with a lavish lifestyle. Show me a reviewer who's a millionaire (ironically, Angry Joe, the OPs proof of a non-bribed reviewer is probably the richest of all the reviewers)
I had to laugh when the OP used Angry Joe as an example. It's obscene how hard the guy has sold out. Went from brutal, honest, quality reviews to paid promotions out the wazoo.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I figure there would be less of this if a certain movement that we all won't mention for the sake of thread sanity actually went after bribed journalists and not lowball nobodies on the internet.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Dragonbums said:
I figure there would be less of this if a certain movement that we all won't mention for the sake of thread sanity actually went after bribed journalists and not lowball nobodies on the internet.
Yeah those tumblrinas really are bad arent they? :/

Honestly there isnt that much of "active" bribery going on anymore... publishers and gaming websites have an "understanding". One hand washes the other and all that crap.

The big scandals thought? Might be a while till someone tries to buy their review with gaming hardware again... to many of these attempts have gone public in the last couple of years.

You might call it passive corruption for a lack of better term. Its hilarious and tragic at the same time that journalists are dependend on income from the very industry they are suposed to report about... wich exists in no other industry where usually it is the reviewers who have all the power.

Think about it: Restaurant critics... music critics... movie critics... they all are not dependand on the generosity of their choosen industries... infact its the other way around.

Thought only in the games industry do the big publishers have the power to get people fired if they dont like their reviews or dictate the review scores... "or else"

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Oh, don't be ridiculous. Journalists do have some integrity and, failing that, the knowledge that if they were found taking bribes then their careers would effectively be over.

The reason for review inflation has less to do with dev pandering and more to do with the fact that people like reading sites that consistently give good reviews. The big-name game media sites, like IGN, know how to get the hype train started and they know how to milk that hype for all its worth.

This results in more people buying the game, and thus more people reading the site for news about the next installment, and that means more revenue. Then you polish it all off by giving the hyped game a high score so that you're primed to get the hype going again when the sequel is announced. This has the added effect of making the people who bought the game from the hype (which, statistically, it's become apparent that many players do) feel like they made the right decision and helps reinforce the trust in the site and its journalists, so finally that all means they're going to read even more.

It's not that the journalists are taking bribes and kickbacks from the big developers, it's that they know that this is how you get a lot of readers.

Naturally, this works best with games that have regular installments, which tends to happen in the AAA development sector of the industry.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Did you know that Insurgent only got a 32% on Rotten Tomatoes from critics, but the audience scored it at 71%! I for one, am sick of these reviewers getting paid big money by fat cat indie corporations to review indie movies higher than AAA blockbuster fare that everyone else loves!

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
While i can agree that its each reviewers opinion what they make like or not like, the reviewers bias and the company or website they are working for may have an influence since for example a website who has been running ads for an upcoming big budget AAA title cannot have its reviewer give the game a poor score. By poor i mean a score between 0-6 out of 10.At most it will be given a 7. And these days a 7 is generally considered to be a bad game even though 7/10 is supposed to mean its a good game.Barely anyone these days is utilizing a full 10 point scale which creates the illusion of every AAA game getting a good score because of the flaws in the rating system.
Also as i said before, sometimes a reviewers bias can also be a factor. Gamespot and IGN are sites where sometimes i see bafflingly high scores for how such a broken mess of a game got such a good score. Again most recent example comes to mind of AC Unity and BF4.Anyway its all just a theory until proven otherwise. I see lots of people in comments section of a game review stating its a day one buy for me when they see the Amazing score the game has been given, blindly trusting these websites and spending $60 based solely on that reviewers opinion.