Reviews From The Backroom: Dune 2000

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Reviews From The Backroom: Dune 2000

Recently, I've been going on a nostalgia rampage when it comes to ordering my games. I've decided that, not only can I enjoy my childhood by reliving it through my favorite hobby, gaming, but that I could also introduce some users of the Escapist to some long-lost gems of the past. These are reviews of games that shaped, not only my attitude of the past-time, but also the industry in one way or another (Well, sometimes). These, are reviews from the backroom.

To anybody who has taken more than a passing glance at the genre that is Real Time Strategy, the game "Dune II" is arguably one of the most (if not THE most) important games within the entire genre. While not being the first ever RTS game, it was the one that established the tried-and-true formula behind just about every big-name RTS to date. Among the many standards it established were mouse controls, resource-gathering based economy, Tech-tree's, and re-playability through differing, well balanced Factions.

[Img_Inline Width="275" Caption=It was really, really cool. In 1992. Align="left"]http://www.nokiamobiletalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/dune2_2.jpg[/Img_Inline]

In 1992, it was considered to be a very deep, complex, and beautiful game, receiving very positive reviews for it's fantastic visual style, fluid control, and fantastic fast-paced game-play.

So, in 1998, Westwood Studio's decided to do a remake of Dune 2, by adding three zero's to the end of the name, adding some Full Motion Video cut-scenes, and slapping "Command & Conquer: Red Alert" graphics into the mix.

How did it end up? Was it a good idea to do a remake?

Short answer: No. Long answer: HELL no.

Dune 2000 varied almost not-at-all from the original. The story-line, tech trees, unit-types, strategies, even the missions themselves were ripped almost squarely out of 1992 and slapped with a fresh coat of paint. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem; the game would receive a grand "Meh" from audiences and slink off into obscurity after making at least it's production costs back. But Dune 2000 was different.

The inherent problem with the remake is double-sided. One one hand, It had the stigma of "Remakes are rarely as good as the original" to contend with, and this was compounded by the fact that they were remaking a cornerstone game; the one that set the standard for many, many games to come. This, unfortunately, was not the only reason it was a failure.

When Westwood set out to remake Dune II, they went about it the wrong way in almost every category. For starters, THE GAME[footnote]Apologies. Trololo![/footnote] was copied too much in some places, too little in others. Westwood kept too much of the original game, such as cut-scenes re-done word-for-word, missions that varied little-to-no from the original, and game-play and mechanics that were so simplistic and bland that any other RTS might as well have taken it's place on that special shelf you've got.

But the biggest problem lies in, not what was shamelessly copied, but in what they tried to add in afterward.

Among the reviews that were done when this game was released, the largest complaint that was present among them was that the different factions were all very unbalanced, and it showed too much in game-play to ignore.

The faction Atreides had the lowest initial fire-power compared with enemy units, and (arguably) the most difficult mission tossed in in an early mission. In the fourth mission, you are tasked with capturing a Harkonnen Barracks in an attempt at rescuing members of the indigenous tribesmen of Dune. Normally, this would be just fine, if not for a few things. A) The tech available at this stage is laughable, B) the enemy base is FRIGGIN' HUGE, and C) you are expected to do it in what amounts to 2:30 IRL. I was NOT amused. Oh, but don't worry, in later stages, the Atreides obtain the ability to order in flying bomb-droppers called "Ornithopters" to fly over enemy bases and kill the ever-loving SHIT out of EVERYTHING. They're so overpowered, it just feels stupid.

[Img_Inline Width="275" Caption=Modern Warfare 2 had precisely the opposite issue with nukes. Align="right"]http://www.zombieware.com/pics/2009/pnwr/us_nuke.jpg[/Img_Inline]

The faction Harkonnen had what seemed to be the best with combat units, but had an economy set-up that ended up being absolute trash. As for THEIR special ability, it was to conjure up nukes. Sounds awesome, doesn't it? Well, have fun watching your base get horribly exploded while you cry, watching the timer coyly promise you a nuke in exactly TOO:LATE.

As for the third faction the Ordos, they have more than game-play issues to contend with; but the complaint that they are non-canon to the Dune universe has been around since the original, so it is entirely excusable. What is not excusable, however, is the bland and unimaginative game-play this faction has to offer. Yes, it is the easiest, but only because you are matched too closely to your enemy. Always. As for their special unit, it helps nothing at all. It is a guy, strapped with more explosives than armor, who runs at things and explodes. Yes, for all the "Super advanced technology of war" the Ordos claim to have, Jihad[footnote]Again, apologies.[/footnote] is apparently still incredible, despite it being an incredibly useless waste of 200 monies.

Now, the differences in difficulty between the factions isn't because they were all made differently. The major problem lies in how the maps were constructed. As the game progressed and new units were added, more room was added to the map to make up for the inherent problem of "Base-rushing". Unfortunately, the designers made the maps too obstructive, making them clunky, difficult to strategize upon, and more often than not, they gave too much of an advantage to the already-fortified enemy force. This was the most apparent with the third mission for the Ordos faction, where the player starts out, exposed, in the middle of a tiny map, with an enormous Harkonnen base within spitting distance.

Overall:

Dune 2 was great. It was a classic that shaped it's genre in ways that are still visible today. Dune 2000 was a bland attempt to cash in on that fact. If you want more of the Dune universe or can't get enough RTS in your life, the original is abandonware, and legally free. Save your pennies.

P.S.

If you enjoyed this review, please tell me! I'd like to do a few more in the future (and already have a few in mind).

Thanks go out to Marter, Cleril, and the Moderators for making posts and reviews that I was able to take image/video format information from.

Images used from:

www.nokiamobiletalk.com
www.wikipedia.org
www.zombieware.com

Youtube Videos from CuteFloor and smithdanger

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, your second image? That's World in Conflict, not Modern Warfare 2.

Otherwise, good review. A better game is Emperor: Battle for Dune, which actually did something new with the license.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Huh. Never played Dune 2, but I've already played this game and loved it.

Still, though I disagreed, I did enjoy the review. Succinct, but still detailed and informative.

As for their special unit, it helps nothing at all. It is a guy, strapped with more explosives than armor, who runs at things and explodes.
Saboteurs? I hate those guys...because they mess me up so freaking much. They're a one-hit KO for any building they can reach, and they have stealth. Always a bit of an annoyance when you're directing a fight somewhere and your construction options suddenly disappear, because one of those bastards snuck past the turrets and kaboomed the construction site.

Besides, they have the best voices in the game.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
omicron1 said:
Yeah, your second image? That's World in Conflict, not Modern Warfare 2.
Oh shoot. I found three sources (THREE) that told me that was MW2. Oh well.
omicron1 said:
Otherwise, good review. A better game is Emperor: Battle for Dune, which actually did something new with the license.
Well then, maybe that one IS worth a look. Thank you. :)

NeutralDrow said:
Huh. Never played Dune 2, but I've already played this game and loved it.
Don't get me wrong, I personally enjoyed it too. It's a bit more of a challenge than other games, and I like that, but it's the fact that it was "False Difficulty" that forced me to out it.

thetenet

Mar 12, 2008
Although what you say is true I still have fun memories of this game, because it was my very first pc game and its simplicity help start in the genre that I love the most. Anyway is sad that the IP is death and no more dune games will ever be made.

p.s. pointless knowledge the ordos never appear in any on the novels but they are mentioned in the Dune encyclopedia.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Hey, look, I got a mention! Awesome! Thanks Skorpyo.

OT: It was a good review, but I won't be playing this. These types of games just aren't for me. Only problem I had with the review--if you could call this a problem--was that the game's name should be italicised or bolded, something to make it stand out. :)

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Yeah, in game terms Dune 2000 was a fairly bland and unbalanced retread of what made Dune II so cool. On the other hand, it did have John Rhys-Davies in it. Emperor: Battle for Dune was pretty darn cool though, a much more adventurous and interesting take on the franchise.

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
Dune 2000 I appreciated because it added things to Dune 2 which, due to it's age, are sorely missing. Such as simple screen scrolling and selecting multiple units. They did mess up the balance though. Ornithopters can all die in a fucking fire.

Really recommend you check out Emperor: Battle For Dune. Always thought it was an excellent RTS with a lot of value - 3 diverse sides + 7 sub-houses (of which you can ally with 2 at a time, if they lie you, opening up extra tech) + massive planet map to conquer along with extra fights on enemies home-planets. The last mission is an absolute ***** though. Hardest RTS mission I've ever played. Never could beat it.