Reviews: Rapid Fire Reviews - Outlast, Kirby and Child of Light

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Rapid Fire Reviews - Outlast, Kirby and Child of Light

Rapid Fire Reviews gives you bite size versions of video games reviews and this week we are featuring Child of Light [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/11411-Outlast-Whistleblower-Review-A-Crazy-Little-Thing].

Watch Video

nayrbarr

Aug 11, 2010
First and foremost, if there's one thing I would never call Jim Sterling it's cold. He's quite the opposite in fact. Second and perhaps almost as important, the idea of this show feels redundant and rather patronising to me. Do we really need someone to interpret a review for us? I know that if I care enough about a game to think about buying it I can at least be bothered to find a review myself rather than have someone who hasn't played it tell me about what yet another person has said about it.

Monoclebear

Robot enthusiast
Sep 29, 2010
nayrbarr said:
Agreeing with you there. While the show itself is good enough and I don't have anything against the guy doing the narration, it does feel kinda weird having a dude talk about what another dude thought about the game.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
nayrbarr said:
First and foremost, if there's one thing I would never call Jim Sterling it's cold. He's quite the opposite in fact. Second and perhaps almost as important, the idea of this show feels redundant and rather patronising to me. Do we really need someone to interpret a review for us? I know that if I care enough about a game to think about buying it I can at least be bothered to find a review myself rather than have someone who hasn't played it tell me about what yet another person has said about it.
Thanks for the feedback!

I get where you're coming from, but the idea wasn't so much to interpret the review as it was to offer a condensed, accessible video version for people who might be interested, but not so interested as to dig up and read through a 1,200 word text review. It's four reviews crammed into a 3-minute video. That's efficiency!

That said, if you're already reading our written reviews, you're probably not going to get much out of Rapid Fire Reviews. Think of it more as us trying to expose users that favor videos to Jim's excellent written review work.

Sincerely, though, thank you for taking the time to offer up your opinion. It's always nice to hear from folks on what works - and what doesn't work - for them.

Monoclebear

Robot enthusiast
Sep 29, 2010
Encaen said:
Oh now I get it. I somehow got the expression that this show would air instead of the longer reviews rather then both coming out. Well in that case, I have to say that this works pretty good as a summary. One idea, maybe you could put links to the longer reviews in description for these.
Other then that, good job.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Monoclebear said:
Encaen said:
Oh now I get it. I somehow got the expression that this show would air instead of the longer reviews rather then both coming out. Well in that case, I have to say that this works pretty good as a summary. One idea, maybe you could put links to the longer reviews in description for these.
Other then that, good job.
Consider that done!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Child of Light really is a gem to me.

I was amazed that, beyond looking AMAZING, it's actually FUN.

I just wish the OST was a little better.
It's not bad, but it's just...so...average.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Anyone know which platform Child of Light is on? I was curious about this game, and now that I see it got a good review I may pick it up.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
GamemasterAnthony said:
Anyone know which platform Child of Light is on? I was curious about this game, and now that I see it got a good review I may pick it up.
You probably already found this out but Child of Light is for the PC, Wii U, Xbox 360 (and One) Arcade, and the PlayStation 3 (and 4) Play-store. It's basically for everything, except MAC and IOS.

I really, really loved Child of Light. Then again, I like these types of games anyway; like Puppeteer, Journey, Dust: An Elysian Tale, ICO, ect. So this was right up my ally.

I really enjoy these quick review videos too, look forward to watching more!