Revisit 2004 with Killzone on PSN

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Revisit 2004 with Killzone on PSN

Guerilla Games' PS2 "Halo-killer" Killzone joins the PS2 classics lineup on January 24th.

The PSN release is a direct port of the original game, so no HD, trophies or any other modern doodads, just shooting, space-nazis and as much gray as your eyes can handle. It's being published as part of Sony's "Only on PSN" program, and will cost you $10.

Compared to its successful sequels the original Killzone is a mixed bag. It was subject to a ridiculous amount of hype, with many publications touting it as a "Halo Killer," and, as you'd expect, the game had a great deal of trouble living up to expectations. The game's design, which bore more than a passing resemblance to Mamoru Oshii's work in theKerberos Saga [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerberos_saga], was great, but the game's performance issues and very limited colour palette didn't impress reviewers at the time.

That being said, the underlying shooting mechanics are solid, the back-and-forth banter between the characters was occasionally funny, and if you're interested in the Killzone universe, then this is a no-brainer. Providing this port does away with the original's frame-rate issues then it's certainly worth your ten bucks.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
I loved the splitcreen multiplayer on the first killzone game, so it will be great to play this again. Also, the weapons in that game are great. Can't believe they got rid of the alternate fire modes for all of the guns in Killzone 2 though.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Woohoo! Finally I can replace my scratched disk of the original. I wouldn't mind an HD remake, but hey, ten bucks. I'm not complaining.

If the framerate and slightly floaty controls are tightened up, it's a definite buy for me.

Funkysandwich said:
I loved the splitcreen multiplayer on the first killzone game, so it will be great to play this again. Also, the weapons in that game are great. Can't believe they got rid of the alternate fire modes for all of the guns in Killzone 2 though.
Agreed, the Splitscreen was great fun. And the underbarrel shotgun attachment for the Hig Assault Rifle was vital for taking on those damn elites.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Killzone was a pretty excellent shooter for a console for the time. Though it tended to be buggy as hell, still sits as one of the best console shooters I've ever played. I might just get this on the PSN, since I can't get it to run properly on my PS2 emulator.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
And this is a news story how? Halo CE (not the anniversary edition, the original one) has been on the Xbox marketplace forever and so have many other original Xbox games, but no one cares because well it doesn't really matter. Is this week so slow that you're forced to report this?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Warforger said:
And this is a news story how? Halo CE (not the anniversary edition, the original one) has been on the Xbox marketplace forever and so have many other original Xbox games, but no one cares because well it doesn't really matter. Is this week so slow that you're forced to report this?
It's a gaming website. Killzone is a game. It was announced that it was coming to PSN. This is news to me, hence why it is considered news.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Grey Carter said:
It's being published as part of Sony's "Only on PSN" program, and will cost you $10.
I love that. They took away backwards compatibility and then say its available only on PSN. It isn't. I have one on disc. Stupid Sony.

The framerate issues should be done away with as they were a result of the game being too taxing on the hardware. I somehow think that the PS3 can handle it.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Warforger said:
It's a gaming website. Killzone is a game. It was announced that it was coming to PSN. This is news to me, hence why it is considered news.
Yes, but it's not headline making news, it's like saying "More savings available at the Toyota Dealer" as a news story

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Warforger said:
I think you'll find the additions to the classic Xbox lineups were well reported, particularly when Psychonauts was named as one of the games.

As a personal rule, I only report on reissues when the game in question is particularly relevant. Killzone spawned one of the most promoted series on the PS3, yet it's game few of the series' fans have actually played. I'd argue that's relevant.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I liked the game when I played it at my cousin's PS2, it had lots of interesting ideas for the time and the action was actually pretty good, but the frame rate issues ruined the game for me. I didn't care about the 10 or so shades of gray the game had, I just wanted to play the thing. I hope those frame rate issues were resolved in this port.

Also, interestingly enough, the local multiplayer with bots was pretty fun too.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
"Only on PSN" program"? I dont like the sound of that...at all

anyway since I hear the Killzone franchise went the way of the "5 hour campagn" I dont feel any need to go get it

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Vault101 said:

anyway since I hear the Killzone franchise went the way of the "5 hour campagn" I dont feel any need to go get it
Don't sell yourself short. This game's campaign is fairly long by today's standards. I remember it taking me around ten hours to beat. That's a very respectable time for an FPS.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Vault101 said:

Don't sell yourself short. This game's campaign is fairly long by today's standards. I remember it taking me around ten hours to beat. That's a very respectable time for an FPS.
just out of interest which killzone game are we talking about?

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
oh god my roommate is gonna rage
me, i never had a PS2 and played the other killzones(even the one on the psp) and rather liked them so i may be getting this

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Nice! Always been a KZ fan, in fact I just got Liberation on my bnd new PSP today so this will be a welcome addition (also it beat Halo in my opinion by having British Space Nazis).

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Odd, I always found the frame rate to be pretty consistent (if locked at a solid 30fps ALL THE TIME).

Anyone buying this game, the grenade pistol is the most satisfying weapon in the whole game, use it at every opportunity.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Vault101 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Vault101 said:

just out of interest which killzone game are we talking about?
The first one. The second one clocks in at around 8 hours, and I haven't finished the third yet.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
hope they fix the controls, because it sure handled like ass

also, worst sniper scope aiming I've seen ever