Revisiting Our Demon Soul

persianhero

Nov 15, 2009
very nice article, i have been itching to buy this game for so long but im waiting for the price to come down

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
I really really love this game, I have beaten it twice and going for my third walktrough with the same character.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
reg42 said:
Zahri said:
reg42 said:
I really want to try this game, but no place near me rents out PS3 games, and I'm not spending R600 on a game that I might not even be able to beat
Don't be afraid of the game, it's a lot easier than people make it out to be ;D

For some reason though, i can't seem to beat the dragon god >.> I get to the final piece of rubble before the second harpoon cannon and get pwned by fire breath. (This is my 1st character here)
Hmm... I'll probably wait until it goes Platinum (Because, let's face it, it will). At least then if I can't beat it it'll only be half the loss.
It probably won't. Like most Atlus games, they're limited print. For the holiday season Atlus actually had to print MORE due to the demand, they don't usually do this.

Amazing game anyhow, and it's not THAT hard. Once you settle into it's rules everything falls into place nicely.

Advice to all those playing for the first tmie or going to play the game, KILL YURT. DO NOT LET HIM GO BACK TO THE NEXUS!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Eliam_Dar said:
I really really love this game, I have beaten it twice and going for my third walktrough with the same character.
You must've been eating rusty nails for breakfast.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
AC10 said:
Advice to all those playing for the first tmie or going to play the game, KILL YURT. DO NOT LET HIM GO BACK TO THE NEXUS!
What happens if you don't?

Because I released the guy and I didn't see him for the remainder of the game.

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
Jaredin said:
splatterguy734 said:
This game sounds awesome its just too bad theres NO FUCKING EUROPEAN RELEASE DATE!
Same...I want to play it so bad. Just to see how hard it actually is.
It isn't really a hard game, as much as it is a test of patience and ability to learn. Taking your time and learning how to take different enemies on so you take as little damage as possible is an amazing experience, and if you die and lose everything you have worked for you generally feel like it is your fault. The relatively high number of deaths don't feel like punishment as much as a learning experience. After loosing a high number of souls I don't feel rage towards the game like I do with other titles, as much as I feel upset that I messed up something.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
AC10 said:

He should kill every NPC in the nexus except the black maiden. This takes time though:

http://www.giantbomb.com/yurt-the-silent-chief/94-11194/

Remember, once an NPC is dead they're gone for that play-through.

Warrior Irme said:
Jaredin said:
splatterguy734 said:
This game sounds awesome its just too bad theres NO FUCKING EUROPEAN RELEASE DATE!
It isn't really a hard game, as much as it is a test of patience and ability to learn. Taking your time and learning how to take different enemies on so you take as little damage as possible is an amazing experience, and if you die and lose everything you have worked for you generally feel like it is your fault. The relatively high number of deaths don't feel like punishment as much as a learning experience. After loosing a high number of souls I don't feel rage towards the game like I do with other titles, as much as I feel upset that I messed up something.
I generally agree with this. There were a few times I let frustration get the better of me, mainly during boss fights. It seems as if From Software was REALLY punishing to melee characters. Taking things out from range makes most boss fights like 5 times simpler. I maintain that flamelurker is more or less impossible to engage in close quarters combat unless you FAR out level him.

I say this because when he's below 30% health he enters a constant attack stage, which will drain your stamina very quickly. I had a flame shield and took 5 blows from him with very little damage, but could not take anymore due to the stamina drain, then his 6th blow knocked me over and his 7th, 8th then finally 9th killed me. There was no "break" in these attacks so you couldn't run away, it's basically a death sentence if you let him hit you in "berserk" mode, which I find unfair. To beat him I just got him stuck on geometry, wore a theifs ring and sniped him with a bow. It was stupid easy comparatively.

Zahri

Dec 15, 2008
AC10 said:
Casual Shinji said:
AC10 said:

He should kill every NPC in the nexus except the black maiden. This takes time though:

http://www.giantbomb.com/yurt-the-silent-chief/94-11194/

Remember, once an NPC is dead they're gone for that play-through.

Warrior Irme said:
Jaredin said:
splatterguy734 said:
I generally agree with this. There were a few times I let frustration get the better of me, mainly during boss fights. It seems as if From Software was REALLY punishing to melee characters. Taking things out from range makes most boss fights like 5 times simpler. I maintain that flamelurker is more or less impossible to engage in close quarters combat unless you FAR out level him.

I say this because when he's below 30% health he enters a constant attack stage, which will drain your stamina very quickly. I had a flame shield and took 5 blows from him with very little damage, but could not take anymore due to the stamina drain, then his 6th blow knocked me over and his 7th, 8th then finally 9th killed me. There was no "break" in these attacks so you couldn't run away, it's basically a death sentence if you let him hit you in "berserk" mode, which I find unfair. To beat him I just got him stuck on geometry, wore a theifs ring and sniped him with a bow. It was stupid easy comparatively.
I did bout the same, using a royal class and not once raising vitality. Needless to say, he could deck me in 1 hit if i didn't block. I did find out thought that into the arena, towards the left, there's a pillar as well as a ribcage that you can circle entirely and maybe get him stuck in his "running with intent of beating the S*$& out of you mode". In which case, arrows are your friend. ^^

NamesAreHardToPick

Jan 7, 2010
AC10 said:
Casual Shinji said:
It isn't really a hard game, as much as it is a test of patience and ability to learn. Taking your time and learning how to take different enemies on so you take as little damage as possible is an amazing experience, and if you die and lose everything you have worked for you generally feel like it is your fault.
For starters, NEVER wander around with a large number of souls. Early on, whenever you've got enough to make a purchase (forging, equipment, spells, repairs, leveling) go back and do it. That will minimize your losses. If you really need souls, stay as a ghost and help other players out as a Phantom. You can get lots of experience by repeatedly helping with rewarding levels or bosses, and keep all your souls on-hand when you die unless it's to an invader.

A lot of the "use spells/bow" bosses like Armor Spider, Flamelurker, and Maneater are entirely beatable in melee with the right strategy. Unlike fighting normal enemies it pays to ditch the shield and go on the offensive with a large sword or axe and your best enchant spell. Doing enough damage will stagger Flamelurker for a moment... it's safer all in all to dodge around looking for a safe opportunity to attack and then landing a few huge hits to knock a big chunk off of his health bar instead of "playing it safe" with nickle-and-dime damage from behind a fire-resistant shield.

Zahri

Dec 15, 2008
s69-5 said:
Zahri said:
reg42 said:
I really want to try this game, but no place near me rents out PS3 games, and I'm not spending R600 on a game that I might not even be able to beat
Don't be afraid of the game, it's a lot easier than people make it out to be ;D

For some reason though, i can't seem to beat the dragon god >.> I get to the final piece of rubble before the second harpoon cannon and get pwned by fire breath. (This is my 1st character here)
If you haven't beaten him yet, on the rubble the best is the Dragon Bone Sword (of course, used that on my second playthrough). Barring that, Fragrance Ring (to regen MP, as it will take quite a few spells) with Soul arrow spell from behind pillars worked well for me on my first go.

Dragon God was the first Arch Demon I ever beat. Seriously though, Flamelurker is WAY worse. There's a trick to Man-Eater (and I'm thankful for it as it might have been the hardest boss).
Also, old King Allant, see Man Eater.
Dum worry, i beat him. I performed accupuncture on his shoulders and shot tiny little needles into his soul patch ^^

(harpooned the ***** and maimed his horn with arrows)

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
If you guys really want to chat about DS, there's an awesome and helpful community at atlus.com/forum

Back on topic, this game is so damn awesome and I know it's doing well, not to mention it got a ton of face time for a game that wasn't even promoted. I really hope this catches on... yes, sure, there's a lot of casuals out there that want something simple like God of War or Darksider's or whatever it may be (I like those games, btw), but there's a TON of hardcore gamers looking for a real challenge. When I read about how hard this game is - and that it's not unfair - I could not wait to give it a go. It wasn't even a question; here's a challenge, and I was up for it.

The multiplayer co-op is fun, yes it makes bosses fairly easy but I didn't find the bosses the hardest part of the game anyway. And the pvp - when you get invaded - is not rock-paper-scissors... it's not random luck. It's bad luck to have lag issues, but if all's fair then skill beats gear. Plus, as an invader you get penalized, as a defender you can summon up to 2 helpers. IMO the system is great, this game is great.

As to this: "If you haven't beaten him yet, on the rubble the best is the Dragon Bone Sword (of course, used that on my second playthrough). Barring that, Fragrance Ring (to regen MP, as it will take quite a few spells) with Soul arrow spell from behind pillars worked well for me on my first go.

Dragon God was the first Arch Demon I ever beat. Seriously though, Flamelurker is WAY worse. There's a trick to Man-Eater (and I'm thankful for it as it might have been the hardest boss)."

Just have to say... the DBS is only available if you have pure white world tendancy, and wtf are you talking about with using Soul arrows?? The Dragon God is the only scripted encounter - you run to the first harpoon dodging his punches, you run to the 2nd dodging his fire (you can hide from it LoS behind pillars)... then you just go smash his face. It's not easy, per se, but it's not hard... solo vs Flamelurker, Old King Doran, and False King Allant are HARD... especially on NG+.

MrLumber

Jan 13, 2009
First off I want to say that in my opinion this is the best game of the current generation, and anyone considering buying it should.

Second I want to say that I soloed the game (first runthrough) with a melee faith based build, I used faith modified weapons while having low int, and although several of the bosses are fairly hard like this (Flamelurker, Old King Allant, Penetrator, etc.), the game was never unfair or too difficult. I found that the common misconception is that your damage stat and vitality are your main pours for stats, while I put a good deal of my stats in endurance giving me the ability to block and roll out of the way even while wearing heavy armor. For example while going melee against the Flamelurker when he is berserk all you need to do is block his initial strike then immediately roll past his left (if I remember right) hip and then just smack his ass until he turns around. Also Armor Spider is cake, just hide in the corners and heal/block through the mega flame.

NamesAreHardToPick

Jan 7, 2010
Atlus is doing a World Tendency event for Valentine's day. There's a poll somewhere to determine if it's going to be white or black (PLZ BLACK PLZ), nice to see they're still doing that sort of thing.