Revisiting Our Demon Soul

Game People

Jan 5, 2010
Revisiting Our Demon Soul

Adam Standing revisits the deadly world of Demon's Souls and pronounces it livelier than ever.

Read Full Article

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
splatterguy734 said:
This game sounds awesome its just too bad theres NO FUCKING EUROPEAN RELEASE DATE!
Though I'm making it sound easier than it is, just import it. I'd advise getting (importing) the version they released in the U.S., just because of the minor corrections they made to the menu's and such (and the already pre-installed patches, which you want).

If you can't, the Asian version has an English option (which Asian version (there are 3), I am unsure. You can check online). Trust me, it will be worth the extra money for the import.

oranger

May 27, 2008
there's a difference between what games were, IE the old formula, and what games could be, IE demons souls. There's room for both, but in the end, Demons souls will never be traded from MY collection, whereas stuff like MW2 are gone a few days after I've purchased it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
splatterguy734 said:
This game sounds awesome its just too bad theres NO FUCKING EUROPEAN RELEASE DATE!
Same...I want to play it so bad. Just to see how hard it actually is.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Reading this made me really antsy to replay it.

So I think I will...............right now.

splatterguy734

Nov 27, 2009
Mstrswrd said:
splatterguy734 said:
Though I'm making it sound easier than it is, just import it. I'd advise getting (importing) the version they released in the U.S., just because of the minor corrections they made to the menu's and such (and the already pre-installed patches, which you want).

If you can't, the Asian version has an English option (which Asian version (there are 3), I am unsure. You can check online). Trust me, it will be worth the extra money for the import.
Thanks for the info I was going to ask my friend if he could bring me back a copy from japan then I started worrying about region compatibility and decided not to.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Reading this made me really antsy to replay it.

So I think I will...............right now.
same. :) I did start playing it again last night and I felt sad that I forgot how much fun it is.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
I really want to try this game, but no place near me rents out PS3 games, and I'm not spending R600 on a game that I might not even be able to beat

Zahri

Dec 15, 2008
reg42 said:
I really want to try this game, but no place near me rents out PS3 games, and I'm not spending R600 on a game that I might not even be able to beat
Don't be afraid of the game, it's a lot easier than people make it out to be ;D

For some reason though, i can't seem to beat the dragon god >.> I get to the final piece of rubble before the second harpoon cannon and get pwned by fire breath. (This is my 1st character here)

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Zahri said:
reg42 said:

For some reason though, i can't seem to beat the dragon god >.> I get to the final piece of rubble before the second harpoon cannon and get pwned by fire breath. (This is my 1st character here)
Hmm... I'll probably wait until it goes Platinum (Because, let's face it, it will). At least then if I can't beat it it'll only be half the loss.

Zahri

Dec 15, 2008
reg42 said:
Zahri said:
reg42 said:

Hmm... I'll probably wait until it goes Platinum (Because, let's face it, it will). At least then if I can't beat it it'll only be half the loss.
Maybe try for a used copy?

It is indeed challenging, but people and videos make it seem like it's impossible to even pass the first boss.

Trust me, i just bought it recently and it's most certainly worth the money, despite difficulty

Sep 14, 2009
reg42 said:
Zahri said:
reg42 said:

it is def. worth the money, i just this past week scowered my city to find a copy, and after 8 stores i finally did find the last copy hidden in a corner of a gamestop, and it is def. worth it, this game defines the "average hard" in which you can't really lolligag around, but its not impossible either, its def. a fun game that i would recommend getting for a keeper

Omni-Bot

Jul 5, 2009
There are checkpoints. You can open shortcuts throughout the stages and you'll unlock a new spawn point with each defeated boss. Not to mention that you can pretty much blaze through most areas in 15 minutes once you know them.

And co-op is by no means necessary for completion. So long as you have developed a solid play-style and are decently equipped, you can solo it easily.

Kstreitenfeld

Mar 27, 2009
Omni-Bot said:
There are checkpoints. You can open shortcuts throughout the stages and you'll unlock a new spawn point with each defeated boss. Not to mention that you can pretty much blaze through most areas in 15 minutes once you know them.

And co-op is by no means necessary for completion. So long as you have developed a solid play-style and are decently equipped, you can solo it easily.
Well for certain builds (mostly pure melee builds) a few bosses can pose a problem (doable but really tough) so an extra body to distract the boss can really help.

Sir Moops

Apr 21, 2009
playing this game is only slightly harder than trying to play jak 2. So many fond memories of ripping out my hair as I had to replay the level again.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ezio_fangirl said:
I wanted to play it...until i found out about the no check point thing.
You have to make your own checkpoints in this game.

When you die you loose your souls, you restart at the beginning and the enemies respawn, but the environment and the loot you've gatherd remains intact. So if you've opend a gate on your first run, you can use it as a shortcut the next time you die (wich ofcourse you will).

You shouldn't let the checkpoint thing stop you from playing this game.

Zahri

Dec 15, 2008
The only thing this game is missing is a box of adorable kittens.

That being said, i still give it a 10 ^^

Closet Superhero

May 24, 2009
Finished this game a couple weeks ago. Contrary to what most reviewers have said about the online component of the game (usually: 'It's so innovative!'), I found it deeply flawed.

Co-oping (blue phantoms) makes the bosses TOO easy. The AI just doesn't know how to handle multiple opponents in a smart way and will just keep turning towards whoever hit it last. It wasn't really satisfying to beat them that way, it just felt cheap.

PvP battles (black phantom invasions) are unbalanced rock-paper-scissor affairs. If someone is a magic character with the homing missile spell, they're gonna kill you easily if you don't have an anti-magic spell or particular shield, and if you do, then you're gonna kill them easily.

In the end you just need too many things to go right to find a decent PvP fight. Expect 1 out of 15 black phantom experiences to be worthwhile.