Reviving Ugin - Rebirth of the Spirit Dragon

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Reviving Ugin - Rebirth of the Spirit Dragon

With Fate Reforged just around the corner, it?s time to talk about the other Dragon Planeswalker.

Read Full Article

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
[mtg_card=Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker] is still top dog, with his "+3: Kill Ugin" ability, but Ugin has that lovely "-10: Eff Bolas and his [mtg_card=Cruel Ultimatum]". On the other hand, [mtg_card=Garruk, Apex Predator] is getting pretty beefy himself, costing 1 mana less than both and having that "+1: Kill these nerds". If he hadn't already been printed in M15, I'd expect to see Garruk showing up to hunt them.

By the way... Ajani messes with Nicol Bolas. What? *drops mic*

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Chris Ingersoll said:
His +2 ability is Ghostfire. No need to drag Volcanic Hammer into this.
The [mtg_card=Volcanic Hammer] comparison is reference to the fact that Hammer is a Sorcery, whereas [mtg_card=Ghostfire] and [mtg_card=Lightning Bolt] are instants. Also, because it's fun to tease wannabe Bolts.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
His +2 is [mtg_card=Ghostfire], his -X is a racist [mtg_card=Pernicious Deed], and his ulti is a reverse [mtg_card=Cruel Ultimatum]. Ugin is ridiculous. I have a friend who already printed out proxies of Ugin so he can make a [mtg_card=Prototype Portal] deck with [mtg_card=Baleful Strix], [mtg_card=Rings of Brighthearth], Ugin, Moxes, and Urza-tron.

Dragonheart57

Jun 13, 2011
I was hoping Ugin would be a badass to rival Bolas, and I was not disappointed. He also looks a lot like Bolas. Maybe another Elder Dragon?

Chris Ingersoll

Jun 21, 2013
Encaen said:
Chris Ingersoll said:
His +2 ability is Ghostfire. No need to drag Volcanic Hammer into this.
The [mtg_card=Volcanic Hammer] comparison is reference to the fact that Hammer is a Sorcery, whereas [mtg_card=Ghostfire] and [mtg_card=Lightning Bolt] are instants. Also, because it's fun to tease wannabe Bolts.
By that logic JTMS's +0 ability is closer to Dream Cache than it is Brainstorm, and nobody actually thinks that.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Chris Ingersoll said:
By that logic JTMS's +0 ability is closer to Dream Cache than it is Brainstorm, and nobody actually thinks that.
[mtg_card=Dream Cache] allows you to put cards on the bottom of your library, which JTMS doesn't allow. If it bothers you, though, feel free to substitute [mtg_card=Ghostfire] in for [mtg_card=Volcanic Hammer] on your next read-through! I promise I won't be offended.

Also, I still like making fun of bad [mtg_card=Lightning Bolt] impressions.

Dragonheart57 said:
I was hoping Ugin would be a badass to rival Bolas, and I was not disappointed. He also looks a lot like Bolas. Maybe another Elder Dragon?
He's not from the original list of Elder Dragons [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&subtype=+[elder]+[dragon]], but I'm looking forward to learning more about him all the same!

Joseph Hutzulak

May 15, 2014
For constructed I could see him as a 1 of +1 sideboard UX control decks since the format is become so midrange dominate, he - ability hits whip of erebos and exiles stopping soul of innistrad and further whips, however 8 mana is still 8 mana so Im not sold on it.

Outside of standard, the Karn Father still seems better to me since he can be tronned out, and the - doesnt really do anything to affinity. Nevermind that Tron has fallen out of favor because the format is too fast.

Honestly I think he needs to cost 7 to be a major player.

Chris Ingersoll

Jun 21, 2013
Encaen said:
Chris Ingersoll said:
[mtg_card=Dream Cache] allows you to put cards on the bottom of your library, which JTMS doesn't allow.
Neither Volcanic Hammer nor Lightning Bolt (nor any of over a dozen similar spells) can kill Master of Waves/Silver Knight/Kor Firewalker/et al; Ghostfire ? and thus Ugin ? can. The color (or lack thereof) of the effect is much more important here than the relative speed of casting it.

It doesn't "bother" me, but you already went out of your way to mention Ghostfire in the article so shifting away from that was wholly unnecessary, even given the value of cheap-shotting non-Bolt spells.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
Joseph Hutzulak said:
I'm quite happy to try and run him in a chief engineer powered artifact deck in Standard. Especially if I can get enough Grand Mentors to hopefully get me some tokens to convoke it in :D

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
pigeon_of_doom said:
Joseph Hutzulak said:
I'm quite happy to try and run him in a chief engineer powered artifact deck in Standard. Especially if I can get enough Grand Mentors to hopefully get me some tokens to convoke it in :D
He's not an artifact. No convoking for him.

Frankly I don't really see him having a place in standard. He's too slow for most decks at 8 mana. His +2 is nice, but when he comes out, the major threats are outside the range of 3 damage. His -X fucks you up as well as your opponent as it will invariably shit on your lands and creatures. His ult is pretty much a pussified version of Bolas' with less utility. It means he's pretty much wasted in any deck that isn't mostly permanents, although drawing 7 cards and gaining 7 life is pretty nice. The archetype I most likely see him in is Green Devotion since that runs mostly creatures and has the ramp engine to get him out quickly, but it's seeing less and less play as the current meta chugs along. I don't really think he's that good if I'm honest and I don't see him being played in any archetype in standard. I've been wrong before though.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
FriesWithThat said:
pigeon_of_doom said:
Joseph Hutzulak said:

Frankly I don't really see him having a place in standard. He's too slow for most decks at 8 mana. His +2 is nice, but when he comes out, the major threats are outside the range of 3 damage. His -X fucks you up as well as your opponent as it will invariably shit on your lands and creatures. His ult is pretty much a pussified version of Bolas' with less utility. It means he's pretty much wasted in any deck that isn't mostly permanents, although drawing 7 cards and gaining 7 life is pretty nice. The archetype I most likely see him in is Green Devotion since that runs mostly creatures and has the ramp engine to get him out quickly, but it's seeing less and less play as the current meta chugs along. I don't really think he's that good if I'm honest and I don't see him being played in any archetype in standard. I've been wrong before though.
Oh god, I'm too used to colourless mana cards being artifacts.

I've not seen Garruk get much play, so a walker that costs one more than him is unlikely to either. And yeah, not seen many mono-decks around.

Drops a Sweet Katana

May 27, 2009
pigeon_of_doom said:
FriesWithThat said:
pigeon_of_doom said:
Joseph Hutzulak said:

Oh god, I'm too used to colourless mana cards being artifacts.

I've not seen Garruk get much play, so a walker that costs one more than him is unlikely to either. And yeah, not seen many mono-decks around.
Yeah Garruk doesn't see much play and he's actually more relevant in the standard meta than Ugin would be, from the looks of things. Mono decks do see some play, but it's pretty much only Mono-green devotion and the ever-present red-deck-wins that crops up in almost every standard. FRF actually has some really nice cards for RDW. Collateral Damage is just a lightning bolt with a sac cost, Wild Slash is a shock with a ferocious trigger that turns it into a mini skullcrack, and Mardu Scout will likely work wonders in decks running Purphoros with its RR casting cost that can trigger Purphoros' devotion and its 1R Dash that turns it into a reusable lightning bolt when the opponent's board presence is low and it allows Purphoros' EtB ability to trigger reliably turn after turn.

Chris Ingersoll

Jun 21, 2013
FriesWithThat said:
His -X fucks you up as well as your opponent as it will invariably shit on your lands and creatures.
How exactly do you think that effect will wreck your lands? Other than Dryad Arbor and animated man-lands, lands are inherently colorless. Nykthos decks might not be fond of him, but other than that your non-Elf/Bird/Caryatid/etc manabase should be fine.

Drops a Sweet Katana

May 27, 2009
Chris Ingersoll said:
FriesWithThat said:
His -X fucks you up as well as your opponent as it will invariably shit on your lands and creatures.
How exactly do you think that effect will wreck your lands? Other than Dryad Arbor and animated man-lands, lands are inherently colorless. Nykthos decks might not be fond of him, but other than that your non-Elf/Bird/Caryatid/etc manabase should be fine.
By me not know that lands are inherently colourless. Ignore what I said, I was confused. I thought lands were the colours of the mana they produced. I feel less bad about his -X now