Rewards of Being a Gamer

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Phyroxis said:
Radelaide said:
Phyroxis said:
The cake is a lie ;)
*sings Still Alive*

That song makes me happy. Is that a reward?
I'd say so.. Its like an inside joke that ALL (and only) gamers seem to get.
'sif. I saw a chick with a "The Cake Is A Lie" shirt on, and I started talking to her about Portal and she looked back at me as if I'd asked her what the square root of 8 billion was! Is it bad I nearly choked her?

KaZZaP

Aug 7, 2008
I was on a sponsored paintball team and I credit all my skills to Rainbow Six.

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
Radelaide said:
Phyroxis said:
Radelaide said:
Phyroxis said:
The cake is a lie ;)
*sings Still Alive*

'sif. I saw a chick with a "The Cake Is A Lie" shirt on, and I started talking to her about Portal and she looked back at me as if I'd asked her what the square root of 8 billion was! Is it bad I nearly choked her?
Terrible. Do you know where she got it from? And do you know what her IQ was? (before you killed her)

darthsmily

Feb 21, 2008
Being held up as one of society's most revered.

No but my hand eye coordination has increased and the discovery of this forum.
Let us all bask in the warm glow of The Escapist!

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Phyroxis said:
Radelaide said:
Phyroxis said:
Radelaide said:
Phyroxis said:
The cake is a lie ;)
*sings Still Alive*

Terrible. Do you know where she got it from? And do you know what her IQ was? (before you killed her)
Apparently her boyfriend bought it for her. And she was blonde... Like, peroxide blonde... Does that explain it?

Shellsh0cker

Defender of the English Language
Oct 22, 2008
Radelaide said:
Phyroxis said:
Radelaide said:
Phyroxis said:
Radelaide said:
Phyroxis said:
The cake is a lie ;)
*sings Still Alive*

Apparently her boyfriend bought it for her. And she was blonde... Like, peroxide blonde... Does that explain it?
Let this be a lesson: never wear a shirt if you don't get the joke.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
What did people used to blame stuff on before video games became such a prevalent part of our culture?

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Stammer said:
What did people used to blame stuff on before video games became such a prevalent part of our culture?
In the UK we blamed everything on Evil Dead. Seriously.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Good morning blues said:
I'm sorry, what the OP says to me is "I am psychologically affected by video games but ONLY IN GOOD WAYS," which is ridiculous. Sure, video games might give you slightly better hand-eye co-ordination, but you can't claim that they make you take time to investigate your surroundings but that they don't, say, normalize aggressive military action.
Well, after I became a beta tester I started to look at the world like a beta video game. Of course God has yet to divide by zero.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Gaming forums, on the other hand, have made many of us cynical bastards. Or maybe it was the procession of clones on the market.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
After playing Dynasty Warriors, I want to learn more about the period in which it was set.

Does that count?

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
If I come upon a young child who has a good understanding of written English, I'm going to assume he is a gamer. So many people in my country learn to understand English by playing games.

Statistically, people who game consume less passive entertainment, such as watching TV. The result is that they are more intellectually stimulated and active. There's no question that facing a variety of challenges improves your logic and problem-solving ability.

I also see competetive gaming, taken to a high enough level, a great way to gain insight (not just theory) into psychology, your own and others', that is *not* readily available elsewhere. Applying yourself to poker or go can teach you a lot of the same things than working as an investment banker or a strategic planner, but the latter have multi-year barriers of entry.

Just like games, sports are overwhelmingly played for fun. (Not that there is anything wrong with that.) The fitness you gain is a byproduct. Let's say you spend a hour traveling back and forth to soccer practice, play for 1.5 hours and sit on a bench for 0.5 hours for 3 hours of total time spent. The 1.5 hours of exercise you get is geared towards winning the game, and is often quite sport specific - not maximally effective for general fitness. If you only wanted to be fit, you could exercise at home and the vicinity to eliminate travel time. Fitness-wise, 1 hour/day of focused exercise would exceed the effect of 1.5 hours of soccer. That leaves you two extra hours to work, study, socialize or have fun in another way.

Shellsh0cker

Defender of the English Language
Oct 22, 2008
urprobablyright said:
You might say you'd be handy in battle, but your extremely low endurance and tub-o-lard physique will leave u in the lurch inside 2 minutes. Example? What was that tv show... I forget the show i'm referring to but in one of the episodes a loser comes to a tabletop wargame after school club, kicks everyone's asses and heavily RPs about how badass he is, and about how he wishes he lived in '[that fantasy world]' he then gets teleported there by a god and quickly gets his ass killed. I'm pretty sure it might have been a 'whitest kids you know' episode.
I don't think anyone has said that, nor does anyone here actually think it (unless they're actually a soldier, in which case they got their skill from training, not games). Your accusation seems fairly baseless to me. Video games can provide benefits to cognitive and problem solving ability, and can tangentially interest you in new things.

MyFiyaBePurged O_o

Sep 21, 2008
IMO gaming has helped me drastically with hand eye coordination. I mean ive been gaming since i dropped out the womb (grandfather got me a nintendo a few months after i was born....dont ask why....hes a weird one) and ive been gaming ever since. Now with more recent games and consoles that have a more complex button layout , and games like Halo, Resident Evil and my new favorite L4D that have that sense of urgency - it allows your dexterity and coordination to shoot through the roof.

Because of things like that (and also listening to alot of these great game composers) Ive now picked up the guitar and the piano is next on my list. Because of all the gaming my seemingly useless right hand is picking up chord progressions at a great pace on my lefty strat (ive been making music for years because of baisc musical theory but i wanted the ability to pick up and play, of which i have none...yet lol.) But yes games have aided in better coordination and also the expansion of my love for music (esp. Japanese composers and singer/songwriters...gotta love J music)

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
videogames sparked my interest in the crusades and i got really into history after playing assassins creed.and vdgmprgrmr that sucks ):
that happened to me but it was with world of warcraft. my friend told me he couldn't hang out with me because i played world of warcraft. heart breaking