Rhode Island Bank Sues Curt Schilling

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Sober Thal said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
The shit behind the scenes was disgusting, and I really hope that kinda shit never happens again (although that might be wishful thinking on my part).
Sorry, I just have to ask...

What the hell are you talking about?

What does your mind think is 'disgusting' about this turn of events?

Seriously, what are you talking about here?
I think he lives in world no businesses ever go bust due to poor decisions by the those in charge. That the games industry is some how immune to all the problems of poor management and falling sales.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Sober Thal said:

I think he lives in world no businesses ever go bust due to poor decisions by the those in charge. That the games industry is some how immune to all the problems of poor management and falling sales.

Not sure what you're about either, don't confues me with a Curt Schil err sympathizer...

Poor management and falling sales, isn't worth the attention this topic warrants.[/quote]

I'm not confusing you with Schilling sympathizer. I just think the toaster bloke live in the world where the games industry in like every other industry. Gaming, like every other market sector, has companies that go bust. They go bust usually because the management makes bad decisions. It isn't disgusting, it isn't immoral, its just business. You take a risk and it doesn't pay off. Look what happened to Apple when they got rib of Jobs in the 90s. Schilling tried and failed to run a medium sized business, he lost a boat load money and so did other poeple. But there is no reward without risk, and this time it didn't pay off.

TheBlueRabbit

Ballistic Comedian
Jan 9, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
The shit behind the scenes was disgusting, and I really hope that kinda shit never happens again (although that might be wishful thinking on my part).

Just taking a stab in the dark here, but I'm pretty sure they were referring to the way the employees were treated and kept in the dark, then unceremoniously dumped with no warning.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
For some reason, whenever I hear the name Curt Schilling I imagine Homestar Runner.

Did he never get into the concept of limited liability?

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
I'm not sure why he would even let this go to court. If he personally guaranteed the loans, he's on the hook for them... this isn't a legal gray area. He's just going to drive up what he ultimately owes in interest and legal fees.

You made a bad call. Man up and pay your debts, Curt.

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
TheBlueRabbit said:
Sober Thal said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Just taking a stab in the dark here, but I'm pretty sure they were referring to the way the employees were treated and kept in the dark, then unceremoniously dumped with no warning.
There was also all that crap with the moving expenses. They offered to pay all the relocation costs for new employees. However, 38 Studios apparently never paid the moving companies and instead just stalled them for months. With 38 Studios going into bankruptcy the moving companies went after the employees directly. The employees thought that all those bills were taken care of almost a year ago.

Apparently 38 Studios also offered to handle the sale of the employees' old houses and pay off any outstanding mortgages from the proceeds of the sale. Once again they did nothing and now the employees find out that with the company gone bankrupt they are once again responsible for the mortgages and all the payments 38 Studios missed.

They also did not inform the employees that their employee health insurance was gonna be canceled because 38 Studios was not paying any premiums to the insurance company for months. They found out when a pregnant woman was told by her doctor that she no longer had insurance.

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
veloper said:
For some reason, whenever I hear the name Curt Schilling I imagine Homestar Runner.

Did he never get into the concept of limited liability?
Apparently Shilling was very good in personally wooing investors. They were investing because of him and thus wanted a personal guarantee.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Seriously guys, these articles are fucking screaming for some baseball jokes...

On a serious note... I feel bad for the people Schilling employed, not him.

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/baseball/mlb/salaries/player/Curt-Schilling
Holy!

This guy could fund this project several times over with one year of his baseball salary. Yeah I'm not feeling bad for him anymore. This just proves he was stupid with his money and stupid with his business.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Sober Thal said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

I was responding to someone about the behind the scenes stuff and what happened to the employees of the studio.

The stuff that's happening to him isn't and he did have it coming since he obviously has no idea what he's doing.

Alien Mole

The Quite Obscure
Oct 6, 2009
This is turning into quite the shitstorm. I feel bad for the employees, especially. There's getting screwed, and then there's this.

Just curious here, because I know jack about how businesses work: if I should buy KoA at this point, would that still benefit the developers in any way?

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
Alien Mole said:
This is turning into quite the shitstorm. I feel bad for the employees, especially. There's getting screwed, and then there's this.

Just curious here, because I know jack about how businesses work: if I should buy KoA at this point, would that still benefit the developers in any way?
EA paid 38 Studios a lot of money up front for the publishing rights to KoA so all profits from the sale go to EA until a certain threshold is reached.

Beyond that, when a company goes into bankruptcy, its debts are divided into secured and unsecured. Secured debts are loans from banks and they will be paid off first. If anything is left over, the unsecured debts are paid off then. Employee backpay is considered an unsecured debt and it is rare that they would get any money from the bankruptcy.

TheBlueRabbit

Ballistic Comedian
Jan 9, 2009
Sober Thal said:
TheBlueRabbit said:
Sober Thal said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

I must have missed the part where the employees were treated badly... lemme read again...
nope, still don't see it. Unceremoniously dumped without warning... nope, don't see that either.

What article are you referring to?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404941,00.asp

Here's just one of the articles on it.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Jesus, guy can't a break can he?
He's worth a metric fuck-tonne. He'll be fine whilst his mismanaged company's ex-employees are out of a job and the pay they're owed.

Sober Thal said:
What article are you referring to?
And this popped up recently too: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/172303/38_Studios_Spouse_speaks_out.php

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Woodsey said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Jesus, guy can't a break can he?
He's worth a metric fuck-tonne. He'll be fine whilst his mismanaged company's ex-employees are out of a job and the pay they're owed.
Well I mean that his company non-existant(?) and that whole thing is just ugly, and now he has banks going after him for money that he has to cough up. I'm sure he will be fine within a few years, I really can't see how much worse this can possibly be, but I'm sure it will happen.