RIAA Wins Appeal, Music Downloader Owes $675,000

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
RIAA: "What's the life of one person, to a multi-billion dollar industry?"

Some days, it looks like the law only favors the absurdly rich after all.

Bailey1337

Jul 29, 2011
So I actually read the news article bout all this and found out where all that money is going...and am now thoroughly appalled. Believe it or not, but the RIAA actually ended up with a NET LOSS of $325,000 getting this thing through since they had to sink over 1 million into all the court fees. In the article they explicitly said that none of the money would go to any of the artists and that the "damage" money would go toward financing more anti-piracy ads.

...WHAT MONEY!? There's none left! You butt stains ultimately just spent a fortune simply to ruin somebody's life all for the single purpose of, as you stated, "setting an example"

You...Inhumane...EVIL...People.

Mr. Tennabaum, you deserve to be punished for your crime, but not like this. This is just wrong on so many levels.

Trivea

Jan 27, 2011
The RIAA is forgetting the first and most important rule of America's legal system: never ever ever EVER sue poor people if you want money.

Really. All of this over 30 songs? *le sigh*

crazypsyko666

I AM A GOD
Apr 8, 2010
So instead of charging him $30 for the songs he stole, they're charging him 22,500 times more than the value of the music itself? Doesn't that just reek of bullshit?

It reminds me of this: http://www.cracked.com/funny-4003-the-pirate-bay/

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
they appealed the decision that the fine was excessive and won?
i dont want to lawyer on this planet any more.

and seriously, the only reason they want that much money from one guy is because the majority of the pirates arent in the US, but upload RIAA content (see: Pirate Bay. they are swedish. except for the time they tried to buy a country.)

crazypsyko666 said:
So instead of charging him $30 for the songs he stole, they're charging him 22,500 times more than the value of the music itself? Doesn't that just reek of bullshit?

It reminds me of this: http://www.cracked.com/funny-4003-the-pirate-bay/
that is exactly what it is like. cracked is the best...
i still think theyre charging whoever they can find for all of it.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
The Bandit said:
It's not about the money. It's about scaring the shit out of everyone else. Trust me, it's working.
Considering piracy is still one of top committed crimes in America, obviously not.

They'll continue to sue, no one will care.
Piracy will not stop.
People share illegally, people shoplift.

Suing for that much not only ruins someone's life, but accomplishes nothing.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
So he just has to file bankruptcy now.

$22.5k per song is BEYOND ridiculous. Who the fucks arse did they pull that number out of? A sensible penalty per song would be no more than $300 for something that costs less than a dollar for a digital download.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
I'm curious, really (asides from wondering how they manage to come up with the concept of each song being worth $22.500) but where exactly is a student of all people going to come across $675,000.

Depending on what kind of job the guy ends up with, would he not be handing over a good chunk of his annual salary every year for the rest of his life.

If you'll excuse me being a bit facetious here, if the above was the case, perhaps his situation doesn't seem so unusual after all. A student leaving university and finding himself saddled with debt for the rest of his working life? Perhaps not as uncommon as one may think...

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
What I want to know is - what were the 30 songs? For $22,500 per song, I hope it was some good stuff...

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Won't work RIAA. Just won't work.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/binary/acf9/pols_feature-16888.jpeg

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
:/

My condolences to the guy. I'm not sure whether he had malice in his intentions or was just doing something innocent that shouldn't have been done, but $675,000? Unless he knows Bill Gates, I think he's kinda screwed.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
neolithic said:
where can I sign up to work for the RIAA?? I can run down IP's and file the requisite legal form letter with a judge for 22k a song.

I think their case of "we need to recoup the costs of running down the pirates" needs to be examined.

Grats guys, you spent a mountain of money on something a script kiddy can do in 15 minutes. Does it really cost that much to send paperwork to a judge? yeesh.

Burn in hell RIAA...
No, but it's the only way they can turn a profit these days. Lawsuits. I doubt anyone really believes it's all the cost of running down pirates.

On the other hand, they're spending thousands of man-hours on terror, rather than making music. IT's kind of telling.

andrat

Jan 14, 2009
poleboy said:
You can't, which is why this money can only be used for three things: Hookers, blow and suing more people for moving bits of data around.
So basically if Charlie Sheen was suing people for torrenting old Two and a Half Men episodes.

OT: Glad I live in Canada.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
neolithic said:
where can I sign up to work for the RIAA?? I can run down IP's and file the requisite legal form letter with a judge for 22k a song.

I think their case of "we need to recoup the costs of running down the pirates" needs to be examined.

Grats guys, you spent a mountain of money on something a script kiddy can do in 15 minutes. Does it really cost that much to send paperwork to a judge? yeesh.

Burn in hell RIAA...
No, but it's the only way they can turn a profit these days. Lawsuits. I doubt anyone really believes it's all the cost of running down pirates.

On the other hand, they're spending thousands of man-hours on terror, rather than making music. IT's kind of telling.
I say let it fail. When people stop getting fed this nonstop stream of cut-and-paste music, then hopefully maybe people will start making their own music again. In the current system, when you make music for a living, rarely do you own your IP.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
JoJoDeathunter said:
And shit like this is really going to stop people pirating music right? All this does for me is make me hate the RIAA, this plus suing dead people, children and people without a computer is only driving me away from my normal opposition to piracy. I'll certainly never pirate games as I respect the industry and publishers but for music I may have no choice but to change my opinion. Vote with your wallet people, they can't sue everyone.
that's where you're wrong...

they can and will sue everyone, their family and anyone associated with you even after you're dead
they do it all the time...

all that matters is what number you are in their list :p