Riccitiello Confirms KOTOR MMOG

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Riccitiello Confirms KOTOR MMOG

Electronic Arts [http://www.ea.com] boss John Riccitiello has confirmed one of the worst-kept secrets in the industry: A Knights of the Old Republic MMOG is on the way.

Riccitiello spoke about EA's MMOG amibitions with Vivendi [http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/the-tech-observer/2008/07/17/ea-to-play-in-knights-of-the-old-republic]. It didn't work out, he claimed, "Because [Vivendi] couldn't afford control of EA, and I wasn't giving it up."

Instead, EA will make its move into the MMOG market via LucasArts [http://www.bioware.com] in the same month to develop an "interactive entertainment product," leading to widespread speculation that a KOTOR-based MMOG was in the works.

Speaking about the upcoming Mythic [http://www.warhammeronline.com/] as well as the new project, Riccitiello said, "We've got two of the most compelling MMOs in the industry in development. And the one that people are dying for us to talk to them about - in partnership with LucasArts, coming out of BioWare, which is, I think quite possibly the most anticipated game, full stop, for the industry, at the point where we get closer to telling you about it." Asked directly whether he was referring to a KOTOR MMOG, he said, "Yes."

Even though no release target has been announced, it will be interesting to see how this affects Knights of the Old Republic [http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/], originally launched in 2003 as a stand-alone RPG, maintains virtually all elements of the Star Wars universe but is set 4000 years prior to the events detailed in the movies, thereby allowing the creators to bypass the George Lucas' increasingly crappy, juvenile stories.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Malygris said:
Despite the popularity of the Star Wars franchise, Star Wars Galaxies never lived up to expectations, suffering from soft subscription numbers that have reportedly been in decline for the past few years.
That was close. I thought you were going to mention Raph Koster there. You don't want to get him started on the Star Wars Galaxies disaster because we'll never hear the end of how he doesn't want to talk about it. ;-)

Malygris said:
Knights of the Old Republic, originally launched in 2003 as a stand-alone RPG, maintains virtually all elements of the Star Wars universe but is set 4000 years prior to the events detailed in the movies, thereby allowing the creators to bypass the George Lucas' increasingly crappy, juvenile stories.
Amen, brother.

TheTemby

May 29, 2008
a note you have to see here is that every series made MMO has completly ended everything, take Lord Of The Rings Online as an example, LOTRO was a good idea but the storyline took no turn Then came the bigger and badder Age of Conan and with about half the population of the world playing warcraft, LOTRO has no future and my Fiffty says that KOTOR will end out the same way

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Johnn Johnston said:
I'll get it. KOTOR ruled, and I hope the MMO can live up to the expectations.
Remember that some game mechanics of the KOTOR series can't be reproduced for a multiplayer game. You cannot pause all other players around the world.
All we get, and that's quite fine in my book, is the background, which was infinitely better than the trite stuff Lucas thought would blow our mind. All the planets in the prequels were not impressive, and just looked like the mandatory collection of world themes you had in games.
Ocean, forest, ice, lava, desert, city, plains *yawn*

Although the worlds from KOTOR didn't distract much from that officious rule, they had details which made them stick out. Geonosis, on the other hand, was like Tatooine but with more red.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
It's still going to be DnD Based, which Kotor was. And I hope they don't make a WOW Clone with star wars skin

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
EA nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

It better have the same combat mechanics or else I WILL KILL THE TEAM WHO MADE THE GAME.....

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Yeah, because if there's anything the KOTOR universe needs right now, its millions of juveniile jedi speaking lolspeak 24/7. What a great idea EA. Just another reason for me to never buy another game from you as long as I live.

Nov 28, 2007
shadow1138 post=7.66624.574482 said:
Noooo EA's got my favorite franchise ! Who knows how they're gonna mess it up now ???
matrix3509 post=7.66624.758428 said:
Yeah, because if there's anything the KOTOR universe needs right now, its millions of juvenile jedi speaking lolspeak 24/7. What a great idea EA. Just another reason for me to never buy another game from you as long as I live.
Man, people like you really give me hope for the future of the gaming crowd. At least wait until you have actually played the game to bash it. You never know, this could be a hell of a game. Not very likely a WoW-killer, but still a good game in its own right.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
Why do companies always take really good gaming series, and turn them into MMO's when RPG single player style were just fine? I mean, WoW worked, because it had a LOT of backstory, a LOT of lore.

What does KoToR have for lore? 2 games + a few guys from KoToR being mentioned in a book? Not much to make a game off of IMHO.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s post=7.66624.758846 said:
I'd much rather see KOTOR 3. I'm not an MMO fan, and I want to find out what happened to Revan and the Exile, dammit!
The both went off to have successful careers as high-level raidbosses/Questgivers repectively. _-_

N-Sef

Jun 21, 2008
GothmogII post=7.66624.758956 said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s post=7.66624.758846 said:
I'd much rather see KOTOR 3. I'm not an MMO fan, and I want to find out what happened to Revan and the Exile, dammit!
The both went off to have successful careers as high-level raidbosses/Questgivers repectively. _-_
The ultimate insult to them.

I loved KOTOR, the sequel as well (not as much, but it was good). I honestly think they should of just made a third Knights of the Old Republic game, and not some MMO. Think of all the great stories we will never experiance from another KOTOR game when this comes online, but don't worry Bumpkin1337 will be a great replacement for Carth.

Madshaw

Jun 18, 2008
gotta say i wish they would just make KOTOR 3, continuing play as either the exile or revan would be brilliant, that or meeting the two of them, besides that i cant stan mumorpagers