Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes: Hurtful or Hysterical?

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes: Hurtful or Hysterical?

Should I be allowed to use this terrible "Ricky Jerk-Face" pun, or no?

Read Full Article

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Wow

Ricky Gervais slandered people

Have you seen his other stuff? It's very insulting and also fantastically hilarious

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Megacherv said:
Wow

Have you seen his other stuff? It's very insulting and also fantastically hilarious
That about sums it up. The HFPA obviously had NO clue about Ricky Gervais' standup. That guy is considered VICIOUS even in Britain which has different standards when it comes to comedy. I will say at the very least he didn't resort to dead baby jokes

Moeez

May 28, 2009
There must be a reason he's been asked to return to the Golden Globes year after year! The organisation wants more publicity, so they hire a comedian as their presenter, and normal people might then watch this masturbatory award ceremony.

They must know exactly what his shtick is. Gervais clearly wants out, and if this is his last time, he went out in style. Nearly all the celebrities loved his act (even Christian Bale), aside from RDJ who's always a pretentious douche IRL.

TheXRatedDodo

Jan 7, 2009
I find it deliciously ironic to see Ricky Gervais' descent into overwhelming egoism.

This man wrote and starred in one of the most powerful meditations on the cult of celebrity and how damaging it is (The show "Extras," if you haven't seen it, you should watch it! It's tauted as comedy, but I wouldn't go as far to call it funny so much as soul-crushingly honest, but excellent either way,) and is now everything he was rallying against.

FANTASTIC! Karma shall bite this man in the proverbial arse one day, and I shall giggle to myself when it does.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Ricky Gervais, you are no Norm MacDonald. Some of Norm's jokes are pretty dated since it was 1998, but this is how you do a takedown.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
I think it/he is hilarious. But then again, I'm a white male in the 18-35 bracket. Nothing offends me, and everything is funny.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Aiddon said:
Megacherv said:
Wow

That about sums it up. The HFPA obviously had NO clue about Ricky Gervais' standup. That guy is considered VICIOUS even in Britain which has different standards when it comes to comedy. I will say at the very least he didn't resort to dead baby jokes
Exactly, the things he gets away with in kids books.

Munge Fuddler?

messy

Dec 3, 2008
I think it's pretty funny.

He says worse stuff on his stand up, if it makes you laugh it's good comedy. It it doesn't then it's bad comedy.

Now for a Frankie Boyle awards show...

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
I thought it was hilarious. Come on what did he say that was so shocking? These people are rich they deserve a little ribbing!

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
TheXRatedDodo said:
I find it deliciously ironic to see Ricky Gervais' descent into overwhelming egoism.

This man wrote and starred in one of the most powerful meditations on the cult of celebrity and how damaging it is (The show "Extras," if you haven't seen it, you should watch it! It's tauted as comedy, but I wouldn't go as far to call it funny so much as soul-crushingly honest, but excellent either way,) and is now everything he was rallying against.

FANTASTIC! Karma shall bite this man in the proverbial arse one day, and I shall giggle to myself when it does.
Yeah, because obviously every celebrity that took part of Extras is EXACTLY like that IRL, just like Ricky Gervais is EXACTLY like this IRL and this hosting of his was, in fact, not him putting up the very act that he had promised would be made in advance...right.

The lengths to which some people will go to in order to conjure up their phantasies of "poetic justice", I swear - but tis the internet I guess. Live thy delusions is its motto.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Golden Globes 2011 video: 3 minutes and 51 seconds into the video

The actor looks so sad I want to give him a hug.

TheXRatedDodo

Jan 7, 2009
Loonerinoes said:
TheXRatedDodo said:

Yeah, because obviously every celebrity that took part of Extras is EXACTLY like that IRL, just like Ricky Gervais is EXACTLY like this IRL and this hosting of his was, in fact, not him putting up the very act that he had promised would be made in advance...right.

The lengths to which some people will go to in order to conjure up their phantasies of "poetic justice", I swear - but tis the internet I guess. Live thy delusions is its motto.
I'm not saying Gervais is the same in real life as he was in Extras. He was acting, and acting damn well, of course. But I just got the feeling from Extras that it was a deeply personal work.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ricky Gervais is funny on screen, but in stand-up routines...not so much.

DominicxD

Dec 28, 2009
That must have been awkward for the celebs, but who gives a fuck about them? He's there to entertain the viewers, not the celebs.