Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes: Hurtful or Hysterical?

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Gervais is just an appalling comedian, he isn't and never has been funny. His humor is always sly digs at people and their behavior.
It was totally trash in the office and his stand up leaves alot to be desired.

If he's put against the wall for this, I won't mind.

Harmondale2

Nov 18, 2009
I don't care that he made fun of other celebrities, but I don't find him funny at all, hes always just seemed like an unfunny asshole who thinks hes brilliant, theres a guy just like him in my circle of friends and no one likes him, but he thinks hes the bomb

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
This was hilarious. The Mel Gibson joke made me spit out my drink. "I like a drink as much as the next guy, unless the next guy is Mel Gibson"

Also, if you think this British comedian is ruthless, try Scottish Frankie Boyle. He will tear hollywood to shreds.

Feb 13, 2008
Shamanic Rhythm said:
For anyone who thinks this was funny: I dare you to go up to someone who's been in rehab and make a wisecrack about it to their face, as Gervais did when introducing RDJ.
British humour would force you to make a joke about having to be crazy to go in there. It's deliberately stilted awkwardness.

Think about it; if Frank Spencer, Gordon Brittas, Del Boy, Dave Lister or any other character saw someone coming out of an AA meeting, they'd say "About time for a drink then...OH SORRY!"

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
He insulted Scientology. Insulting Scientology in front of a televised audience and a crowd of celebrities (several of them Scientologists) takes raw nerve and testicles of steel. I salute him for his glorious and fearless performance at the Golden Globes.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Hysterical, all those famous people need to pull their head out their arses and learn to take a joke.

Ive watched a large amount of the coverage and he was freaking hilarious, all the bellyaching seems to be coming from these self important blowhards having their circle jerk disrupted and I for one have no sympathy for them.

N.Manth

Dec 9, 2009
categorically shows there is not enough banter in hollywood.

if you make mistakes that bad, you should really expect this sort of thing. the world is not a middle class support group.

just try a couple of weeks in the UK/US militarys any of you 'celebrities' now then you would learn to accept a little banter

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
messy said:
As would I. But I don't think anyone would turn up. But apparently Mr Boyle is retiring from stand up, I got his latest DVD and he says on it "it's my last tour and I don't give a F*** anymore"
Plus, as the DVD shows, he's way over the hill. He just isn't as funny as he used to be, because in this latest stand-up he's going purely for offensiveness over humour. People laugh because they can't believe he'd say something like that, whereas we used to laugh because we didn't believe he'd say something like that and it was fucking hilarious.

Don't get me wrong, it has good moments, but the new DVD just wasn't funny enough. Poor old Frankie. It's probably writing for the Sun that does it, his brain must be melting and dripping out of his ears...

messy said:
(I'm not sure if we can swear on the escapist, probably for the best since I'm sure a few young people peruse this site. But then again you did just link to a video involving violence in a hotel room and anti-Semitism)
Fuck yes, we can swear as much as we cunting well want to! Shit, balls, wank, Lindsay Lohan!

Bender Rodriguez

Sep 2, 2010
I loved Ricky on the globes.

Thing is, i've listened to Ricky for ever, even the late 90s London radio shows.
I identify with many of his anecdotes and beliefs.
So for me it was like watching a rich clone of myself having fun on the stage :)

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Trivun said:
And that, my friends, is basically all I have to say on the matter. The US and UK styles of comedy are somewhat different, and if people don't like hearing British humour then they should just hire a US comedian to do the awards next time.
I think it's more that British people are more willing to laugh at the edgier stuff. The uber-example of this is the late, great Bill Hicks; in the US he was playing bars for 20 people, he'd do a UK tour and fill stadiums because (as he said) we "got it" and were more willing to think than an American audience, before returning to the US and playing the same shitty bars again.

As his friends said in the recent documentary about him, a comedian wants people to understand, and for some reason we in Britain were more ready to do that.

Shotgunjack1880

Feb 12, 2010
Trivun said:
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes: Hurtful or Hysterical?

Should I be allowed to use this terrible "Ricky Jerk-Face" pun, or no?

Read Full Article
For the record, Ricky Gervais is British. The sense of humour he shows in this is a very British sense of humour, and as such is common and indeed a staple of comedy here in the UK. I'm not sure how common such humour is in the USA, but in the UK that would be considered normal. Indeed, some of the best known and most successful comedians in the UK routinely get away with much worse, and British stars are mostly more than willing to take part in things that send them up in ways that would otherwise be considered offensive, for the sake of comedy. We may complain a lot as a nation, but we're also a nation who know how to take the piss out of ourselves, and out of other people, without actually being offensive.

And that, my friends, is basically all I have to say on the matter. The US and UK styles of comedy are somewhat different, and if people don't like hearing British humour then they should just hire a US comedian to do the awards next time.
I agree with the limey. Wholeheartedly.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
The papers made that sound far worse than it actually was. It was 90-95% brilliant and 5-10% hit and miss but none of it was outright offensive.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
SonicWaffle said:
messy said:
As would I. But I don't think anyone would turn up. But apparently Mr Boyle is retiring from stand up, I got his latest DVD and he says on it "it's my last tour and I don't give a F*** anymore"
Plus, as the DVD shows, he's way over the hill. He just isn't as funny as he used to be, because in this latest stand-up he's going purely for offensiveness over humour. People laugh because they can't believe he'd say something like that, whereas we used to laugh because we didn't believe he'd say something like that and it was fucking hilarious.

Don't get me wrong, it has good moments, but the new DVD just wasn't funny enough. Poor old Frankie. It's probably writing for the Sun that does it, his brain must be melting and dripping out of his ears...

messy said:
(I'm not sure if we can swear on the escapist, probably for the best since I'm sure a few young people peruse this site. But then again you did just link to a video involving violence in a hotel room and anti-Semitism)
Fuck yes, we can swear as much as we cunting well want to! Shit, balls, wank, Lindsay Lohan!
Hurrah, I always thought we bloody well could. But I was a absent when all the new forum rules went down so just making sure.

Also yeah Frankie is no where near as funny as he used to be, he's show on channel four had some laughs but a lot of the time was just something a bit weird and dark on the screen at which you go "hmm funny I suppose."

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Aw, those poor multimillionaire awards recipients. Someone hurt their feelings :(

IF I WAS AWARE OF THE GOLDEN GLOBES, I WOULD BE SO OFFENDED.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
Didn't they have this same issue when they got russell brand to do an mtv awards show?
americans just don't always get british humour.