Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes: Hurtful or Hysterical?

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
Must be an American thing...

Ricky Gervais is British and they have a certain type of humor. I'm Australian and a lot of our comedians have a similar style.

I just watched the 2010 and 2011 Openings and they were... pretty tame. I've seen a lot more "edgy" material said on television

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Ok, I think Gervais' act was actually quite tame for his usual stuff where he offends half of his audience. And it's brilliant.

I just wish Carlin was still alive to do the awards, I think these thin-skin celebrities would end up killing themselves.

stuhacking

Mar 7, 2010
Everything I would have said about his style has already been mentioned: British Comic, Everyone loves a roast, Thought it was great.

What I found so surprising (based on watching the out-takes of The Office) is how he managed to get through the routine without bursting out laughing.

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
Side splitting!!

They're celebrities, they can afford a few well meant knocks. At least Gervais slags himself occasionally.

alinos

Nov 18, 2009
i think they need to get there heads out of there asses

Gervais may have made fun of them the only reason there so pissy is because it was at there awards ceremony while they were there.

and the fact that they can't do anything to stop it.

kinda like how the guy who voiced chef got all upset when they made fun of scientology and quit even though he'd been making fun of every other religion and fad up to that point in time.

and then tom cruise tried to use his power to block it being re-aired.

i think gervais got it right, while the awards show is for them, it's watched by the people, and if it's not entertaining and taking the piss out of the celebs than whats the point of having it on TV at all

AK47Marine

Aug 29, 2009
Damn good, I agree with Mr. Bale in that I wish Mr. Gervais had torn them even harder, those cracks about Charlie Sheen? Classic, and the Gibson bit was excellent as well, I always liked Mel as an actor but the whole lot of them need a decent deflation now and then and right before their ego zenith (an awards show) seems like a fantastic time. In the end he told everyone he'd do it and he did it and gave quite a show doing it.

Wuggy said:
I just wish Carlin was still alive to do the awards, I think these thin-skin celebrities would end up killing themselves.
Quoted for truth! Carlin would chuckle at this then hand Ricky a paper with "C- be more brutal" on it.

stuhacking

Mar 7, 2010
letterbomber223 said:
He's just not funny. Frankie Boyle does 'being a complete dickhead' in an incredibly funny way, and Gervais is just a lame imitator.
Uhm... Obvious troll?

Gervais has been going on longer than Frankie Boyle.

ChaosDemon

Oct 29, 2009
Personally I think the jab at RDJr was a little too far.
The guy had an alcohol addiction, got past it, and I'm sure he's reminded of it every single day WITHOUT people making cheap cracks at him.

But aside from that one, if you're in the public limelight, you're going to be the butt of a few jokes.

Also, Collin Firth had the best acceptance speech of the night. Humble and funny. What a combo.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
They're not regular people struggling for their livelihoods. They're all big boys and girls making fat wads of cash. The only things that got hurt in there were probably a few egos, and that's that...but that's me being fancy in my saying "I don't care."

drizzt102

Jan 20, 2011
One word. HILARIOUS!!!!!!! They knew what they were getting when they hired him, so I don't see what they're complaining about.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Thunderhorse31 said:
I think it/he is hilarious. But then again, I'm a white male in the 18-35 bracket. Nothing offends me, and everything is funny.
Pretty much this. Besides, he warned them.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
Aiddon said:
The HFPA obviously had NO clue about Ricky Gervais' standup. That guy is considered VICIOUS even in Britain which has different standards when it comes to comedy. I will say at the very least he didn't resort to dead baby jokes
1-by British standards he is not considered vicious in any way, shape or form. He is jsut a run of the mill comedian here.

2-He hosted the show last year and his style and comments were essentially the same.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Have they seen his stuff? At times he is nothing short of a snarky asshole, but that's his shtick. Be informed about your host before you book him. I bet when he was offered the job, he thought, "Oh man, I am going to make these bastards regret this..."