Ride With a Gang in Free Co-op Red Dead Redemption DLC

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Ride With a Gang in Free Co-op Red Dead Redemption DLC

Red Dead Redemption [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74710] is set to introduce free DLC shortly after its release that will include co-op missions. Did I mention it's free?

I love the many things in life that are free: air... okay, air is all I can think of, but air is great. DLC in the current generation has had a tendency to not be free, but when it comes to Red Dead Redemption's first DLC pack this won't be the case. Rockstar Games has announced that the game's Outlaws to the End mission pack will not cost gamers a single red, or any other colored, cent.

Outlaws to the End is coming in June simultaneously to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Red Dead Redemption and focuses on co-op. Multiplayer in Red Dead already looks pretty sweet [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ_z-_4fF4Y] in competitive mode, and the co-op missions only seek to increase the game's value for online players. Six missions will be added that you can play right alongside 1-3 of your cowpoke buddies (for a total of 2-4 players), providing more ways to accrue multiplayer experience points and new achievements/trophies to sharpshoot.

The three missions Rockstar revealed are: Walton's Gold, a mining camp rigged with explosives that players must haul as much gold out of as they possibly can before being blown into salted pork; The River, a fun raft ride where players will be attacked by gatling gun fire on the way towards an epic battle at a weapons stronghold; and Ammunition, an assault on the town of Tesoro Azul which the Mexican Army has taken over.

When it comes to Red Dead Redemption, the single-player looks good, the multiplayer looks good, and free DLC looks and feels good. However, as a grizzled, bearded man once told me in a saloon while I was having a sip of cactus wine, never count your chickens before they hatch. Rockstar says that Outlaws to the End is one of three packs to be released, but didn't reveal if packs two and three will also cost zero dinero. Red Dead Redemption is due out on May 18.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I love free things. Rockstar is one of my favorite developers. Everything they make is pure gold.

This will likely keep myself and others playing the game much longer than we would have initially.

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
That's neat and all but I can't help but feel these sorts of deals are like taking something that was supposed to be part of the game, releasing it a little later and then calling it free. Seems like saying my dinner comes with a free glass of ice water and a napkin.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Those all sound fun, but a part of me is sad that there isn't a posse mission. And that's horrible.
Maybe there'll be a 3:10 to Yuma mission in the game or in a further DLC. I'm sending this to your minds, Rockstar. OOoooOOoooo!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, not big on playing online with consoles due to the lack of a mic, but it's still a neat addition.

This and Alan Wake are my game purchuses for this month, so I'm hoping this is as good as it looks so far. I'm be disappointed if it goes the way of most of the other Western games I've seen released over the years.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:
...This is win.

I wonder if it was already on the disc, but need to be unlocked?
I think that maybe they didn't have enough time to finish working on Co-op and as it was suppose to be in the game and they don't want to delay RDR again, then its free DLC.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
Dr. wonderful said:
...This is win.

I wonder if it was already on the disc, but need to be unlocked?
Nah, they likely didn't have the time as Flamezdudes said. If it was already on the disk they wouldn't be giving it out for free if it was going to be day one DLC, it would cost some amount of cash for the 'unlock key'. That is the one DLC type that I wholeheartedly disagree with. This one I love, however.

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
Hrmm....guess I should really, really enjoy it due to the fact that a deal with Blockbuster gives this month rentals free. I will have to try it now, mostly for curiousity.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Red Dead...Lost Planet 2...Red Dead...Lost Planet 2.

I do hope that I made the right choice with Lost Planet.

May 1, 2010
Sounds impressive, I personally found the co-operative missions in GTAIV to be solid and addictive (I dominated with the helicopter, I could thread a needle with wire too thick for the eye blindfolded in that thing) and definitely spent more time crashing into the side of Bomb Da Base's boat than shooting others.

I can only hope that these missions will offer a role for me to get into and prove just as involving. The first pack being free is a good idea as well, a demo of the two that shall follow if you prefer.

Despite this, individuals will still complain later when they decide they should charge when it is viewed that "it should be part of the original game" - scratch that, there are already complaints before its even released and on the future packs that absolutely nothing bar the amount incoming.

Define "part of the original game" - if you use prior generations that lacked DLC as your thumbpoint then you'd be wrong, as the (DLC) platform didn't exist nor did the Multiplayer that the majority of DLC focuses on.

Sure we have our single player campaigns, but where is the line drawn of "part of original game"? Should each game have a development cycle of two additional years with a price inflated to match?

I guess I should have become resilient to the fallacy of these arguments by now, but I still can't believe the same old comments that still get spouted within every DLC discussion.

Remember everyone; DLC is here for good so it is no use fretting over it anymore. It has proven to be a viable platform for furthering the profitability of a product and thus is a part of your game forever and always.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Is there a demo? Im firmly on the fence over RDR.

I didn't enjoy GTAIV that much, I opened up the middle island then ran out of motivation to keep playing.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Well this is definitely good news... it makes me want this game even more. Rockstar, you might have created the perfect game here.