Ridley Scott's Alien Re-Imagined as 1950s Sci-Fi

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Ridley Scott's Alien Re-Imagined as 1950s Sci-Fi

Artist Jake Locket imagines what sci-fi classic Alien would look like if it was made in the 50s.

Ridley Scott's science fiction/thriller classic Alien [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/alien] hit theaters in 1979, propelling actress Sigourney Weaver into the spotlight and kick-starting a whole franchise. One of Alien's most recognizable features is its gritty, bulky late 70s technology and industry, which together with films like Terminator and Blade Runner created the "tech noir" genre. But what if Alien came thirty years earlier?

Artist Jake Lockett [http://jake-lockett.com/portfolio/] has imagined just that, re-imagining some of Alien's most iconic scenes in the style of those cheesy 1950s sci-fi b-movies.

Check them out below:

[gallery=5865]

Images used with permission.

If you liked these, you can check out more of Lockett's work on his portfolio website [http://jake-lockett.com/portfolio/], although this appears to be the only "re-imagining of a film in a different decade" style piece.

Source: Jake Lockett [http://jake-lockett.com/portfolio/]

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
If anything the alien looks too realistic! I'd love an alien movie in this style over a sequel to Prometheus.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
GothmogII said:
If anything the alien looks too realistic! I'd love an alien movie in this style over a sequel to Prometheus.
I'd love a movie based on the original Prometheus script, as opposed to the one that was run over by the guy who wrote Lost.

As for this, just what I needed, Xenomorph before bed, won't keep me up, honest.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
... You couldn't have people bleeding in the 50's! Even people who were shot wouldn't bleed in 50's films. So picture 3 would violate the Hays Code, and the film wouldn't be allowed in most theaters. Even cheesy B-Films had to have standards.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
OH MY GOD! ESCAPIST!!!

YOU PEOPLE ARE UNBELIEVABLE!

Black and white 1905s Sci-Fi B-Movie.

Seriously?! I get that its a for fun article, but come on Steve. You dropped the ball on this one. Always always end your fake so bad its good black/white 50s sci-fi movie parody article with this.

Always

God, and people wonder why I feel unappreciated.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I have always found the aesthetics of 50s-60s horror and sci-fi movies to be entirely unpalatable. I really cannot say anything else since I can do little more than express my explicit ire for it.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
Mr.Mattress said:
... You couldn't have people bleeding in the 50's! Even people who were shot wouldn't bleed in 50's films. So picture 3 would violate the Hays Code, and the film wouldn't be allowed in most theaters. Even cheesy B-Films had to have standards.
I thought exactly the same thing. No way they could have shown the famous chest bursting scene. They would have had to just show him lying on his side, with his back to the camera or something. Maybe show a shadow discretion shot, and cut to a close-up of a female character screaming, and describing what's happening just off-screen. That's how you do 50s sci-fi.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
This is awesome and I want this to be done in reality. I know Ridley Scott would never go for it, but if he could just let somebody else put some work into it, that would be great.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
BeeGeenie said:
Mr.Mattress said:
I thought exactly the same thing. No way they could have shown the famous chest bursting scene. They would have had to just show him lying on his side, with his back to the camera or something. Maybe show a shadow discretion shot, and cut to a close-up of a female character screaming, and describing what's happening just off-screen. That's how you do 50s sci-fi.
Ditto althought I was thinking more of having the camera viewing the guy sideway as he lay on his back. The baby alien simply emrge out of his chest with no blood what so ever. yeah the off scream discription is most likely or just rewrite the chest burst scene competely (maybe he vomit out the alien and die or transform into the alien).