Ridley Scott's Halo: Nightfall Leads Directly Into Halo 5 Guardians

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Ridley Scott's Halo: Nightfall Leads Directly Into Halo 5 Guardians

The new live action Halo: Nightfall episodic movie gets a first reveal at San Diego Comic Con, and we get a glimpse at the characters and the actors and how they tie into the video game.

Read Full Article

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
It looks like Halo: Nightfall has something to do with the flood.

And its a lead in to Halo 5, which leads me to believe that it will have something to do with the flood, too.

Which, if true, irritates me. 343 is either incapable of doing their own thing, or Microsoft is meddling with the game's direction, and I hate seeing that.

Again, that was just speculation, but man, if its true? I would be very worried about Halo 5 (especially since Halo 4 sucked).

EDIT-Also, another Halo movie, Microsoft? Forward Unto Dawn was terrible; please stop trying to make cheap movies from Halo.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Well hopefully it will be post Covenant war so that they can show more than the hopelessly outgunned and outnumbered humans getting curbstompped all the time.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Hey look, it's that girl from the gamma forest, the girl who ran. So are they still working on a Halo movie or is this it?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
SacremPyrobolum said:
Well hopefully it will be post Covenant war so that they can show more than the hopelessly outgunned and outnumbered humans getting curbstompped all the time.
Pretty sure it takes place post-Halo 3 but pre-Halo 4.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
I am reminded of a certain Critical Miss strip. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/critical-miss/10352-Xbone-Week-3]

I played Halo CE PC multiplayer endlessly and still consider the Arbiter's sections in Halo 2 as the high point of the series.

However, the story quite clearly ended with Halo 3, even going for obvious mythic elements with Master Chief adrift in space as a sealed badass waiting to be awoken. Microsoft negated that entirely for Halo 4, and because Halo was basically the sole reason Xbox survived at all and and everything else is going multiplatform (with PCs dominating the consoles utterly), Microsoft will keep padding out the series until it hits rock bottom and drills deep, deep into the Earth's crust.

Gali

Nov 19, 2009
Asclepion said:
However, the story quite clearly ended with Halo 3, even going for obvious mythic elements with Master Chief adrift in space as a sealed badass waiting to be awoken. Microsoft negated that entirely for Halo 4, and because Halo was basically the sole reason Xbox survived at all and and everything else is going multiplatform (with PCs dominating the consoles utterly), Microsoft will keep padding out the series until it hits rock bottom and drills deep, deep into the Earth's crust.
Not really, did you see the legendary ending? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_A6-Wcadbw It was teased how Chief and Cortana are floating towards Requiem, the forerunner shield world were Halo 4 takes place. Personally, I think Halo could be something like videogames' Star Wars, considering how 343 gives a damn about their EU it makes sense. Just a suggestion for those who don't want to be a cynic about it.

Also, PC dominating? Performancewise yeah, but sales and the effort many dev teams but into their PC ports (because of said poorer sales) say different.

Korten12 said:
The offical summary says it's between 4 and 5. http://news.xbox.com/2014/07/ent-halo-nightfall-sdcc-announcement

I'm quite exicted for this. Forward Unto Dawn was entertaining. 343 really puts effort into their transmedia in general. I recently found out that they got Karen Traviss to write a whole trilogy of books. She was responsible for fleshing out Mandalorian, Boba Fett and clone trooper lore for Star Wars - until they f*cked it up with the Clone Wars TV series. So thats a pretty good fit, can't wait to read it.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
Gali said:
Asclepion said:
Not really, did you see the legendary ending? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_A6-Wcadbw It was teased how Chief and Cortana are floating towards Requiem, the forerunner shield world were Halo 4 takes place. Personally, I think Halo could be something like videogames' Star Wars, considering how 343 gives a damn about their EU it makes sense. Just a suggestion for those who don't want to be a cynic about it.

Also, PC dominating? Performancewise yeah, but sales and the effort many dev teams but into their PC ports (because of said poorer sales) say different.

Korten12 said:
The offical summary says it's between 4 and 5. http://news.xbox.com/2014/07/ent-halo-nightfall-sdcc-announcement

I'm quite exicted for this. Forward Unto Dawn was entertaining. 343 really puts effort into their transmedia in general. I recently found out that they got Karen Traviss to write a whole trilogy of books. She was responsible for fleshing out Mandalorian, Boba Fett and clone trooper lore for Star Wars - until they f*cked it up with the Clone Wars TV series. So thats a pretty good fit, can't wait to read it.
I was with you until you spoke positively about Karen Traviss. Now we can never be friends ever.

I agree though about it being the Star Wars of video games. It's neat to see it expanding into other media.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
Reminds me that I should look for Halo 4 in a bargain bin some day, and finally see for myself what all the fuss is about.

Anyhow, I though Forward Unto Dawn enjoyable enough, so if I get a chance I'll probably give this a look too.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Of course Mr. Marine will be friends with Master Chief, there's only been one Human enemy in this series thus far (not counting the marines you see for like five seconds in Halo 2). There's also only been one Human antagonist and he died before the game even started.

Seeing as they've already tried changing the Flood into just a last ditch attempt at murdering everyone (which was bullshit), I will sit and wait for them to tear the Flood's lore apart again. Also if the Halo ring still had functional sentinels and/or functional flood containment facilities, why didn't 343 Guilty Spark stay behind? No really, it's his function to care for his ring and if his ring is still even remotely functional, then he should have stayed there.

343, I'm trying to not hate on you, it's why I'm still looking up Halo information at all, but you aren't helping yourselves.

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
I'm intrigued as to what "element" they have discovered, apparently naturally occurring somewhere, that "selectively kills humans and nothing else". Honestly? Was it really too hard for the writer to use google/wikipedia?
Reminds me of:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-jobs-that-hollywood-apparently-doesnt-realize-it-needs/

Or are they going to spout some fire, water, wind, earth, (heart, Go Planet!) crap? And give us ether (aether, aeither, aetherium etc.).

Hell, maybe they're talking about mercury, lead, arsenic or cadmium, they're pretty good at killing humans, but a story where the hook is "We're off to destroy a lead mine" doesn't really seem that "epic" and slightly out of place in the larger Halo universe.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
I don't actually mind the flood being used as long as they are restricted to this mini series. The show's primary purpose is to introduce Locke and to give him some back story like what "Forward onto Dawn" did for Lt. Lasky. So chances are the story here will be self contained and won't have any effect on the plot of Halo 5.

If they can create something similar to the Halo short story "The Mona Lisa" then this could be a fun ride.

I'm also hoping they'll go into detail about the bloody history between Earth and the colonies/insurrectionists as it is something you rarely hear about outside of the books.

Anyway looking forward to this especially since "Forward Onto Dawn" was a pleasant surprise.

Evonisia said:
Also if the Halo ring still had functional sentinels and/or functional flood containment facilities, why didn't 343 Guilty Spark stay behind? No really, it's his function to care for his ring and if his ring is still even remotely functional, then he should have stayed there.
Considering the fact that there are no human colonies near installation 04's original location, I get the impression that the ring fragment drifted for several months or even years before it crashed on the colony world (long after Guilty Spark's destruction). I don't know how Guilty Spark could have known that any of the fragments were functional in anyway.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Zetatrain said:
Evonisia said:
Also if the Halo ring still had functional sentinels and/or functional flood containment facilities, why didn't 343 Guilty Spark stay behind? No really, it's his function to care for his ring and if his ring is still even remotely functional, then he should have stayed there.
Considering the fact that there are no human colonies near installation 04's original location, I get the impression that the ring fragment drifted for several months or even years before it crashed on the colony world (long after Guilty Spark's destruction). I don't know how Guilty Spark could have known that any of the fragments were functional in anyway.
I guess it depends on whether they say said fragments were reactivated or not. If they were always functional (well, always after the explosion), then I don't understand it. Then again even if they weren't functional, the Flood would survive so at least I've no issue with that.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I don't feel that Halo is really a good fit for live action. The designs of the weapons and armors just don't translate very well from the slightly cartoonish proportions of the games. Forward Unto Dawn was okay at best, but it had a hilariously bad Mjolnir suit when Chief showed up. And the guns, oh man, the guns looked worse than the giant Moritas from Starship Troopers.

The best Live Action Halo features we ever got were the Landfall and Remember campaigns for Halo 3.