Riot Claims League of Legends Is "the Most Played Video Game"

JoshV

Mar 20, 2009
Riot Claims League of Legends Is "the Most Played Video Game"

According to the popular MOBA developer, League of Legends has more than twice as many peak concurrent players as Modern Warfare 3 on Xbox Live.

What do you think the most played video game, at this very moment, is? The one with the most people playing it right now. World of Warcraft? Or maybe Modern Warfare 3? What about Starcraft? Korea has entire television networks dedicated to the game.

None of those, says Riot Games, developer of the popular MOBA League of Legends. Indeed, the developer claims that, "By hours played per month," its own League of Legends is, "the most played video game in the world." And they've drawn up a massive infographic to prove it.

The entire infographic is visible below, but here are a few of its claims: League of Legends has a playerbase of some 32 million players active per month, with 12 million active per day, and an average of 3 million concurrent users at peak hours, compared to the 1.4 million Modern Warfare 3 players on Xbox Live. Riot Games also claims that League of Legends averages over 1 billion play hours, across all players, worldwide, every month.

Such a claim is extremely bold, and may be worth further scrutiny. Most of the exact methodology of how they determined their numbers is not mentioned in the infographic, but a few of the stats are further explained, and some of them stick out as rather curious. For example, the peak concurrent players of the top 100 games on Steam was determined to be 650,000 based on one single day, while the 3 million figure of League of Legends peak concurrent players was apparently determined based on an entire month of data.

On the other hand, Riot Games may very well be correct, and a number of their statistics are much more solid. Either way, you can judge it for yourself; entire infographic is visible below.

Source: Riot Games [http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/league-legends-community-infographic]

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Not surprised.

"Free to Play" and you gain a bonus once a day from winning which gets you closer to perma unlocking things.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
Riot's known for inflating numbers i.e. bot "viewers" in streams.

Of those 70 million accounts, how many are smurfs?

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
The most important thing to take from this is that Gangnam Style has become an internet barometer for facebook likes.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
I swear upon my nerd/geek-hood that i'm not saying this as a League of Legends fan (My avatar is not helping my case). But there is a good chance that the statistics are true. The comparisons maybe not. But judging by the amount of people i know that play the game i can't help but believe it.

Honestly it's not even a suprise to me because i've never seen a game development company update their game so often and keep the community involved so well in their decisions.

I have issues with LoL (Largely the community but that is no isolated case among online gmes), it's by no means my favorite game, but RIOT may well be my favorite developers.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
KeyboardSnorlax said:
Never played it, and from what I've read people say about the community on other LoL topics here, never will lol
Same here, I'm none too anxious to learn new and exciting ways to be insulted. Though I sometimes wonder if the community is really that vile, or just the victim of perception.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
The Teemo death rate definitely made me laugh. However, I can't help but be a little skeptical, like is Riot only counting the original Halo, or all of them combined. Also, why Modern Warfare 3, most people I know haven't bothered to pick that one up after having already played and gotten bored of 1 and 2. They also gave away some random stuff for Facebook likes before.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Jhooud said:
KeyboardSnorlax said:
Never played it, and from what I've read people say about the community on other LoL topics here, never will lol
Same here, I'm none too anxious to learn new and exciting ways to be insulted. Though I sometimes wonder if the community is really that vile, or just the victim of perception.
Victim perception.

I've been playing since beta...and it's really nothing worse than anything you'd experience with any other online community, or sport for that matter.

Also there's a mute feature. It's handy.

cahtush

Jul 7, 2010
SC2 MASTER RACE /jk

I have very low trust for riot right now, inflated stream numbers and the recent tournament disaster.
So im taking these numbers with a bit of salt.
[sub][sub]And no it has nothing to do with butthurt becouse they get more views than sc2. Nothing.[/sub][/sub]

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Breaking news: Free shit more popular than Paid-for shit!

A better comparison might be between LoL's playerbase and those of Farmville, TF2 and/or other F2P games.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
a) This image has been for ages in the net. And by ages I mean at least a week or so.

b) Not the first time this image and exact claim is made in this forums.

c) It's not even clear if it's true, as you can check here. http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/10i3sx/so_you_thought_dota2_was_getting_large/

Aaaand, I am out of the thread, don't give a crap about this or LoL in general. It's just that I am a little picky about "facts".

Jhooud said:
KeyboardSnorlax said:
It is, though to be fair if you don't want bad communities never play a competitive PvP videogame. ARTS, DotA, MOBA or whatever you want to call them are just specially bad. Edit: Also, MOBA is a horrible way to call them IMO :p

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Hmm..... i would have thought a lot more Teemo deaths than that. But i do guess the monthly break i took effects that number substantially.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Frostbite3789 said:
GenGenners said:
Very bold claims.
This will be one to watch once it implodes.
"HA HA HA HA, PEOPLE LIKE SOMETHING I DON'T LIKE, I HOPE IT DIES."

Stay classy.
"HA HA HA HA, DELIBERATELY MISSING MY POINT TO SEEM SMARTER, COMES ACROSS AS DICK."

Stay classy.

FYI, I was referring to the stupidly OTT claims imploding, not the game. Stop drinking that troll water, it's killing your brain cells.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Wouldn't doubt it at this point honestly.
Though given how quickly their server quality went to shit on me, I'd say I got out at a good time.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
100% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.

The social media one is just flat out stupid crap, you mean that LoL has more likes after bribing people to like them than a fad page that is fairly recent?