Riot Games Announces League of Legends: Dominion

weker

May 27, 2009
GiantRedButton said:
Frostbite3789 said:
dosp5 said:
S2 games always goes free2play with their games after a while.
Also you'll find HoN doing very well, theres a new free hero every 2 weeks.
Don't really understand the fanboy circlejerk on both ends.
Anyway hope this thread stays relativly clean and new game modes is just what moba games need. you have this huge library of heroes seems like a waste not to do sth with them
The fact they release a new character every 2 weeks displays nothing on how well the game is doing.

weker

May 27, 2009
SteelStallion said:
I don't want to spark up any unnecessary debate or derail the topic, but how come you guys only ever report on League of Legends news? I mean, Heroes of Newerth went free to play a few days ago (which is a pretty big deal, I think) and you guys didn't even throw it a mention.

I even submit one of those letter things to tell you guys about it, I figured it was worthy enough news. A new game mode is wicked news but the game's rival going free to play isn't? I smell fanboyism afoot at the Escapist office!

And yes as you can tell by my avatar, I am infact, a butthurt fanboy. I'll save you the trouble of humiliating me for it and openly admit my freaky fanaticism to the game I love.
I don't want to sound fanboyish either but HoN sits in DOTA seat while they wait for DOTA 2.
A large portion of HoN players are literally just waiting for DOTA 2 but LOL is much more different and diverse meaning it has built up its own fanbase.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
looks really cool, sounds like rumble needs to get ready to rumble

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Looking forward to Riot dropping the ball on this one like they have so far on many of the other features.

MazunatheMan

Apr 4, 2010
I wonder how balanced this mode is going to be, because the game is balanced for the standard MOBA gameplay and this is something completely different, I see a lack of minions which coulda make champions like Warwick or Irelia a pain when they need something to lifesteal, and I can tell characters like Heimerdinger are almost always going to be first pick/ban for this mode when it comes to defending points.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Slycne said:
League of Legends: Dominion will be hands-on playable at Gamescom and PAX, but Riot Games is committed to only releasing it when they know it's prefect so the final date of when it will go live is still TBA.
That typo timing is just perfect.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Shjade said:
Slycne said:
League of Legends: Dominion will be hands-on playable at Gamescom and PAX, but Riot Games is committed to only releasing it when they know it's prefect so the final date of when it will go live is still TBA.
That typo timing is just perfect.
What are you saying Riot Games doesn't want Dominion to be a commander in the Roman Empire?

Thanks, fixed.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Slycne said:
What are you saying Riot Games doesn't want Dominion to be a commander in the Roman Empire?
Well, if Dominion were a new champion rather than a game mode, I suppose that could give Pantheon a proper rival...

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Shjade said:
Slycne said:
Well, if Dominion were a new champion rather than a game mode, I suppose that could give Pantheon a proper rival...
A legionnaire or triarii might be a little too similar to Pantheon, but I think a Roman gladiator could probably be done well. Maybe with some kind of interesting mechanic of "pleasing the crowd" with bonuses on last hitting other champions.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Slycne said:
Maybe with some kind of interesting mechanic of "pleasing the crowd" with bonuses on last hitting other champions.
Hm. I like where you're going with that, actually. Something like +X gold per nearby champion when landing a killing blow?

Severin90

Nov 24, 2010
Tenmar said:
So basically...they created a half ass version of what Demigod did with their capture mode. Really that's pretty bad but at least they finally took my advice and created a deathmatch like mode where people could finally go for the kill instead of minion farm(but I bet that will still be more important).

Also, it's pretty poor design when Riot has to DENY their own items in a single game mode. That just reeks of them not really doing any prep work. Or I should say that they understand how unbalanced their own game is.
Willing to take away their own items shows they actually look at the result of their actions and adjust them to make it more balanced. Perfection never comes in an instant, its a long process with a lot of trial and errors. If you want it the other way around with proper "prep work", you gonna the the trademark "soon" expand alooooot more.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I was hoping they'd come out with a new map.
They came out with a new game type.
I love Riot. And never once have i raged at them. And theres a good reason for it.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Shjade said:
Slycne said:
Maybe with some kind of interesting mechanic of "pleasing the crowd" with bonuses on last hitting other champions.
Hm. I like where you're going with that, actually. Something like +X gold per nearby champion when landing a killing blow?
Yeah, gladiator has to get his tribute or winnings in the arena.

Related to this and something I found really interesting while talking with Riot was that anyone in the company could submit an idea for a new champion and that ideas could start either with a great theme, image/look or a cool mechanic.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Unimpressed. They've been hyping new AMAZING THING THAT WILL BLOW OUR MINDS!!11 THIS WEEK, NOT SOON, THIS WEEK!

...new game mode that is going to be imbalanced like hell and not nearly as popular as normal 5vs5, SOON, maybe in December.

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
Not that I'm not excited to have a new game mode, but...dammit, we just FINALLY got out of the tanky DPS meta despite Yorick and Leona's release, and now we get a map that is basically a spread-out version of Treeline. Not looking forward to a Morde on every team.

Eefness

Jan 25, 2011
Abedeus said:
Unimpressed. They've been hyping new AMAZING THING THAT WILL BLOW OUR MINDS!!11 THIS WEEK, NOT SOON, THIS WEEK!

...new game mode that is going to be imbalanced like hell and not nearly as popular as normal 5vs5, SOON, maybe in December.
Actually no. They are planning on releasing it soon. Like right after Pax.

Besides when did everyone get in there heads that the announcement was the only thing they were getting at? Maybe they have something in store for the next patch. Who knows but dont be so pessimistic.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
Eefness said:
Abedeus said:

Actually no. They are planning on releasing it soon. Like right after Pax.

Besides when did everyone get in there heads that the announcement was the only thing they were getting at? Maybe they have something in store for the next patch. Who knows but dont be so pessimistic.
Do you know what Soon means for Riot? They said they would have replays and spectator mode "soon" after retail during closed beta. Two years later and we had a sneak peek at spectator a few months ago, and some random guy on the internet made a replay client before them. I used to enjoy the game, but I've realized how full of it Riot is. They promised they would vary champ prices, they haven't. All they release is 6300 champs. They said they were working on new maps. Over a year later we get a sneak peek at one, and Magma Chamber got canned without them telling us. They promised a competitive scene, they don't have anything. They got MLG, but then so did HoN. They started Project Shiny a year go, so far they have shown two new models with no ETA. They got WCG, but that's because they sponsored, so they paid to be there. They rented space at Dreamhack for publicity and were not an official part of it. And the balancing team is horrible at what they do. So, those of us who have been with Riot since their early days aren't taking their promises and showcases at face value. We've been let down too many times.

Jay Satish

Aug 4, 2011
I'd love to see a new map, not a new game type. Of course, this whole Dominion hubub is one attempt at holding on as they gear up to take a player base hit from DotA 2's upcoming release later this year.