RIP Monty Oum 1981-2015

SpeedyPineapple

New member
Jan 27, 2015
3
0
0
As somebody who likes Monty and his works, I hope him a swift recovery and all the best. That being said, if they're going to ask for money they should at least give some idea as to what happened. Doesn't need to be specific, but a vague idea of "disease" or "accident" would be nice if they want other people to help pay for it.
 

Stabinbac

New member
Nov 25, 2010
51
0
0
This fundraising is coordinated by his coworkers. They are a third party in this. THEY ARE NOT HIS FAMILY. His privacy is his family's issue. If you're not okay with never knowing don't donate.
 

jhoroz

New member
Mar 7, 2012
494
0
0
Stabinbac said:
This fundraising is coordinated by his coworkers. They are a third party in this. THEY ARE NOT HIS FAMILY. His privacy is his family's issue. If you're not okay with never knowing don't donate.
Exactly. The sense of entitlement from some people in this thread is really stupid.
 

MatParker116

New member
Feb 4, 2009
2,430
0
0
DirectorK said:
Okay Robot, did you even read Kolby Jack's post up above? The hows and whys are not what we're concerned with. It's the whats. Is Monty okay? Is he going to pull through? Stuff like that. The cause means little right now. They can release that information whenever they want to. It's his condition that we're concerned about. Regardless of what you may think fans should know what exactly is going on after some time. It's Rooster Teeth's responsibility otherwise they wouldn't have made this public. If Monty suddenly walked out of the hospital in perfect condition without any outward signs of whatever it was he suffered, people are going to get suspicious because they just sent some of their money for something that was not as serious as they were led to believe. People are not stupid, buddy. Yes, we may not be as close as his family and friends are, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't aware of what exactly is happening because we're devoted to him regardless of our positions.

You're acting as though I want this to be a sham so I can laugh my ass off at their stupidity. No, I don't. I've been a long time follower of Rooster Teeth and Monty Oum. Yes, it would be stupid if they'd used this as a way to make money but as you said, what would be the point given their widespread fanbase? This happened all of a sudden and they're asking for money while giving us very little details. Why wouldn't people get a little suspicious? It's. Their. Money. After All! You can't give just give money away for a cause you know little to nothing about, even for something as serious as this. Otherwise, you're just a blind follower giving away your hard earned money without ever knowing exactly why.

And before you start lecturing me about privacy let me tell you this. I just lost my oldest brother shortly after New Years and the worst part of it was that he'd just become a father and his daughter is not even a year old yet. His wife, my family, and his friends were very torn up about it. We respected his wife's wish for privacy yet she didn't let us in the dark about about how he died or the details of his funeral because she had no reason to. So don't be telling me about privacy when you don't know jack about the word.
There taking the weekend to try and process the fact that a colleague and friend to a lot of RT employees is in critical condition:
 

NiPah

New member
May 8, 2009
1,084
0
0
Johnny Novgorod said:
So what happened to him?
Burnie said:
It is with great regret that I must inform you that our co-worker and our dear friend, Monty Oum, has had a medical emergency. He is currently hospitalized in critical care and it is not known if he will recover. He is receiving the best medical care possible and is surrounded by both family and friends who love him very much. While we wanted you to know as soon as possible, we also have the utmost respect for Monty's privacy and we hope you will understand and share in that respect.

Monty is a tremendous talent who has accomplished so much in his young life. He has an amazing creative ability and the drive to put it to use. That is a rare combination and we are proud to have shared in it. We expect that this news will be shocking to most of you and very difficult to process. It has been for many of us as well. Our hearts are with Monty, his wife Sheena and his brothers & sisters. They will need your good thoughts, your prayers, whatever kindness you have to offer.

A fund has been been established to assist Monty's family with his medical expenses. If you wish to show your support in that fashion, please visit this link.

We love you, Monty.
http://roosterteeth.com/news/entry.php?id=5427280
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
17,325
1,482
118
NiPah said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
So what happened to him?
Burnie said:
It is with great regret that I must inform you that our co-worker and our dear friend, Monty Oum, has had a medical emergency. He is currently hospitalized in critical care and it is not known if he will recover. He is receiving the best medical care possible and is surrounded by both family and friends who love him very much. While we wanted you to know as soon as possible, we also have the utmost respect for Monty's privacy and we hope you will understand and share in that respect.

Monty is a tremendous talent who has accomplished so much in his young life. He has an amazing creative ability and the drive to put it to use. That is a rare combination and we are proud to have shared in it. We expect that this news will be shocking to most of you and very difficult to process. It has been for many of us as well. Our hearts are with Monty, his wife Sheena and his brothers & sisters. They will need your good thoughts, your prayers, whatever kindness you have to offer.

A fund has been been established to assist Monty's family with his medical expenses. If you wish to show your support in that fashion, please visit this link.

We love you, Monty.
http://roosterteeth.com/news/entry.php?id=5427280
No, I saw the first post, I mean what happened to him?
 

Zaeseled

New member
May 17, 2011
169
0
0
Johnny Novgorod said:
No, I saw the first post, I mean what happened to him?
That's currently being discussed in the thread. One side wants to know what happened, the other is busy screaming that you're not entitled to any information.
 

NiPah

New member
May 8, 2009
1,084
0
0
Zaeseled said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
No, I saw the first post, I mean what happened to him?
That's currently being discussed in the thread. One side wants to know what happened, the other is busy screaming that you're not entitled to any information.
Everyone here wants to know what happened, but most people understand a person/family has a right to not disclose personal information like that.

Now some people claim it's not right to ask the public for money without disclosing exactly what medical emergency sent him to the hospital in critical condition, that's their prerogative, but honestly I believe the onus is on the individual to choose rather not disclosing information is a reason to not donate to his hospital costs, 7,093 people have put forward $174,180 without information so take that what you will.

That's pretty much where we're at now.
 

008Zulu_v1legacy

New member
Sep 6, 2009
6,019
0
0
All we can really gather is that it was an out of work injury as by his family wanting it to be kept secret. I am not saying we deserve to know, but knowing can sometimes help those cope and deal with the grief.
 

CharrHearted

New member
Aug 20, 2010
681
0
0
Johnisback said:
shit series (eg. RWBY).
someone clearly hasn't had their daily dose of the amazing Nora!


Though seriously, RWBY isn't all that bad, i mean, it isn't the most terrible thing ever, I think the best way to take it is to take it as something not so serious, it's just a bit of stupid, enjoyable animu weeaboo fun! Even just as something you love to laugh at for being silly!


But you're entitled to your opinions.


Though on topic, I hope he gets well soon, I think he's actually a really talented person, and like anyone, you don't want to see them in pain, lets hope it's nothing he can't get cured of!
 

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
5,477
0
0
Even if there's no information other than he's in critical condition & it's currently unknown if he'll pull through, and his family wishes to maintain privacy on the matter, we can probably still make a fairly educated guess.

Due to the very suddenness of the situation, it isn't likely a medical illness (like cancer). Monty had also been regular in his Twitter updates, and as far as I'm aware, he never posted anything about his health declining in such a way, so it's probably safe to rule such guesses out.

We can easily write out this being due to him severely overworking himself, as his work isn't one that'd lead to such worry after working too hard too long (he works on computers rather than, say, building buildings).

Now, this leaves the guesses that he was maybe in a car accident, or shot. More likely to have happened, but due to how tightly they're keeping the situation to their chests, this seems a little less likely since the former isn't really something you'd be so intent on keeping secret. Being shot then sounds more likely, however people have looked up to see if there has been any shootings in Austin the past few days, but have turned up nothing.

So, this has led people to believe that he may have tried killing himself. It would explain why they don't wish to talk about it (it being a very personal matter, and likely so that if he does recover he won't have to deal with internet harassers), the very suddenness of it, and how upset everyone at Rooster Teeth seems.

And the whole thing being a scam to drum up money is so idiotic and ludicrous it's not worth thinking.

Regardless of what happened to him, I hope he recovers. Met him at NYCC, and he was a nice dude, and took time to complement me and my cosplay.
 

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
14,152
1,152
118
soren7550 said:
And the whole thing being a scam to drum up money is so idiotic and ludicrous it's not worth thinking.
Yeah but that's what a lot of people said about the Extra Credits group when they had their charity drive for Allison Theus and we all know how that ended (that wasn't a "scam" scam but we know a lot of people were not happy with how those funds were ultimately used).

However, as others have suggested, I just choose not to donate because I don't have enough information that I'm willing to put money on it. I wish the guy all the best and hope that they don't get themselves in their own Extra Credit-like snafu over this...
 

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
5,477
0
0
tippy2k2 said:
soren7550 said:
And the whole thing being a scam to drum up money is so idiotic and ludicrous it's not worth thinking.
Yeah but that's what a lot of people said about the Extra Credits group when they had their charity drive for Allison Theus and we all know how that ended (that wasn't a "scam" scam but we know a lot of people were not happy with how those funds were ultimately used).

However, as others have suggested, I just choose not to donate because I don't have enough information that I'm willing to put money on it. I wish the guy all the best and hope that they don't get themselves in their own Extra Credit-like snafu over this...
I'm not fully familiar with what happened with Extra Credits (they took the money left over from the medical expenses to fund game makers or something?), but EC is a YouTube series, whereas Rooster Teeth is an ever expanding multimedia company. It'd be suicidal of them to do such a thing.
 

DirectorK

New member
Aug 22, 2014
86
0
0
NiPah said:
And then we have that one dude who hates the man's work and had a gut feeling telling him not to donate.
Excuse me, I never said I hated the man's work, in this case RWBY. What I don't like is how he's treated it the last two years. You want to call me an asshole because I didn't donate like everyone else did without second thought fine, but don't come here making a smart remark like that simply because I was thinking. It's my money, and I'll use it the way I want to. It's not like me not donating is going to hurt him.
 

madster11

New member
Aug 17, 2010
476
0
0
Seems to me like donating for an unspecified medical emergency is pretty dumb.
Maybe if there was 'needs [x] surgery' or 'has [x] amount of hospital bills' it would be a lot more reasonable, but what point does giving such a large amount of money now serve? It's not going to help in the immediate future because unless he's at the worst hospital to have ever existed, they'll do everything they can now anyway. All it proves is there's 7000 people willing to just throw their money at any cause they have no idea about because of a single post. The donation thing had already made tens of thousands before any of the twitters or videos went up talking about it, what if somebody guessed burnies password and decided to make a quick buck?

As harsh as this is going to sound, if you live in the US and are as far above the poverty line as the RT people are, what excuse do you have for a lack of health insurance? What if he has health insurance and it'll all be covered anyway, where does the $200k go?

Can't tell if i blame stupid people donating or the RT people for asking. Go from talking about fucking wi-fi connected light bulbs in their houses to asking for donations for their friends life?