RIP Monty Oum 1981-2015

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
DirectorK said:
NiPah said:
And then we have that one dude who hates the man's work and had a gut feeling telling him not to donate.
Excuse me, I never said I hated the man's work, in this case RWBY. What I don't like is how he's treated it the last two years. You want to call me an asshole because I didn't donate like everyone else did without second thought fine, but don't come here making a smart remark like that simply because I was thinking. It's my money, and I'll use it the way I want to. It's not like me not donating is going to hurt him.
Can we not start a flame war over this. If you have a problem with that user just take it to PMs.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
DirectorK said:
NiPah said:
And then we have that one dude who hates the man's work and had a gut feeling telling him not to donate.
Excuse me, I never said I hated the man's work, in this case RWBY. What I don't like is how he's treated it the last two years. You want to call me an asshole because I didn't donate like everyone else did without second thought fine, but don't come here making a smart remark like that simply because I was thinking. It's my money, and I'll use it the way I want to. It's not like me not donating is going to hurt him.
I edited that part out, my apologies for stepping out of bounds but your original post really rubbed me the wrong way.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Robot Number V said:
Saying stuff like this only contributes to the spreading of completely baseless rumors. We have no idea what happened to him, and just because the family wants privacy, that is NOT a reason to assume shitty things about Monty with no real evidence.

And I'm going to keep repeating the same thing across this thread:

Monty's family has every right to ask for money without giving more information, as long as they are clear about their terms, which they have been.

They aren't promising anything in return for the donations. The terms are clear: Your money will go to Monty and his family, and that's all you get to know. If you don't like those terms, don't donate. It's as simple as that.
I'd hardly call it baseless since we're running on probabilities and knocking out other aspects.

Drug overdose or attempted suicide are top two competitors. If it's neither of the two I'll eat my sock.

And yes, I'm under no obligation to give them anything and they have every right to request for money. Doesn't mean it can't be a topic of discussion and it especially doesn't mean that folks won't hypothesis as to the nature of the ailment.

No matter the issue I wouldn't donate because I don't know the individual from a bar of soap, I just find not revealing the cause/symptoms to be indicative of self-harm.

DirectorK

Aug 22, 2014
NiPah said:
DirectorK said:
NiPah said:
I edited that part out, my apologies for stepping out of bounds but your original post really rubbed me the wrong way.
It's all cool. I appreciate people that respect other's thoughts without seeing the need to lash out at them because they don't think the same way as they do.

Randomvirus

Aug 12, 2009
Baffle said:
DirectorK said:
But after a day or two we deserve to know something about Monty's condition
No you don't. You have no right to that information at all.
If they're asking people to give them money for treatment, people giving that money have a right to know what they're giving money for.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Randomvirus said:
Baffle said:
DirectorK said:
But after a day or two we deserve to know something about Monty's condition
No you don't. You have no right to that information at all.
If they're asking people to give them money for treatment, people giving that money have a right to know what they're giving money for.
Actually, they have the right to give them money of their own volition. They have no right to any more information at all.

It would be considered polite or "good business" to reveal the nature of the ailment but there is certainly no "right" for those who donate to have that information revealed to them.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
DirectorK said:
Okay Robot, did you even read Kolby Jack's post up above? The hows and whys are not what we're concerned with. It's the whats. Is Monty okay? Is he going to pull through? Stuff like that.
At the time of the inital posting regarding his hospitalization, they specifically stated they do not know if he will pull through. If no further information has been provided, then it is likely safe to assume that they still do not know. If he was getting better, they'd all be cheering over their twitter accounts and announcing it happily. If he was getting worse, they'd be sharing condolences. Since they are doing neither, logic would assume that he's still in a place of uncertainty.

And considering what of their best friends is currently fighting for his life, they all have more pressing and important things on their mind than to waste time hopping online to say to everyone 'hey everybody, nothing new to report'.

And before you start lecturing me about privacy let me tell you this. I just lost my oldest brother shortly after New Years and the worst part of it was that he'd just become a father and his daughter is not even a year old yet. His wife, my family, and his friends were very torn up about it. We respected his wife's wish for privacy yet she didn't let us in the dark about about how he died or the details of his funeral because she had no reason to. So don't be telling me about privacy when you don't know jack about the word.
While your loss is tragic and you have my condolences, these two situations do not compare. One is your close family and the other is a near-total stranger.

dameonstarflame

Oct 4, 2009
I normally don't talk on these forums, just stalk, but this is one thing I feel the need to jump into.

The internet age has basically destroyed privacy and good faith charity it seems. Back in the day, if somebody said somebody was hospitalized and needed money people would give it without needing to push further if they were asked not to pry. But now, thanks to pretty much everything being handed to us on the silver platter known as the internet, it seems asking for money to help cover what insurance may scoff at and say "you're on your own" has to come with thirty different questions from the potential donater about what happened to said person. It's sad and it breaks my heart. No matter the reasons, humans shouldn't forsake their generosity in somebody's time of need. And yes, I'm fully aware that scams have helped people become wary, but again this is the internet: people will find out and it won't be pretty. RT has too much going for it to do something stupid like scam it's fans.

I hope Monty pulls through, but if the worst should happen, I wish his family and the RT crew well.

Edit: Oh, and to those ruling out medical conditions: sometimes there really are cases where it just happens suddenly. You could be just casually walking down the street and then BOOM! You're in the hospital nearly dead because of something that'd been hidden from you the entire time, so don't rule that out quite yet despite how young he is.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
MatParker116 said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Any news on what actually happened to him? Both the site linked and the rooster teeth home page just say that he's in critical condition but neither one says why.
Family don't want it to be made public
That typically means suicide attempt. I must admit it makes me pretty curious. Hope the guy pulls through, but I kind of wonder about the gofundme, is it appropriate to use someone's critical condition, especially with the reason for it not being disclosed, to raise money?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
dameonstarflame said:
The internet age has basically destroyed privacy and good faith charity it seems. Back in the day, if somebody said somebody was hospitalized and needed money people would give it without needing to push further if they were asked not to pry. But now, thanks to pretty much everything being handed to us on the silver platter known as the internet, it seems asking for money to help cover what insurance may scoff at and say "you're on your own" has to come with thirty different questions from the potential donater about what happened to said person. It's sad and it breaks my heart. No matter the reasons, humans shouldn't forsake their generosity in somebody's time of need. And yes, I'm fully aware that scams have helped people become wary, but again this is the internet: people will find out and it won't be pretty. RT has too much going for it to do something stupid like scam it's fans.
And this is bullshit. The internet made it hundreds of times easier to ask people for money so of course people have to be more discerning about who to give it to. Before the internet people didn't ask random strangers for money. If money needed to be raised for medical bills they would ask friends, family members, their local church for help, people who they knew and respected. They didn't just walk up to random people on the street and ask for money. The charity was in good faith because the people were actually acquainted with each other and no one needed to ask questions or push for answers because they actually knew each other and trusted the people who were asking for their money. People on the internet don't get the same trust and that's why when someone is crowd funding something like this people like to know the details of what they're giving to before they give. I really don't think it's too much to ask to know what's wrong with Monty if they're asking for donations on his behalf.

Jiffex

Dec 11, 2011
DirectorK said:
And before you start lecturing me about privacy let me tell you this. I just lost my oldest brother shortly after New Years and the worst part of it was that he'd just become a father and his daughter is not even a year old yet. His wife, my family, and his friends were very torn up about it. We respected his wife's wish for privacy yet she didn't let us in the dark about about how he died or the details of his funeral because she had no reason to. So don't be telling me about privacy when you don't know jack about the word.
I'm sorry for your loss but that isn't really the same, if you're saying she didn't leave you in the dark. You're comparing a family member to someone on the internet.

Jiffex

Dec 11, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
dameonstarflame said:
And this is bullshit. The internet made it hundreds of times easier to ask people for money so of course people have to be more discerning about who to give it to. Before the internet people didn't ask random strangers for money. If money needed to be raised for medical bills they would ask friends, family members, their local church for help, people who they knew and respected. They didn't just walk up to random people on the street and ask for money. The charity was in good faith because the people were actually acquainted with each other and no one needed to ask questions or push for answers because they actually knew each other and trusted the people who were asking for their money. People on the internet don't get the same trust and that's why when someone is crowd funding something like this people like to know the details of what they're giving to before they give. I really don't think it's too much to ask to know what's wrong with Monty if they're asking for donations on his behalf.
Well RT considers it's fans to be their friends. And if someone wants to donate money with the information that's fine, but if people don't want to donate without getting more information that's fine as well but neither side should be demanding information when "it is not known if he will recover." I personally am not donating because I don't feel they have given enough information, but I don't feel like they need to release anymore than the family wants released.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Okay guys, let's chill out. The family has requested that the details be kept private, and that should be respected. RoosterTeeth was understandably upset and worried about their friend and set up the fundraiser to get him the best care possible, but are withholding the specifics because they were asked to. Donate if you want to, don't if you don't, don't judge those who do or don't, and in the meantime just be patient. They'll release details when they're ready to.

DanteRL

Jan 14, 2010
TakerFoxx said:
Okay guys, let's chill out. The family has requested that the details be kept private, and that should be respected. RoosterTeeth was understandably upset and worried about their friend and set up the fundraiser to get him the best care possible, but are withholding the specifics because they were asked to. Donate if you want to, don't if you don't, don't judge those who do or don't, and in the meantime just be patient. They'll release details when they're ready to.
Exactly! First, this isn't "Kickstarter: Monty's life edition". They're asking for people who want to voluntarily donate money to help a co-worker, mainly because they feel the RT community trust them. Thing is, in the very page they ask for the money, they also state that no further details will be given, to respect his family. Don't get into this expecting rewards or stretch goals.

And if you think that's a shady deal and DON'T want to donate, that's your goddam given right. No one is a bad person for that!

Just hope he recovers from whatever happened, the RT team are not people to talk lightly about that stuff, and they would have no reason to throw their credibility on the line for some stupid stuff, since it's already been proven that they can ask for money and people will give them.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Baffle said:
Kolby Jack said:
That's patently untrue. They've already made us aware of the fact that he's in critical condition, it would be downright irresponsible and cruel to withhold any changes to his condition now.
So you feel that even if the family don't want that information made available to the public, for whatever reason, you should be given it anyway? I don't see what possible business it is of the general public.
On the other hand, playing the Devil's Advocate a little here, they did as the public for monetary support for his medical treatment. Are they not, by that, also at least somewhat personally involved enough to 'deserve' to be kept in the loop whether he's doing better or not? Any info on the nature of the whole affair is naturally a different thing though, and I'm not sure whether the guy who argued with you was referring to those.

In the end though it is not my concern, I mostly hope he recovers and I really don't feel the need to know more. I just hope it's not a suicide attempt, because that opens up an even bigger quagmire of problems after he (hopefully) gets out of the hospital. I doubt such a thing would rake up such insane costs though, or maybe that's just my naivete regarding America's absolutely insane medical system.

All in all, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the guy. That's a dreadfully young age to be going through something life-threatening.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
madster11 said:
Maybe if there was 'needs [x] surgery' or 'has [x] amount of hospital bills' it would be a lot more reasonable, but what point does giving such a large amount of money now serve? It's not going to help in the immediate future because unless he's at the worst hospital to have ever existed, they'll do everything they can now anyway.
It's the American health care system, you'd be suprised at how little it does to cover hospital costs.

The donation thing had already made tens of thousands before any of the twitters or videos went up talking about it, what if somebody guessed burnies password and decided to make a quick buck?
I'm guessing you mean if someone was able to hack the GoFundMe donation page, which if that's the case, I'm certain that the site has safeguards in place so that if the account/funds/whatever are compromised then people don't lose their money.

As harsh as this is going to sound, if you live in the US and are as far above the poverty line as the RT people are, what excuse do you have for a lack of health insurance? What if he has health insurance and it'll all be covered anyway, where does the $200k go?

Can't tell if i blame stupid people donating or the RT people for asking. Go from talking about fucking wi-fi connected light bulbs in their houses to asking for donations for their friends life?
The thing is, we don't know what their financials are like. Sure, some people can guess for a few of them (since they sometimes talk about the things they bought for themselves), and as said before, health insurance in the U.S. can be insane in what it does and doesn't cover. If his insurance does cover everything, then what about care after his hospital stay? Health insurance won't always cover that. And if it does, or if things turn for the worse and he passes away, then the money will highly likely be donated to charity.

And so what if some of the people from Rooster Teeth bought expensive light bulbs? Who cares what any of them bought before hand? They work hard and long as fuck, they can buy whatever they goddamn want. Their friend needs help, they all pitched in to help, and they're asking their fans to help some as well.

dameonstarflame said:
I normally don't talk on these forums, just stalk, but this is one thing I feel the need to jump into.

I hope Monty pulls through, but if the worst should happen, I wish his family and the RT crew well.

Edit: Oh, and to those ruling out medical conditions: sometimes there really are cases where it just happens suddenly. You could be just casually walking down the street and then BOOM! You're in the hospital nearly dead because of something that'd been hidden from you the entire time, so don't rule that out quite yet despite how young he is.
On here since '09 and this is your first post? Damn, you are a stalker.

saiga123

Oct 22, 2014
Monty passed away yesterday

http://roosterteeth.com/members/journal/entry.php?id=3302319

Roosterteeth said:
Our friend, inspiration and co-worker Monty Oum passed away yesterday afternoon at 4:34 PM surrounded by people who loved him very much. Ten days ago Monty suffered a severe allergic reaction during a simple medical procedure that left him in a coma. Although he fought bravely, his body was not able to recover. During his time in the hospital he was well cared for and never in pain at any time.

Monty is survived by his wife Sheena, his father Mony, his brothers Woody, Sey, Chivy and Neat, and his sisters Thea and Theary, as well as a countless number of fans and friends. We were so proud to be a part of his life and we will miss him greatly.

Your generosity during the hours after the public statement on Friday will help his family deal with the costs of his care and his passing. You made an incredible difference during a difficult time and we cannot thank you enough.

As for honoring Monty, we will do that in our own way. In lieu of flowers or gifts, we ask that you simply do something creative. Use your imagination to make the world a better place in any way that you can. If you know Monty like we do, then you know he would certainly be doing that if he were able to.

Monty was 33 years old.

We love you, Monty.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
saiga123 said:
Monty passed away yesterday

http://roosterteeth.com/members/journal/entry.php?id=3302319

Roosterteeth said:
Our friend, inspiration and co-worker Monty Oum passed away yesterday afternoon at 4:34 PM surrounded by people who loved him very much. Ten days ago Monty suffered a severe allergic reaction during a simple medical procedure that left him in a coma. Although he fought bravely, his body was not able to recover. During his time in the hospital he was well cared for and never in pain at any time.

Monty is survived by his wife Sheena, his father Mony, his brothers Woody, Sey, Chivy and Neat, and his sisters Thea and Theary, as well as a countless number of fans and friends. We were so proud to be a part of his life and we will miss him greatly.

Your generosity during the hours after the public statement on Friday will help his family deal with the costs of his care and his passing. You made an incredible difference during a difficult time and we cannot thank you enough.

As for honoring Monty, we will do that in our own way. In lieu of flowers or gifts, we ask that you simply do something creative. Use your imagination to make the world a better place in any way that you can. If you know Monty like we do, then you know he would certainly be doing that if he were able to.

Monty was 33 years old.

We love you, Monty.
A medical accident. God that just sucks so much to die so young solely through happenstance. I'll always remember how much he changed one of my favorite shows for the absolute better with his amazing talent. RIP Monty.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Abomination said:
Robot Number V said:
Saying stuff like this only contributes to the spreading of completely baseless rumors. We have no idea what happened to him, and just because the family wants privacy, that is NOT a reason to assume shitty things about Monty with no real evidence.

And I'm going to keep repeating the same thing across this thread:

Monty's family has every right to ask for money without giving more information, as long as they are clear about their terms, which they have been.

They aren't promising anything in return for the donations. The terms are clear: Your money will go to Monty and his family, and that's all you get to know. If you don't like those terms, don't donate. It's as simple as that.
I'd hardly call it baseless since we're running on probabilities and knocking out other aspects.

Drug overdose or attempted suicide are top two competitors. If it's neither of the two I'll eat my sock.

And yes, I'm under no obligation to give them anything and they have every right to request for money. Doesn't mean it can't be a topic of discussion and it especially doesn't mean that folks won't hypothesis as to the nature of the ailment.

No matter the issue I wouldn't donate because I don't know the individual from a bar of soap, I just find not revealing the cause/symptoms to be indicative of self-harm.
Well, I hope you're hungry for sock then, because they just updated their site with more information.

Because he passed away yesterday.

From their most recent update: "Ten days ago Monty suffered a severe allergic reaction during a simple medical procedure that left him in a coma. Although he fought bravely, his body was not able to recover."

So it sounds like a random, really shitty accident.

Enjoy your sock.