Rise of the Tomb Raider Review - Tomb Raider Too

Mitchell Saltzman

Mar 10, 2012
Rise of the Tomb Raider Review - Tomb Raider Too

Despite at times feeling too familiar to 2013's Tomb Raider reboot, Rise of the Tomb Raider is still one of the best AAA adventures this year.

Read Full Article

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Oh, this game is coming out tomorrow?

Who was the genius who thought this game could compete with the likes of StarCraft II and Fallout? Especially with the exclusive launch driving away even more people?

Sales of this game are gonna suck no matter how good it actually is. I don't own an Xbone and don't want one, so I guess I gotta wait for it to come out on my PS4.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
SlumlordThanatos said:
Sales of this game are gonna suck no matter how good it actually is. I don't own an Xbone and don't want one, so I guess I gotta wait for it to come out on my PS4.
It's on 360 as well, isn't it? So the sales won't just be on XB1. But yeah, wacky decision to release anywhere near Fallout 4.

I didn't read the review fully, but I looked at the concluding paragraphs/summary and summaries of a whole bunch of reviews, and it seems to be getting a very good reaction. I do have an XB1 plus the game awaiting on Xmas day, so I'll be avoiding spoilers till then.

Leon Royce

Aug 22, 2014
Rastrelly said:
Got it. same useless shite. Pass!
Well said. Tomb Raider 2013 was a joke. Follow the glowing objective marker to the hidden secret tomb please...

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Urr, secret tombs really didn't have glowing markers you know.

I for one did enjoy the previous game a lot. Even though it did have a lot of "gamey" elements I thought the presentation and atmosphere were excellent. I also never expect a franchise like Lara Croft to turn into a hardcore uber realistic survival experience. Overall the stealth gameplay was OK, locations were interesting, graphics and performance were good, game length provided good value, so count me in if it's more of that.

Still, fuck you about the exclusive release, what the hell were you people thinking?

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
now if it will be out for pc as well, this would be great. i just know i have to wait for it till some time early next year. hope not too late for it.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
As I said in my thread, it's all a conspiracy! Square wants everyone to forget this is a bullshit timed exclusive deal!

But seriously, thats the only sane thing about this launch. I would maybe get this game, but then Uncharted 4 is coming up and I still have to play the Nathan Drake Collection, so too bad, Lara, you missed your chance. Also, your voice is annoying.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
I'll wait for the better pc(if they make it right) or ps4 version next year. Stupid paid exclusives.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
The Tomb Raider reboot is one of those games I'm just baffled by. People kept gushing about how great its narrative was and how it reinvented and reinvigorated Lara Croft, but all I see is a functional shooter with a basic narrative and a milquetoast protagonist that spends the game getting knocked around like a hockey puck (then again, considering it was written by Rhianna Pratchett, I shouldn't be surprised that its narrative only goes up to "function" on the quality scale). I understand we're starved for female protagonists right now (though at one point we had a plethora of them), but I don't see why we have to act like a story doing what it's supposed to do in the first as being the same as excellent. If anything it's just an indication that are standards are way too low.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm fine with it basically being another reboot Tomb Raider, plus I'm always a sucker for a snow environment. I look forward to playing it when I can afford it as I adored Tomb Raider 2013 to the point where I got all its versions but the PS3/PS4 version.

The new health system intrigues me, how odd it is that we've went from regenerating to non-regenerating health.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
No survival system implemented? Aww, the reboot wasted that opportunity too. It seems that any criticisms from the previous game have mostly been ignored in favour of "Hurdurr...you want more same...want...here...have." Showing no growth or ambition from the developer that thought the previous game underperformed, it is baffling that they are hoping to try the same trick, hoping this time people will take the bait. Maybe they are counting on that customer expectation of "surely this will be a next-gen revolution...this one." Or maybe they are saving their marketing budget for its' PS4 release to get that thought into the consumer's head.
That said, it's alright for turning off brain and looking at pretty places while killing things and feeling good about yourself. But it feels a little bit of a waste in potential, in finance, in character, in savvy business decisions. There is an air of tragedy behind the behemoth of this well established IP that could have been avoided if certain corporations didn't feel the need to wear it as a shameless puppet to imply confidence in their wavering product sales. Happy thoughts, people! Happy thought people?