Rise of the Tomb Raider Won't Reach PS4 or PC Until 2016

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Rise of the Tomb Raider Won't Reach PS4 or PC Until 2016

Square Enix announced today that the latest installment in the Tomb Raider franchise will be available on Windows 10, Steam, and PS4 in 2016.

Shortly after it was announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, the newest upcoming entry in the Tomb Raider franchise, would be an XBox exclusive title [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136785-Rise-of-the-Tomb-Raider-Will-Be-Xbox-Exclusive], Phil Spencer, the head of Microsoft's Xbox division, clarified that it was a "timed exclusive" deal, with little information revealed as to what the time-frame would be. In a press release today, Square Enix filled in the blanks.

Rise of the Tomb Raider will be available on Windows 10 and Steam "in early 2016," the press release states. In addition Rise of the Tomb Raider will maintain console exclusivity for XBox One and XBox 360 for one year, with a PS4 version being made available during the holiday season of 2016.

"In the critically acclaimed Tomb Raider, Lara Croft survived a harrowing experience only to be discredited as part of a cover up," the synopsis reads. "Now, after uncovering an ancient mystery, Lara must explore the most treacherous and remote regions of Siberia to find the secret of immortality before a ruthless organization known as Trinity. Lara must use her wits and survival skills, form new alliances, and ultimately embrace her destiny as the Tomb Raider."

Rise of the Tomb Raider will premiere on Xbox One and Xbox 360 on November 10, 2015. Until then, you can re-enjoy the gameplay demo from E3.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well 2016 is no surprise since its launching so late in 2015, the question i want answered is when in 2016.

Also, does he mean W10 as in its W10 exclusive?

If so, might have to put this one on the backburner.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
It won't reach my PC at all. After that horrible Uncharted ripoff TR was I don't want to see this franchise :D

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I loved every moment I spent in Tomb Raider. Sure, the story was hyper forgettable and there was precious little in the way of actually raiding tombs, but the moment to moment gameplay was always fun. I can't wait to buy this one early next year.

P.S. Thanks

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
They made tomb raider reboot into a shit version of Uncharted so I'm not too bothered about the delay. Not that I'm an Uncharted fan to begin with to fair.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Sounds like the ps4 and pc will get versions with less bugs, if recent releases are any indication.

FYRF

Jul 15, 2015
You know what? I'm okay with this. I loved the first one and so long as Rise is at least as good, I don't mind waiting a little longer than others for it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I look forward to the day that limited time exclusives die. They're simply a marketing trap designed to test the patience of customers. Fuck em.

The Purple Grape

Jun 5, 2015
And nothing of value was lost. Still haven't a Tomb Raider game since Underworld. Not generic action game with generic plot #4,000,000

Khrowley

Feb 4, 2012
Annnnnnd you can go *%&# yourself Microsoft. Oh well at least this way we can hope the extra time will allow them to polish and fine-tune the PC release. Every dev must want to avoid pulling an Arkham Knight; at least I hope so.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Edit: nevermind, wrote before I read the entire post, my thoughts are now invalid.

OverEZ

Nov 12, 2011
Lots of other good games are being released in November like XCOM 2 so I should be thanking them for the extra time.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Meh. I think Xbox's Tomb Raider have to compete with Fall Out 4. So I find it pretty funny.

Considering I know a lot of people are looking forward to FO4 (myself not included) its should mean very little to majority here.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
So that means we could get as little as a 2 month wait, or as long as however long they think "Early 2016" means. Glad I don't want this for PS4 cause if I did I'd be so pissed right now.

That being said, I'm not too torn up about it. I want to play the game and I'm horribly disappointed about its timed exclusivity, but on the bright side this means I'll know if the games good or not by the time I can get it. Plus I'll be able to spend money that was earmarked for Tomb Raider on games I can actually get, like Star Fox.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
That's a lot sooner than I expected actually. I hope to be too busy with StarCraft II whenever this comes around however.

Covarr said:
I loved every moment I spent in Tomb Raider. Sure, the story was hyper forgettable and there was precious little in the way of actually raiding tombs, but the moment to moment gameplay was always fun. I can't wait to buy this one early next year.

P.S. Thanks
I feel the exact same way about it. I was enjoying myself so much that I got every little collectible before even completing the game.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=198204322

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Hhmm sooner on PC than I thought. Good for me I guess. I liked the reboot a lot.
Early 2016 sounds like first quarter to me, so around April I take it.

I just hope SE does not expect to break sales records with a XO release only... they probably do...

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
At least I will get to play it. Eventually. I'm sure I'll have other games to keep me happy for the time being.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
That game I'm only slightly interested won't reach a platform I'll play it on until after I've forgotten about it.

Great marketing decision from the guys who were "disappointed" in the sales of the reboot.