Rise of the Triad Getting a Reboot

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rise of the Triad Getting a Reboot

Scott Miller of Rise of the Triad [http://www.3drealms.com/] reboot with it.

Apogee Software was founded back in 1987 and developed a name for itself as a pioneer of the shareware distribution model, through which it published the popular Commander Keen and Duke Nukem franchises along with id Software's [http://www.idsoftware.com] breakout title Wolfenstein 3D. In 1994 the company created the 3D Realms label for its first-person games but when the genre began to dominate the videogame industry, powered by releases like Doom and Duke Nukem 3D, it was adopted as a full-time brand, while the Apogee name was set aside.

Gone and mostly forgotten, you might say, but not forever; in a wide-ranging interview with Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4112/20_years_of_evolution_scott_.php], Apogee/3D Realms co-founder Scott Miller said Apogee is on the way back, along with one or two other names that might be familiar to old-time gamers.

"About a year ago, we licensed the Apogee name to some other business people - one of them had actually worked here several years before," he said. "They're reviving the Apogee label, the Apogee name, and they're doing a Duke Nukem Trilogy of games on the DS and PSP. They're also going to reboot the Rise of the Triad franchise, plus they have some other original titles that they're going to be doing."

As for 3D Realms itself, despite all the drama surrounding the collapse of Duke Nukem Forever and the legal drama that continues to unfold as a result, Miller claimed the company is "fine," although it's no longer doing any internal development. "We have, I think at last count, 11 or 12 projects in the works. One of them is coming out next week. Another one is coming out in about six weeks. Both of those are on the iPhone," he said. "We have some major games in production still. So we're fine."

Whistler777

Nov 14, 2008
RoTT was never really up to par with other DOS shooters (such as Blood 3D), but at least this'll be a nice nostalgic gorefest.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Whistler777 said:
RoTT was never really up to par with other DOS shooters (such as Blood 3D), but at least this'll be a nice nostalgic gorefest.
Assuming its not on the Duke Nuke'm Forever timescale, of course.

CymTyr

Mar 22, 2009
Hrmm... Seems like they're focusing on iphones and portable gaming systems now... I guess that makes sense if they couldn't release DNF in a 10 year span to go with simpler coding.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
I loved RotT. Not holding my breath for a new one though. Games have changed quite a bit.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Whistler777 said:
If I'm not mistaken it was the game that introduced the double handgun, which does hold some merit.

Feb 13, 2008
Malygris said:
As for 3D Realms itself, despite all the drama surrounding the collapse of Duke Nukem Forever and the legal drama that continues to unfold as a result, Miller claimed the company is "fine," although it's no longer doing any internal development. "We have, I think at last count, 11 or 12 projects in the works. One of them is coming out next week. Another one is coming out in about six weeks. Both of those are on the iPhone," he said. "We have some major games in production still. So we're fine."
...He repeated the word 'fine' fifteen times before he was re-admitted to the asylum. His psychiatrist, Dr. Von Nukem had this to say. "What Mr. Miller seems to be suffering from is a rare case of PTSD caused by the collapse of his ten year dream. We are certain that Arkham is the best place for him though."

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Am... Am I going to be the only one to say it?

This remake had BETTER have ludicrous gibs.

I had a lot of fun with this, but to be honest I'm a tad worried about the remake as well. As Kojira ftt said, games have changed a lot. If all they do is upgrade the graphics it'll be a bit underwhelming, and if they make it like one of the more standard FPS's of modern times I fear I'd have to avoid it.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Woem said:
Whistler777 said:
If I'm not mistaken it was the game that introduced the double handgun, which does hold some merit.
it was also one of the first holiday easter egg games too, depending on what day it was, the people would be wearing different hats and costumes

it was a rather fun game with a bit of sense of humour

Mar 26, 2008
I used to love RotT, it was so off the wall and had double handguns, which upped the cool quotient. The bizarre use of springpads and rockets flying everywhere made for some entertaining deaths all around.

BonerMacTittyPants

Aug 3, 2009
Can't wait till my grandkids get to play it.

So in other words, 3D Realms has found a new source of income to finance their everlasting WoW Lan Party.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
You could probably have some zany physics related stuff in a modern version of this, but really i'll just be happy if they throw in a bunch of dopefish references and a guy in an armed wheelchair

XSportSeeker

Sep 5, 2008
Awesome news!
I mean, I don't really care for FPSs on portables (even though I do have a DS and PSP), but the single fact that people are working on new titles based on RoTT is enough for me.

It's still one of the games I had the most fun back then...
http://xspblog.com/2009/07/28/abandonware-rise-of-the-triad-rott-pc/