Rise of the Triad's Classic Editor Gets Blocky

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Rise of the Triad's Classic Editor Gets Blocky

The simple level editor includes original 1994 textures.

Everything old is new again. Sometimes, that's a lament (in the case of [a href=http://www.zubaz.com/]pants[/a]), while in others, it's a celebration. The return of Apogee's classic FPS Rise of the Triad should certainly be cause for the latter. Interceptor Entertainment's reboot aims to reintroduce modern audiences to a world before chest-high walls and brown-grey color schemes. If that's not retro enough for you, it's also releasing a point-and-click level editor that includes the original 1994 graphics.

Shortly after it launches later this month, Interceptor will release a full editor for Rise of the Triad, letting players mod it out in all its Unreal 3 Engine glory. If that's just too modern for you, it's also coming with a Classic Editor Mode, which lets players build levels using a simple drag-and-drop interface. Better yet, Classic Mode includes all the original textures, replete in their pixelated glory. It's entirely possible to recreate the original levels, but with modern features like 45 degree angles and mouselook. This pairs well with the classic sound mode, which enables the original sound effects and music. Meanwhile, you can share and download user mods and maps easily, thanks to the Steam Workshop integration.

Today, we'd call Rise of the Triad an over-the-top shooter, what with the floating platforms, lack of story, and amazing array of exploding bodies. However, back in 1994, that's just what games were. The lack of chest-high walls and grimdark story only made sense in a game that featured both god mode and dog mode power-ups. If memory serves me correctly, there were only two weapons in the game that wouldn't render enemies into fountains of gore. In my formative years, I played Rise of the Triad more than either Doom or Duke Nukem, so it's gratifying to see the game get so much attention recently.

Rise of the Triad will launch for PCs on July 31st. You can purchase it from [a href=http://www.apogeesoftware.com/products/rise-of-the-triad]the usual suspects[/a] for $15. Pre-orders also include a pack of classic Apogee shooters free.

Source: [a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WNOsfV7cCyk]Youtube[/a]

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Didn't even know ROTT was getting a remake.

I hope the enemies will still get down on their knees and pretend to surrender. "Don't shoot!" *Brrrrap!* Wahaha...tell ME not to shoot will ya...

I also hope they remember the Drunk Missile.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
"Interceptor Entertainment's reboot aims to reintroduce modern audiences to a world before chest-high walls and brown-grey color schemes."

This is a bit fun considering that all the gameplay footage we´ve seen so far are completely gray and brown... It looks nothing like the original

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
MrBaskerville said:
"Interceptor Entertainment's reboot aims to reintroduce modern audiences to a world before chest-high walls and brown-grey color schemes."

This is a bit fun considering that all the gameplay footage we´ve seen so far are completely gray and brown... It looks nothing like the original
I might have to disagree there. While the original ROTT was a very colorful game in terms of fun and wackiness, it wasn't as much so when it came to palette. Here's a screenshot from ROTT '95:

As much as I hate the color scheme of modern shooters, the only old school FPSes that featured saturated and vibrant color schemes were Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Blake Stone. ROTT, Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Redneck Rampage, etc. all featured darker colors. Of course, the less colorful backdrop is hard to notice when you're moving super-fast, shooting everything in sight, and having actual fun, rather than waiting for your health to regenerate.

OT: I've been following this game since it's announcement, and I've already pre-ordered it. Needless to say, I'm hyped. This level editor should be fun, especially for level editing amateurs such as myself.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Dfskelleton said:
MrBaskerville said:

I might have to disagree there. While the original ROTT was a very colorful game in terms of fun and wackiness, it wasn't as much so when it came to palette. Here's a screenshot from ROTT '95:

As much as I hate the color scheme of modern shooters, the only old school FPSes that featured saturated and vibrant color schemes were Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Blake Stone. ROTT, Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Redneck Rampage, etc. all featured darker colors. Of course, the less colorful backdrop is hard to notice when you're moving super-fast, shooting everything in sight, and having actual fun, rather than waiting for your health to regenerate.

OT: I've been following this game since it's announcement, and I've already pre-ordered it. Needless to say, I'm hyped. This level editor should be fun, especially for level editing amateurs such as myself.
It´s defineately not the most colorful game in the world, but compared to the remake it looks spectactular. The problem is that they have gone in a dark and gritty direction, every area is covered in darkness where the old one was bright (except for a handfuld of levels for the sake of variation). It just ends up looking like Ravens Wolfenstein more than it looks like Rott. It might be great, but so far i´m a bit dissapointed with the games direction and tone.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Very nicely done.

BTW, people who don't know about how the game will play can see from this multiplayer vid they released not too long ago.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Well, this level editor gives me some hope for the game. Still don't like the music remakes, though.

drthmik

Jul 29, 2011
It's funny that one of the few weapons that doesn't turn enemies into gore fountains instead turns enemies into charred crumbling skeletons! XD

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I don't like preordering games anymore, but this might need to happen.

I just really, really hope the multiplayer stays populated, I've been needing a good populated arena shooter for ages. (Suggestions for good things I may have missed would be lovely to tide me over, Quake Live doesn't count as it's a subscription for everything)

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
evilneko said:
Didn't even know ROTT was getting a remake.

I hope the enemies will still get down on their knees and pretend to surrender. "Don't shoot!" *Brrrrap!* Wahaha...tell ME not to shoot will ya...

I also hope they remember the Drunk Missile.
Yes to all

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
DazZ. said:
I don't like preordering games anymore, but this might need to happen.

I just really, really hope the multiplayer stays populated, I've been needing a good populated arena shooter for ages. (Suggestions for good things I may have missed would be lovely to tide me over, Quake Live doesn't count as it's a subscription for everything)
I'd agree but at $15 adn a game of this kind not being around in almost 15 years I think I'll take my chances :p

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Magmarock said:
Roxor said:
Well, this level editor gives me some hope for the game. Still don't like the music remakes, though.
Original mixes are also available
Well, I guess I'll be setting my copy to use those instead. Hope they use the GUS patches, or better still, give us a choice as to which old-school sound card we want playing them.