Risen 3: Titan Lords Teaser Trailer Pits Sword Against Demon

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Risen 3: Titan Lords Teaser Trailer Pits Sword Against Demon

Piranha Bytes and Deep Silver show off the bleak world of the third installment in the Risen franchise.

The teaser trailer released today for Risen 3: Titan Lords shows an armored warrior locked in combat with a dog-like demon. The classic European RPG from Piranha Bytes returns to the fantasy roots of the series. In classic fantasy tradition, Risen 3 follows a young warrior, stripped of his soul, fighting to stop the encroaching darkness. Player decisions will have a lasting effect on the story, as the young warrior seeks out Guardians and Mages in his quest. Risen 3 arrives for PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 in August. The game is currently available for pre-order.

Like the other Risen games before it, Risen 3: Titan Lords puts a heavy emphasis on exploration. Bjoern Pankratz, Project Lead at Piranha Bytes, says, "Like a carpenter with a hand-crafted piece of furniture, we put together the story, the characters and the landscape until it all fits and the player has the possibility to discover things all around the place. You can try out and find things that others might not. Exploration is the key to our game." Piranha Bytes previously released a series of in-game screenshots showing off the world of Risen 3.

[gallery=2368]

Piranha Bytes is the studio behind the Gothic and Risen series. The last installment in the Risen series, Risen 2: Dark Waters [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/5710-Risen-2-Dark-Waters], is a pirate-themed RPG where magical treasures must be discovered in order to stop the impending apocalypse.

Source: Deep Silver USA [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efRTlB-MTHU]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Holy shit that trailer is awful. A fight like that feels like it should be tense, some uncertainty to it, even if they just made it last half a minute longer it would actually be alright. But shortening to down to 25 seconds and god damn it just feels so poorly directed, like they're so afraid of losing anyone's attention they sped it up so much it just feels awful to watch.

That being said, I've heard nothing but mediocre/bad things about the Risen series so I'm not really surprised.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Welcome to another edition of: You will never do something as awesome as in the trailer in the actual game!

Seriously thought.. Risen 1 and 2 where bad games with horrible gameplay mechanics and a ton of bugs... yet we get a 3rd installment of the series? Who keeps financing these?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Since when did Risen 1 become terrible?

Risen 1 was basicly a new Gothic game, a lot better then the actual Gothic sequel Arcadia.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
josemlopes said:

Risen 1 was basicly a new Gothic game, a lot better then the actual Gothic sequel Arcadia.
Yeah except exceedingly clunky, unforgiving and Risen 2 is even a worse offender in that you get de-powered to the same level you were in the first game. With such ass-backwards mechanics of having to be train in everything and NO ONE giving you anything as a quest reward. As for the trailer, what happened to the GUNS? Didn't we have guns in the last game, even if they were harder to hit with than a 50lbs. baseball bat?

Risen was okay at best, but it had a TON of flaws for the most part(including forcing you into an endgame weapon and armor set that can only be played ONE WAY despite your training), Risen 2 takes all those flaws and magnifies them immensely. I don't know HOW they got funding for a third game either, but the chances of it being fun and enjoyable are very low on my radar.

Then again, Two Worlds II surprised the hell out of me and I found that game VERY enjoyable compared to the first one and even in general.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I was hoping that they'll keep the pirate theme. I liked it more than another generic fantasy setting.

Karadalis said:
Welcome to another edition of: You will never do something as awesome as in the trailer in the actual game!

Seriously thought.. Risen 1 and 2 where bad games with horrible gameplay mechanics and a ton of bugs... yet we get a 3rd installment of the series? Who keeps financing these?
They sure have flaws, but if you can look past them you can get an experience that other modern games can't offer. To be honest I haven't managed to get into the first game, but I did complete Risen 2 back when I got it in a Humble Bundle and plan to do a second playthrough soon.

As for your question - those who keep financing it are people who are looking for a certain kind of RPG that other developers won't make. I think that it's great that some developers are still trying to appeal to a small niche instead of trying to make "The Next Call of Duty".

novem

Nov 18, 2009
Karadalis said:

Risen 1 was a very good follow up to the Gothic games. Risen 2 was?well?I?m not going to defend that one.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
josemlopes said:

There was a QUEST to scrub the floor of dirt in the monestary! Had you go around and play housemaid... some epic adventure that was.

The combat system was abysmal with endless stunlocking being the best solution to anything. And the game was buggy up the bazoo.

By all accounts it was not a good game at all. The gameplay was bad, the coding was shoddy it crashed every 15 minutes and you could totaly mess up your game if the wrong npc was eaten by a monster that had a FIXED spawnpoint in the neighbourhood of said npc. (those bloody overgrown leeches)

Sure arcadia was arguably worse but that doesnt make risen a good game.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I'm surprised. I didn't think it will get another sequel. There was so much wrong with the last one. It promised us a pirate themed game and it ended up a disappointment. It was such a clumsily designed game. Had to wait for Ubisoft to make Assassin's Creed IV to get my pirate fix.

Nachtmahr

Feb 17, 2011
Risen 2 was the biggest load of shit I ever played. I can run Skyrim on ultra high, but unless I turned all the setting way down, Risen 2 crashed my computer on the first cutscene. The less said about the gameplay, the beter. I can't even express how much I despise everything about Risen 2.

I have no doubt this will be equally terrible. In fact, I hope it is, so they can stop making this crap franchise.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Wow a ton of hate going on around here.
If you don't like the Risen games, that's fine, don't play them, but don't act like their the worst of the worst.
What you think shoddy or backwards design is something that other people enjoy very much.
There's enough modern Rpgs going around for you guys, so please leave us our oldshool ones.

Risen 2 was shit though, no argument there.
And yeah that trailer is shit, too. Way too fast.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Amaror said:
Wow a ton of hate going on around here.
If you don't like the Risen games, that's fine, don't play them, but don't act like their the worst of the worst.
What you think shoddy or backwards design is something that other people enjoy very much.
There's enough modern Rpgs going around for you guys, so please leave us our oldshool ones.

Risen 2 was shit though, no argument there.
And yeah that trailer is shit, too. Way too fast.
If you dont like people criticising something you might enjoy then perhaps you should not go onto the internet.

By all standards both risen games where way below the standards of the time. The coding was shoddy, the UI was clunky, the graphics where highly outdated, the combat system was broken and otherwhise very boring, the story and characters where unremarkable and forgettable and your own character barely had any character to speak of... and ofcourse the game was just so dang boring.

You would think with the looming thread of the destruction of the friggin world you would feel some urgency... but here you are faffing about cleaning monastaries of dust and/or playing erand boy for the local populace including the bandits.. who do exactly jack squat banditry and sit around their behinds all day long.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Karadalis said:
If you dont like people criticising something you might enjoy then perhaps you should not go onto the internet.

By all standards both risen games where way below the standards of the time. The coding was shoddy, the UI was clunky, the graphics where highly outdated, the combat system was broken and otherwhise very boring, the story and characters where unremarkable and forgettable and your own character barely had any character to speak of... and ofcourse the game was just so dang boring.

You would think with the looming thread of the destruction of the friggin world you would feel some urgency... but here you are faffing about cleaning monastaries of dust and/or playing erand boy for the local populace including the bandits.. who do exactly jack squat banditry and sit around their behinds all day long.
Well i highly disaggree. I don't see any of your points being true for the first Risen game.
The Game worked just fine, no bugs or anything. The UI was pretty good and easy to use, the graphics were not mindblowing but most certainly at the level of the time. The combat system was fun and required tactical play.
Yeah the characters weren't great, but the game overall was just excellent.
Plenty to do, lots of quests to complete and land to explore.
Then again i only played the pc version, so maybe the Xbox version is as shit as you say. It would most certainly explain your criticism of UI and graphics. And it could well be that the combat didn't work well on Console. I don't know, but it was an excellent game on pc.

The second one was pretty shit though.

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
The first game had some pretty bad combat, but I thought the exploration was awesome, the way the island opened up organically as you progressed through the story. The second one had the same crappy combat but less of the fun exploration. I'll probably wait for Risen 3 to be out for a while to see if it's any good. Hopefully it'll have a demo. And hopefully they'll update the freaking combat engine. The Gothic style of games has really not aged very well.

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
Copy from FB comment:
Well, Piranha Bytes as crafted themselves a very very loyal fanbase with the first two gothic games and the first risen. Gothic 3 and Risen 2 were kind of meh (very meh to be honest), but hope dies last. These guys know how to do a good story, a world that feels alive and they made some of the best western RPGs ever (imho).
So, yeah. Also Deep Silver is more on the good side of publishing.

As for the trailer: I guess Marketing took a cutscene or a bigger trailer and shoved it out. It clearly has the feeling of beeing longer than the snip we saw.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
(Well, getting ready be burned alive)

For all i saw, heard and read about dark soul, it always looked like gothic (1+2) with more money and time in development.

Taronus

Dec 31, 2011
Hiramas said:
Copy from FB comment:
Well, Piranha Bytes as crafted themselves a very very loyal fanbase with the first two gothic games and the first risen. Gothic 3 and Risen 2 were kind of meh (very meh to be honest), but hope dies last. These guys know how to do a good story, a world that feels alive and they made some of the best western RPGs ever (imho).
So, yeah. Also Deep Silver is more on the good side of publishing.

As for the trailer: I guess Marketing took a cutscene or a bigger trailer and shoved it out. It clearly has the feeling of beeing longer than the snip we saw.
Agreed, although I loved Gothic 3, when it didn't bug out and despawned half the enemies on the world.
Being raised with old school western RPGs like Fallout and Baldur's Gate, a game having soul is more important than being flawless to me; Piranha Bytes' games have tons of it even though they are very wonky.

But that's just my opinion, you either hate these games or love them, there is no middle ground and any opinion is bound to be subjective.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I absolutely loved Gothic 1 and 2, but never played any of the Risen games. I actually recently bought Risen 1 on GOG, but didn't get around to trying it yet. Still, from what I know of this developer, it has a lot of promise.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Skeleon said:
I absolutely loved Gothic 1 and 2, but never played any of the Risen games. I actually recently bought Risen 1 on GOG, but didn't get around to trying it yet. Still, from what I know of this developer, it has a lot of promise.
I also love Gothic 1 and 2. Gothic 3 is different, but enjoyable if you play it with the latest community patch. The world is just too friggin huge, so it feels like they overstretched their capabilities and didn't have the time to fill it with as much life and depth as the first two games. There is also a lot of tough combat to wade through, hundreds of orcs to fight, which can lead to some frustrating moments. But the world is beautiful and fun to explore.

Risen 1 is much more in the spirit of the first two Gothic games. Smaller world, but more focused and more depth. Risen 2... I started playing it and it looks interesting, but you really start as a complete underdog and advancement in your abilities is so slow that I stopped playing because I felt to weak to complete quests like I wanted to. But maybe I was also too ambitious or didn't skill properly, so I'm planning on giving it another go, as the setting was quite refreshing with interesting plot and NPCs. Also, it's a hallmark of the Gothic games that they can be quite tough, and you will get into trouble if you approach things too early or in the wrong way.

I'm looking forward to Risen 3. Piranha Bytes is not scared to experiment. Sometimes it's for the worse, as in Gothic 3 and maybe Risen 2. But when they do it well, it turns into a fantastic game, like Gothic 2 and Risen 1.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
Taronus said:
Agreed, although I loved Gothic 3, when it didn't bug out and despawned half the enemies on the world.
Being raised with old school western RPGs like Fallout and Baldur's Gate, a game having soul is more important than being flawless to me; Piranha Bytes' games have tons of it even though they are very wonky.

But that's just my opinion, you either hate these games or love them, there is no middle ground and any opinion is bound to be subjective.
Loved Gothic 1&2, and even enjoyed Gothic 3, despite its many flaws, and got maybe halfway through Risen before being bored, it was ok I guess.

Btw the despawned world... I think it was a big spawnpoint and/or pathing error, I found a mountain somewhere in the southwestern part of the main continent that was absolutely covered in enemies, like hundreds of them. I think it's the respawning that was bugged, so all the respawned(no xp for killing) enemies ended up on that one mountain.

The one thing I liked about Risen 2 was that it brought back swing timing which was so important in Gothic 1, other than that I haven't played it much, it runs like arse.

Piranha Bytes really suck at optimisation.