Risk your life to defend your lovers belongings?

Mookie_Magnus

Clouded Leopard
Jan 24, 2009
This is the reason why you should always carry a bludgeon of some kind, like a nice sturdy branch of some kind. Any time I enter a park, or a hiking trail, or some place outside with trees and stuff, I always try to find a 'walking stick' just in case.

If none can be found... Avoid dark places at night. To avoid things like hoodlums, as well as things like raccoons and possums, and other creatures that carry rabies.

Testosticore

Jul 22, 2011
Lilani said:
Testosticore said:
Hahaha, guys, I know what I did was retarded and I was lucky that I left with my life. I was young, kind of arrogent and had never been in a fight before in my life. I know I had no business being there. My point that has been buried in that wall of text, is that I've been taught youre supposed to protect women and my reputation would have been damaged beyond repair otherwise. I want to know what YOU guys would do.
I think that by saying what you did was stupid, they are also implying that they would not do the same themselves. Otherwise they wouldn't be calling it stupid :p

I say screw the reputation. If the people you surround yourself with would judge you THAT harshly just for trying to stay alive, I say you need to get away from those assholes and find some better friends. You sure as hell can't improve your reputation if you're dead. The best way to have protected her was to have kept the situation calm. I'm sure you knew that, so that means you didn't do it to protect her. You did it to look like a man.

And again, she should have called the police. I mean, a thousand times over. What the fuck was wrong with her?
What I did was stupid because not because of what I did, but because I had no experience, was in poor shape and got caught up in the moment. If I actually did have some kung fu in my pocket, and I atleast got a few more licks in besides that one punch to the face, I would feel better, haha. But I felt good that she had gotten away. I didnt think I was going to win, but give her time to book it to her house and, I dont know, call the cops or something.

As to that whole reputation thing: True words, brother. But I was young. As I said, I was wholly prepared to hand of MY money, because that didnt mean much. Another person, especially one that was close with me, that was a different story.

EDIT:
Cali0602 said:
The important thing is that you got HER out of there (or provided her an opportunity to run...and not call the cops). Consequences be damned if someone is trying to take away something you like (and I LOVE money). I probably would have fought the two as well. Look at it this way, had you not fought, would you have regretted it? Would it continue to be that nagging 'what if' that lingers in the back of your mind and causes you to second guess yourself at every future turn?
No. Because you fought.
Don't have regrets, not ever.
Refreshing to see a player for the other team who doesn't insist that I'm not a man unless I fight 9 gladiators and a tiger with my bare hands purely on principle.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Risking death for things is probably the zenith of materialism. I honestly wouldn't be at all impressed by that kind of behavior, either. It's rash and dangerous. I don't want someone putting my life on the line for money, it's actually quite an offensive idea.
Mookie_Magnus said:
If none can be found... Avoid dark places at night. To avoid things like hoodlums, as well as things like raccoons and possums, and other creatures that carry rabies.
Bats are actually the animal most responsible for rabies infection in humans in the U.S.. The more you know.

luckybreak

Jul 21, 2011
It depends. How many muggers are there, do they have weapons, and do we have anything particularly valuable on us.

danintexas

Jul 30, 2010
Being I am a Texan - and I have a Texan wife we would of both pulled our guns and shot the two guys dead.

Apr 24, 2008
Ha! No.

I'm yet to have an encounter with a mugger that wasn't thwarted by my refusal to stop walking and acknowledge the request/demand...they were decidedly small time I guess.

What I will say is that you don't owe an apology for not going Jackie Chan on their asses.

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
Testosticore said:
If I actually did have some kung fu in my pocket, and I atleast got a few more licks in besides that one punch to the face, I would feel better, haha.
Or you would have pissed them off to the point where they beat you down and severed something important.

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
Girls love going to hospitals for 6 hours at midnight and being questioned by the police. Fight like their is no tomorrow!!!

Insanity72

Feb 14, 2011
2 people at once, no i would pull out my wallet, throw it behind them / to their feet and take my girl and run

If there was a single person with a gun, hand my wallet over and try to keep them from going crazy and getting a trigger finger

If there was a single person with a knife (a small one) i would judge what i do on how they behave. If they don't do anything besides demand money i'll hand it over and only take the chance to get the knife away from him if i knew it would work. But if he was getting really angry towards my girlfriend i would go batshit crazy on him and wouldn't stop until i get forced away by police.

If there was a single person who didn't seemed to be armed with anything he could whip out in a moments notice i would defend myself / girlfriend.

But if ANYONE touched my girlfriend in any harmful way, i would go full on bloodlust crazy, i would have no care for what bones of theirs i broke or what happened to them. NO ONE hurts my girlfriend and gets away with it.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
Testosticore said:
Oh and she didnt call the cops either.
Your girlfriend was a cowardly, selfish *****. Your bizarre brand of heroism suggests you deserve better anyway.

OT: As it happens, I do have fighting experience. But even then I'd surrender my money if somebody(s) came at me with a knife, a gun or even a particularly menacing air. I don't think I'd do what you did. Props though: it was a ridiculous idea, but it took balls.

Mugging makes me angry. Very angry. Same with assault, murder, rape and pretty much all violent crimes[footnote]Although even some of the non-violent ones get me all riled up[/footnote]. It makes me despair that I'm not allowed to carry something with which to defend myself, when everyone knows that people who will actually use them to make the world a worse place to live are going to get them regardless.

It's batshit insane, and I'm not really very happy that I live in a country that effectively protects criminals. But I don't know what, if anything, I can do about it.

danintexas said:
Being I am a Texan - and I have a Texan wife we would of both pulled our guns and shot the two guys dead.
This is the sort of cowboy justice that, weirdly, I find myself yearning for.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
This is why I carry a knife on me and usually wear boots when going out at night. And even though I'd be the girl in this scenario I would have fought.

khantron

Jul 10, 2010
Just hand over the wallet. If you fight back you're at least going to get damaged, have to go to to the hospital, and hospitals' copays are more than the average person carries in their wallet. If anyone is good at street fighting it's criminals. If anyone is likely to be armed and ready to use their arms without hesitating it's criminals.

This is speaking as someone who may have been mugged. I've got no recollection of the event, but dealing with the hospital is a pain, and head trauma is very scary. It also leaves you open to more serious effects if another incident is sustained.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Id wear two boot knifes that are hidden at first (mabey a gun to just keep safe), if they try to harm the both of us or steal our stuff I would consider going for a injure situation (Try to keep them down with non-lethal hits), but if I looks like they are going to kill you, go all out, its kill or be killed.

But she should of called the cops and stayed with you at least, or hide and then stay at your side.

But are we allowed to even carry knifes/ swords or guns for our own protection in Western Australia.

We should, a sword would do for me.

BringBackBuck

Apr 1, 2009
Testosticore said:
snipped for brevity
Out of interest, did the relationship work out? it's a hell of a first date story...

OT: I am big, strong, and can throw a punch (with my eyes open even), but I would not do what you did. Money and stuff are just, well, money and stuff. Certainly not worth dying in a park after being stabbed by a junkie over 14 dollars and a 3 year old cellphone.

Inuprince

Aug 12, 2008
Testosticore said:
Your story here.
I loved the style of your story it was an enjoyable read for me despite the unfortunate ending, I am also curious how things did go with the girl after that?
Also did she give a damn good reason for not calling the police - I mean I can understand that she ran home - but if she was home safe, the next thing she should have been doing is calling for somekind of help and the police ... Maybe it was just the fear in her, but still seems like a very ungrateful person, especially after you stood up for her...

OT : I really don't know what I would do, there is no good answer I suppose, the outcome can be so unpredictable - I mean if there are more of them, then it's better to give them what they want, but hey - what if in the end, they do stab you just for the fun of it, I'm not meaning something lethal, just to mess with you, or cause you pain, you can never know.
If it is only one guy maybe I would try to do some sort of trick, like the OP, like throw my wallet suddenly at his face, then attack suddenly, I carry around a pair of good metal scissors actually next to them LOL.
But perhaps even these situations are dangerous, because you never know what happens, and if the mugger was previously unarmed and gets hold of your choice of self-defense tool, then you are in a worse situation then before. Perhaps if you do some sort of trick, rather then fight back, just try to get away...

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Testosticore said:
The question is, if your lover was being robbed and you were hopelessly out numbered, what would you do? Would you comply, and apologize later? or would you defend them?
Nothing to apologise for, no possessions are worth more than either of your lives. Appreciable sentiment to defend your lady-friend but she would have respected you just fine for calmly defusing the situation.

Unless you're in the habit of walking around with significant quantities of cash, an inexpensive but uninsured phone or some vital, world-saving McGuffin - possession are just that. Any cards stolen can be cancelled before they can do anything with them and most phone insurance (in the UK at least) will pay out easily as long as a police report is filed.

If physical violence was threatened against my wife though, that's a different matter entirely.

Alexias_Sandar

Nov 8, 2010
Calculate the odds. Do you know what you're doing? Can you handle the situation? If no, yield. If yes? Do so. If you don't know? Assume you can't. Also, remember, even winning a fight, you can come out of it quite injured. Also? Can you prevent the other person from being injured or used as a human shield or hostage against you?

Also, do you have the will to strike not just once, but UNTIL YOUR FOES STOP? Swinging your fist once and actually beating a foe into unconsciousness or death are very different things. It takes a significant act of will to take the step to actually maim or kill someone. If you don't have that in you, don't start. You'll only make things worse.

This is spoken as someone with knife scars...who won their fights. However, I was trained, and prepared mentally...and still came out with scars. If you aren't, don't do something stupid.

I highly recommend that EVERYONE receive at least some self defense training...including in when to fight, when to run, and when to yield.