Road House Almost Made it to Consoles

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Road House Almost Made it to Consoles

The 1989 movie starring Patrick Swayze as a bouncer was planned for the videogame treatment.

Via an extremely unlikely source, it has been revealed that an extremely unlikely game may have been in development. A story on Road House [http://www.playboy.com/articles/the-man-who-conned-the-pentagon-dennis-montgomery/index.html?page=2] videogame.

Road House was a movie released in 1989 that starred Patrick Swayze as the bouncer above all others, who could straighten out even the toughest of foes with a lethal spin-kick. I must admit, I've never seen the movie, and all I know of Road House is what Family Guy told me in a recent episode. While video links to this knowledge will be inevitably be taken down, here's one anyway [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIrDObec9Jw]. The moral of the movie is evidently that a spin-kick can solve everything.

According to this video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfQnf_q4AvU] of the final fight in the movie, this appears to be true. Patrick Swayze does spin kicks, and saves the day. I don't see what else is needed to build a videogame around.

It's just as likely that Road House was never planned to be a videogame either. Montgomery was a scam artist, and once told hire Sloan Venables, video game designer for Ted Nugent Wild Hunting Adventure, that he was abducted by a UFO, so he may have been somewhat loopy as well. We can only hope that the Road House videogame rights are still floating around and will make their way into capable hands someday. There's no way that kicking ass in a bar doing spin-kick after spin-kick wouldn't be game of the century.

On second thought, a Road House game would suck.

Via: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5434701/playboy-teases-us-with-the-ultimate-coulda+been-game]

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Dont mess with him man, cant you read the tag line?

"and Loves like there is no tomorrow"

Roadhouse!

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
Pipotchi said:

Roadhouse!
I was actually more interested by the blatant Dirty Dancing refrence below the title.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
stonethered said:
Pipotchi said:

Roadhouse!
I was actually more interested by the blatant Dirty Dancing refrence below the title.
They must sell the movie in some way. It's good that this came out after, or the tagline to Dirty Dancing could be "I used to fuck girls like that in prison"

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
HUBILUB said:
stonethered said:
Pipotchi said:

Roadhouse!
They must sell the movie in some way. It's good that this came out after, or the tagline to Dirty Dancing could be "I used to fuck girls like that in prison"
Oh no you di'nt!

Suddenly putting baby in the corner takes on a dark edge

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
OK, I really like Road House, it was a great 80's action movie, but I don't know how it would play out as a game. But then again, Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story was made into a game. It wasn't good though.

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
Come on man!!! Road House kicks ass, one of the bad guys drives a kick ass monster truck around and there is a blind guitar player in the bar's band!!! You have to see that movie.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I am so glad that didnt happen...film was bad enough but to actually play a game...and possibly be 'him' ...*shudders*

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
whycantibelinus said:
Come on man!!! Road House kicks ass, one of the bad guys drives a kick ass monster truck around and there is a blind guitar player in the bar's band!!! You have to see that movie.
his name was Jeff Healey, he also died recently and he was an awesome Canadian guitarist, so it makes it kinda spooky both of them died so close together

Noone From Nowhere

Feb 20, 2009
If 'The Chronicles of Riddick' could be made into a good game then I have faith that if a non-scam artist game company were to handle the project that a decent RoadHouse game could be made.
The crew that was working on Duke Nukem Forever would be right out, then.