Robert Orci No Longer Scripting The Amazing Spider-Man 3

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Robert Orci No Longer Scripting The Amazing Spider-Man 3

Robert Orci, who helped write the first two entries in The Amazing Spider-Man movies is no longer "involved" with the franchise, and says he's unaware what Sony has planned for the movie series.

While we reported last month that Shailene Woodley won't be returning as Mary Jane in The Amazing Spider-Man 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135423-Shailene-Woodley-Not-Returning-as-Mary-Jane-in-Amazing-Spider-Man-3], it seems she's not the only one not coming back for Spidey's third film romp. Robert Orci, who wrote the screenplay for The Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2, alongside long-time collaborator Alex Kurtzman and Jeff Pinkner, has revealed that not only is he not writing The Amazing Spider-Man 3, but also adds that he doesn't even know what Sony has planned for the Spider-Man movie franchise.

I don't know what their plans are for that franchise...I don't ever want to say never, but we have to figure out what their scheduling is in terms of when they want each movie. I've read probably as much as anyone else. There's a love for the Sinister Six, the idea of Venom -- there's an idea of Spider-Man's going to be one of these characters that's part of our business. He's such a popular character. Spider-Man's not going to go away any time soon. When it all happens and how and all that has yet to be determined.

For now, Orci is focusing on Star Trek 3, which he's expected to direct, while Kurtzman is set to direct the Venom spin-off film for Sony, while still actively attached to The Amazing Spider-Man movie franchise. It's currently unknown what the actual timeline is for Sony's Spider-Man universe films, with both Venom and the Sinister Six set to have their own full-fledged movies.

Anyone concerned by this bit of news or is it for the better? Whom do you think would be a good replacement for Orci to help shape Sony's Spider-Man movie universe?

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/11/roberto-orci-off-the-amazing-spider-man-franchise-no-clear-timeline-for-tasm-3-venom-or-sinister-six]

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Just please stop Sony, please. >_<

This poor franchise...it was battered to death by the end of the ASM, nevermind the second one. We don't want 6 of them.

Rag Doll

Aug 16, 2008
Things that can replace for Robert Orci as a writer:

-Todd Mcfarlane
- Post-90's George Lucas.
-Stephanie Meyer
-The Monopoly man.
-A Director. (it's just dialogue, how hard can it be?)
-Auto-correct.
-A Government concpiracy enthusiast. (oh wait...)
-A toy bird set up to repeatedly press Y
-1000 Monkeys with typewriters (Since we don't have infinite time, just grab a couple of hundred pages at deadline)

Rag Doll

Aug 16, 2008

-Todd Mcfarlane
-Stephanie Meyer
-The Monopoly man.
-Auto-correct.
-1000 Monkeys with typewriters (Since we don't have infinite time, just grab a couple of hundred pages at deadline)

chaser5000

Sep 11, 2012
So basically you're telling me I might be interested in ASM 3.

I don't envy who ever has to try an unfuck this clusterfuck of a franchise though.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
chaser5000 said:

I don't envy who ever has to try an unfuck this clusterfuck of a franchise though.
I think they should just scrap the current iteration and go full on crazy with one of the alternate universes one, like killing off Peter Parker and setting up Miles Morales [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_(Miles_Morales)] with "Amazing" replaced with "Ultimate." Or the Spiderman Noir version that was mildly interesting at certain points. They might even negotiate the rights to use 1602 or the 2099 versions.

If all else fails, there's always outsourcing to Bollywood [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_India].

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Oh man I was all excited for him leaving but than I learn that not only is he writing Star Trek 3 but he's directing... so sad. Star Trek one day you'll get JJ Abrahms bullshit off you and become the Star Trek we loved.

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
Is this still a gaming site?

The International AND EVO going on, and there's no coverage.

But every little piece of info regarding any movie? They've got it!

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Maybe if people stop seeing Spiderman movies, Sony will eventually deem the franchise unprofitable and abandon the IP back to Marvel/Disney.

I guess they could also just shoehorn in pretty actors and robotic rhinos and people will go see it anyways.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
softclocks said:
Is this still a gaming site?

The International AND EVO going on, and there's no coverage.

But every little piece of info regarding any movie? They've got it!
The site was never a dedicated videogame website. It covers any geek/nerd escapism. Board Games, Video games, movies, tv and even table top and than it goes and dips it toes into theory of making entertainment Critical Intel and such.

They should cover EVO but than again they don't cover the more popular League of Legends world cup either till after its over so its no suprise.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Venom's getting his own film... could result in a Carnage, a watered down, PG13 Carnage... this is probably gonna suck.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Rag Doll said:

-Todd Mcfarlane
-Stephanie Meyer
-The Monopoly man.
-Auto-correct.
*Applause*

Heartily agree with you on that one. Orci's one of those people, along with his regular partner Kurtzman and, of course, David Goyer, who I simply cannot figure out why people keep hiring them. Take a look at his filmography and there's nothing there with a remotely compelling screenplay: the best film on the list (apart from Watchmen, where he only polished the script) is Star Trek, and that was hardly a triumph of narrative.

Seriously, Hollywood, stop hiring these people.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
chaser5000 said:
Scorpid said:
Star Trek one day you'll get JJ Abrahms bullshit off you and become the Star Trek we loved.
I'm not sure which is less likely.

ASM is a major franchise, and they're probably not going to rock the boat with ASM3. In fact, if Sony was willing to overrule Raimi, they probably won't have an issue not approving of a script from anyone they put on 3.

Star Trek is....well, Star Trek is funny to me. People have been bitching about how it's gone downhill since the first spin-off (And I wouldn't be surprised to find out there were vitriolic typewritten letters about Phase 2 back in the day). I know it's become popular to blame all of Trek's wrongs on Abrams, but before that, there was Enterprise and Nemesis. Before that, there was any of the other TNG movies and Voyager. Even some people thought Deep Space 9 was an abomination. Before that, just about every TOS movie except 2.

Though maybe you personally loved everything up until Abrams took the wheel, but I sincerely doubt it. And I doubt you speak for much of anyone on that front, considering how hated the previous attempts to do Trek were.

Absolutionis said:
Maybe if people stop seeing Spiderman movies, Sony will eventually deem the franchise unprofitable and abandon the IP back to Marvel/Disney.

I guess they could also just shoehorn in pretty actors and robotic rhinos and people will go see it anyways.
Or, you know, just tossing out crazy theories here, maybe people like the movies?

chaser5000

Sep 11, 2012
The Gentleman said:
chaser5000 said:

I think they should just scrap the current iteration and go full on crazy with one of the alternate universes one, like killing off Peter Parker and setting up Miles Morales [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_(Miles_Morales)] with "Amazing" replaced with "Ultimate." Or the Spiderman Noir version that was mildly interesting at certain points. They might even negotiate the rights to use 1602 or the 2099 versions.

If all else fails, there's always outsourcing to Bollywood [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_India].
They aren't going to scrap ASM they've got sinister 6, Venom, ASM 3 planned and with how much they've already spent on the first two they're in too deep at this point. All they can do is keep digging and hope they hit oil at some point.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Maybe with one writer gone, the next movie won't blow as bad as the first 2. I doubt that, though.
Absolutionis said:

I wish Marvel would buy it back, but this is pretty much all Sony has got right now. Disney would have to practically pay to get Sony Pictures out of debt or the super hero movie bubble would have to pop before Sony would release their death grip on Spidey.

Fox still somehow has Fantastic Four despite making 2 craptastic films. We can only hope the third either was made by people with real talent and care for the IP or it bombs so bad Fox just concentrates on X-men.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
chaser5000 said:
The Gentleman said:
chaser5000 said:

They aren't going to scrap ASM they've got sinister 6, Venom, ASM 3 planned and with how much they've already spent on the first two they're in too deep at this point. All they can do is keep digging and hope they hit oil at some point.
Well... it worked for the Fast and the Furious franchise, kind of. One can only hope it might work with this one.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Rag Doll said:

-Todd Mcfarlane
-Stephanie Meyer
-The Monopoly man.
-Auto-correct.
XD I'd say "no" to the first three but the rest look qualified if you compare their writing skills to Robert Orci.

Although, I'm pretty sure at least one out of the thousand monkeys on typewriters has a higher IQ and greater grasp of the material than Orci ever did.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Oh please, Hackywood reigns the cinemas. Like Orci's departure means anything.

It's not like he would be hard to replace; his work is like an overripe watermelon; explosive for a brief moment, but a total mess after.

Jeyl

Aug 10, 2010
"Robert Orci, who helped write the first two entries in The Amazing Spider-Man movies"

Incorrect. Just the second one.