Roberto Orci to Produce Power Rangers Reboot

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Roberto Orci to Produce Power Rangers Reboot

Will draft new story for the film with X-Men: First Class co-writers

Roberto Orci, the controversial writer and producer most famously associated with the Transformers and Star Trek reboots (alongside former partner Alex Kurtzman) has joined the production of Lionsgate's new Power Rangers movie.

Orci will reportedly help to devise the film's story, along with Fringe screenwriters Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz, best known for an early draft of X-Men: First Class and Agent Cody Banks. Lionsgate has teamed on the production with Saban Brands, the rights-holding company of Rangers mastermind Haim Saban, who created the series (by combining footage from Japanese action shows with new American footage) back in the 1990s.

The original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers involved a group of "teenagers with attitude" who were drafted by an ancient alien being to become a superhero team who utilized martial-arts, futuristic weaponry and giant robot dinosaurs to combat an alien invasion by sorceress Rita Repulsa. The series has been running for 20 seasons since with multiple new casts and scenarios forming a loose continuity that includes time travel and outer-space adventures. It is not known whether the new film will be based on any of the existing series or be an entirely new iteration.

Source: THR [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/power-rangers-movie-enlists-x-718684]

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
You know what? I hope that Orci continues to get jobs and continues writing, merely because that gives me hope that, if his dross and drivel can make money, why can't mine!?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I'm a life long fan of the franchise, and all I can say is: Fuck you Lionsgate, this is all on you. I hope the Hobbit trilogy fails to save you from that 5 billion dept you have, only out of spite for this which has not even produced results yet.

First Transformers, then Star Trek, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a hand in Stargate: the reboot no one asked for or wanted. Is there any franchise which isn't currently making money head over heels which is safe anymore?

chaser5000

Sep 11, 2012
I would get upset but the Power Rsngers reboot was going to happen anyway, and I doubt Orci can really make it much worse.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Gxas said:
You know what? I hope that Orci continues to get jobs and continues writing, merely because that gives me hope that, if his dross and drivel can make money, why can't mine!?
Because it's about what will sell. his stuff is commercial, yours may not be. Though I keep telling myself the same about Stephanie Meyers.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Zontar said:
I'm a life long fan of the franchise, and all I can say is: Fuck you Lionsgate, this is all on you. I hope the Hobbit trilogy fails to save you from that 5 billion dept you have, only out of spite for this which has not even produced results yet.

First Transformers, then Star Trek, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a hand in Stargate: the reboot no one asked for or wanted. Is there any franchise which isn't currently making money head over heels which is safe anymore?
The Hobbit trilogy is by Warner Bros, Lionsgate is a separate company.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
They are the distributed, not the maker.

I was mistake though, it's New Lion Cinema which is 5 billion in the toiler and needs the movies to work to survive.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
This is not good news.

Well, let's see... what area of my childhood has Hollywood not desecrated... Power Rangers, Transformers, Ninja Turtles, He-Man, G.I. Joe...

... Geez, I dread the inevitable Captain Planet gritty reboot.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Great job hollywood, of all the guys to pick you pick the guy that ruined both Star Trek and Transformers. An impressive level of stupid as always.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Are you done, hollywood? What are you going to ruin next for me. Rollie Pollie Ollie and Big Blue Bear from playhouse disney?

I mean, you already gave one transformers guy a live action CGI version of dumbo. Do you just hate me? The old movies will always be there, but the idea they won't be tainted by the new CGI version is false because now the imagery is there that even when you watch the old movie you'll end up being reminded of the new shit.

And now this? Power Rangers isn't shakespeare, but neither was transformers and he managed to fuck that up too.

Is nothing sacred? Will I one day live to see a gritty last starfighter reboot? Shit, man, I hope not.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Trishbot said:
This is not good news.

Well, let's see... what area of my childhood has Hollywood not desecrated... Power Rangers, Transformers, Ninja Turtles, He-Man, G.I. Joe...

Starring Wheeler as the main character, no longer ginger and played by Channing Tatum.

With Brad Pitt as Captain Planet and Angelina Jolie as Gaia.

Then they'll get Bryan Cranston to play Looten Plunder and Jeff Goldbloom as well as Meg Ryan to actually play Verminous Skumm and Docter Blight in a vain attempt to impress the online crowd.

Ma-ti's played by a Asian kid, no one cares apparently because as long as they're foreign they're some how mystically wise.

50 MIL BOX OFFICE OPENING WEEKEND, 5 STARS IN EMPIRE, SEQUEL UNDERWAY, ALL HOPE IS LOST!

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
LazyAza said:
Great job hollywood, of all the guys to pick you pick the guy that ruined both Star Trek and Transformers. An impressive level of stupid as always.
Hollywood doesn't think like normal people. For reasons we can only begin to guess at, both Orci's and Kurtzman's shocking excuses for scripts print money. As far as Hollywood is concerned, that makes them the top men for the job.

On the other hand, this is great news for aspiring screen writers. You can literally write any sort of trash without even a semblance of a coherent plot, and turn it into a million-dollar movie.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Trishbot said:
Oh, that's been done already. And to be fair, Don Cheadle made an exceptionally good Captain Planet.

<youtube=TwJaELXadKo&list=PLz1Nc19FlhTGa-kUZyJcYBquGG2bTcXlJ>

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
I'm still wondering why they're bothering, the series is still going strong right now.

Although it does make sense if this leads into Dino Charge because, you know, dinosaurs 'n' shit.

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
I liked the Star Trek movies though now people point it out both Transformers and Star Trek did have corrupt governments in them so I can't ignore that. At the same time that does not meant Power Rangers will be bad. The actual movie will probably be nothing amazing but also nothing terrible. There will be a group of teens, they will have slightly different personalities, they will get their powers and they will fight Zed or Rita or someone new. They will probably tie their origins together in some way but then again Power Rangers have done that a few times too, family descendants, parents who all worked at the same lab, child of magic witch.
Also gritty stuff has been in Rangers before, lots of seasons had a character who walked in the darkness in some way, the original series Green Ranger was darker than the others.
So I think we just need to wait and see, hate the guy if you want but maybe this will be the film where his writing works, I am sure in order to sell toys they will not make the film too dark.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
The writers of X-Men: First Class are working on Power Rangers? That's good!

Robert Orci, Hollywood's working class whore/Douche-bag poser of all things geek and nostalgia is attached as main story writer and exec producer... That's bad!

Doesn't this worthless cum-dumpster of a human being have enough to do already? Granted, he's no longer attached to Amazing Spider-Man (possibly because this film series may be on the fast track to the grave) but he's gonna put his dick into Star Trek for a 3rd time as its director (ICEBERG DEAD AHEAD!!). Couldn't Lionsgate and Saban give him something better to do like chase after a tennis ball tossed into oncoming traffic?

If this ass-wipe is headed to SDCC, I implore all of those who are attending and who have suffered from his violation of geek culture to rise up and beat the living shit out of him. Send a message to Hollywood that we will not tolerate anymore hacks who don't know jack and/or shit about the properties they pretend to know about.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Gxas said:
Because it's about what will sell. his stuff is commercial, yours may not be. Though I keep telling myself the same about Stephanie Meyers.
Hey, I can write what amounts to 80's nostalgia-property fanfiction!