Robin's Arkham City Look Inspired By Cage Fighters

mkg

Feb 24, 2009
Droppa Deuce said:
Joshimodo said:
Cowabungaa said:
'Grimdark gritty bullshit', you say, haven't you played the first game and seen the gameplay footage of Arkham City? What did you except, a game-version of the 60's Batman?

Thing is, the original Robin would stick out as a sore, festering, pulsating thumb in the dark, and pretty gothic style of these Batman games. Hell I hate that bright green and yellow look of his in any Batman related product except the 60's campy Batman show.

Like, you see the angry Batman brooding on a gargoyle in the rain...and suddenly some freakin' kid dressed as a clown comes along. It was especially bad in The Dark Knight Returns. This version though at least fits with the Batman himself. Though the cape needs some work there. And a cage fighter? Lolwut?
Did I say I wanted the original Robin? No. What I want is a less angsty, ridiculous looking design. Everything about that design screams "darker and edgier! Woooh!" Apart from the name, what links to Robin does that design have? It just looks like a generic musclebound thug with a coloured SWAT uniform.

As for colours, the Joker has contrasting colours, but the muted saturation works fine.

This is how Robin should look, with the Arkham Asylum/City aesthetic applied.

Even THIS looks better:
AAAAAAhahahahahahahhaa!

THIS is the Robin which I find laughable. NO DISGUISE AND ZERO THREAT FACTOR.

If this bro jumped in front of a few bodybuilding bank robbers, they'd tear his ass up.

Anyway, like i said, Rocksteady have the right vision; which is why they've made the most successful Batman game(s) of the franchise.

For the first time in my 27 years I actually have some respect for the Robin character.

The guys at Rocksteady don't mess about, this is awesome. I agree that some messy black hair would be cool, but hair is free and can grow back at any time.

Whatever happens after Nolan is finished with the franchise the creative brahs at Rocksteady should be brought on track to carry it on.

Maybe a HBO TV series.

I'm getting pumped
I think the purpose of Robin is to contrast Batman. Batman is the warrior tank, robin is the subtlety rogue. Batman is quiet and focused, robin is chatty and distracting. Batman takes the mission deadly serious, robin can add some levity to the situation because he has fun with it. That is why he's a recurring character. Which is what's interesting about the current dick grayson batman/damian wayne robin is that they went for a role reversal and it kind of works.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Valagetti said:
But he has a hood, ahhh I can't make a joke out of that.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I like it! Definitely seems to fit the personality that could keep it together around another borderline sociopath like Batman.

Now, of course, comes the fanboyish question of which Robin this is supposed to be... his background sounds like Jason Todd, but no one likes that guy so it'll probably be Dick Grayson... although Barbara Gordon is Oracle at this point, so it could be Tim Drake.... hmmm

I also have to admit that, like most pre-order bonuses, this will eventually come out as its own standalone DLC for those who did not pre-order, this seems like one that I can't really wait around for it to go "public" so to speak... I may have to pre-order once again... it's been awhile.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Valagetti said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Holy crap. They performed the impossible: They created a cool-looking Robin.
Valagetti said:
I only thing that puts me off is this gadget... a stick?
The staff actually makes sense when you take into account his upbringing as an acrobat. Good not only as a weapon, but for keeping balance during perilous walks across narrow surfaces.

Really ought to be longer, though, unless it's a modern collapsible type.
Yes why isn't it collapsible? And have serveral other features, like electric tazers or graplling hooks? Batman has a cape and I'm pretty sure that would screw his balance, they need to stop making Robin so lame, make him equally badass and likeable as Batman. And people will stop mocking them as a gay couple.
I guess people don't really know how to use a "stick" as a weapon.

Debatra

Kaedanis Pyran
Sep 6, 2008
Hero in a half shell said:
Valagetti said:
As if I haven't contributed to this forum enough, the length of your cape measures how badass you are! Batman has a cape that most likely doubles a Gazebo, Supermans can be re-used a persian rug. While Robins can be re-disposed as a tea towel.
They did this on purpose, so to not make him too badass. But he has a hood, ahhh I can't make a joke out of that.
I feel obliged to add that Aquaman doesn't even have a cape.

Also making Robin bald, maybe it's just the culture of skinheads in the UK, but thats a pretty weird major change, and I don't know if I would like it.

I think the bowstaff is pretty cool though. I hope they make him talk like robin from the Shat-bat era. "Holy petunias Batman!"
Yep. Aquaman can't do shit. [http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/oshgfp_resize.jpg]

Get that guy a waterproof cape, NOW!

Debatra

Kaedanis Pyran
Sep 6, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:
I'm digging everything about the redesign except for the hood.

Personally, I've always really hated the "immovable hoods" in videogames, especially when they're used to hide the character's face. In real life they're just way too ineffective. Have you ever actually seen someone sprinting with a hood on their head? No, because the damn thing flies off every time. If they wanted to cover his head they could have gone with a full face mask instead.

Honestly though, I liked original design they were going to use more:

But... your preferred is just this one in black and white. Loof at the B/W's head. There's a hood there.