Robin's Arkham City Look Inspired By Cage Fighters

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Robin's Arkham City Look Inspired By Cage Fighters

Robin's new character design looks pretty intense, and it turns out that the character was given a pretty hardcore background to match the look.

Not too long ago, developer Rocksteady Studios confirmed that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111180-Rocksteady-Unveils-Arkham-Citys-Robin>the Dark Knight would have his sidekick helping him out in <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-City-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JAVK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309987686&sr=8-2>Arkham City. The character's design was pretty different from what comic fans were used to, and it turns out that the overall look was inspired by how cage fighters tend to appear.

Kan Muftic, one of the game's concept artists, recently explained in the game's official forums (via Sarah Wellock, the company's European Community Manager) about what went into the character's design:

We wanted to create a Robin that players would identify as a contemporary character and move away from the traditional "Boy Wonder" image that most people know. Our vision of Robin is the one of a troubled young individual that is calm and introverted at times but very dangerous and aggressive if provoked. The shaved head is inspired by cage fighters, because we thought that Robin might be doing that in his spare time to keep him on his toes. Still, we kept all the classic trademarks of Robin's appearance, such as the red and yellow colors of his outfit, the cape and the mask.

We really hope that people will discover our Robin as one of their new favorite characters in the Batman universe. He is back and he means business.

Muftic also provided this original piece of concept art for the character. The ideas behind this revamp are certainly interesting and demonstrate a lot of consideration. The character has always been fascinating when he's depicted as an angry badass.

Arkham City is due out October 18th. Robin will be <a href=http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=batman+arkham+city&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960>exclusive to pre-orders of the game that are sold at Best Buy stores.

Source: Siliconera

Kazedarkwind

Inner Working Reviewer
Nov 18, 2009
Finally, a Robin that acts as badass as the original cartoon and now actually looks it.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Its not that bad, I'd seriously like to see peoples sketches of a modern Robin, to whom anyone critises this. I only thing that puts me off is this gadget... a stick? Hopefully whatevers in his ultility belt better compenstate for that. Thats the problem with Robin, they always make him out to be so... shit, just so Batman will look badass, you don't need to do this over n' over.

DragynFyre

Apr 22, 2011
Totally badass. Can't wait to see him in action.

But the fanboy inside of me is wanting him to have his classic, slicked back, spikey hair. I can;t even imagine him bald ._.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Holy crap. They performed the impossible: They created a cool-looking Robin.
Valagetti said:
I only thing that puts me off is this gadget... a stick?
The staff actually makes sense when you take into account his upbringing as an acrobat. Good not only as a weapon, but for keeping balance during perilous walks across narrow surfaces.

Really ought to be longer, though, unless it's a modern collapsible type.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
See, now THIS is how you do 'dark and gritty' properly; take note, everyone else planning on rebooting something classic.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
Holy Amazing Make-Over Batman!

*Cough* Anyway...It looks great this new look...Tempted to -- Oh wait...No best buys anywhere near where I live...Typical...Oh well.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:
Valagetti said:
The staff actually makes sense when you take into account his upbringing as an acrobat. Good not only as a weapon, but for keeping balance during perilous walks across narrow surfaces.

That was Dick Grayson. Tim Drake wasn't raised as an acrobat.

Valagetti

Aug 20, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:
Valagetti said:

Yes why isn't it collapsible? And have serveral other features, like electric tazers or graplling hooks? Batman has a cape and I'm pretty sure that would screw his balance, they need to stop making Robin so lame, make him equally badass and likeable as Batman. And people will stop mocking them as a gay couple.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
One complaint: can that cape be extended a bit or just removed altogether? It doesn't look right as is.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
I like it however I wish it wasn't a best buy exclusive. The creative team behind this and the previous Arkhamn had my money the second they announced they were going to release another game. Batman TAS will always be my Batman of choice.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
vansau said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Valagetti said:

That was Dick Grayson. Tim Drake wasn't raised as an acrobat.
Ahh. I stand (well, sit, actually) corrected!

Valagetti

Aug 20, 2010
Lord Beautiful said:
One complaint: can that cape be extended a bit or just removed altogether? It doesn't look right as is.
As if I haven't contributed to this forum enough, the length of your cape measures how badass you are! Batman has a cape that most likely doubles a Gazebo, Supermans can be re-used a persian rug. While Robins can be re-disposed as a tea towel.
They did this on purpose, so to not make him too badass. But he has a hood, ahhh I can't make a joke out of that.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
If I had to choose a Robin for comparison, I'd say this reminds me more of Jason Todd than any of the others.

Saying that, I'll have to wait until the game is out to see if this one is at all murderous or uses excessive force like Jason Todd.

Green Ninja

Aug 10, 2009
Valagetti said:
... the length of your cape measures how badass you are! Batman has a cape that most likely doubles a Gazebo, Supermans can be re-used a persian rug. While Robins can be re-disposed as a tea towel.
They did this on purpose, so to not make him too badass. But he has a hood, ahhh I can't make a joke out of that.
What about Spawn? xD

And I don't believe he'll stay an best buy pre-order exclusive. We'll probably see him as regular DLC a month or 2 after the release, just like the Crime Alley maps in AA or the Mortal Kombat skins.

WizardArtist

Jul 3, 2011
I like it, but I'm wondering which Robin is depicted. Also the cape is a little short and the staff should be longer and collapsible.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks that design looks pretty bad?

It just looks like a generic thug in some SWAT armoured version of Robin's outfit. With a curtain draped over his scowling face.

This stinks of GrimDark gritty bullshit.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
Valagetti said:

Ahem, Damian Wayne is a very bad-ass looking Robin

Also the Robin in the game isn't Dick, it's Tim Drake, so he's not an acrobat. Tim Drake was an ambitious young detective who discovered Batman's identity and the Batcave. He's my favourite Robin my miles and his story in Identity Crisis is one of the most heart-wrenching I've ever read (in any form of literature). Seriously amazing stuff