Robocop 1 is the best Sci Fi movie ever.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I love this movie. Its the best Sci Fi movie better and yeah I am going there I think its better than Blade Runner, Alien movies, and the best Star Trek movies.

I can talk about all kinds of things with this movie like the idea of Police State, the acting and action, etc. but I think what makes me find it compelling the most is Robocop himself as a character.

This is a man that was just an ordinary good cop who suddenly was killed in the most horrifingly brutal way possible and it was his first day on the job as a cop.

He would have been dead, but fate had other plans. I think this is also an interesting topic on Death.

That moment when you are completely dead and than suddenly you wake up and you are not you anymore, your identity, your humanity, your individuality and control of yourself, gone. Out of all the scenes in this movie my absolute favorite is Robocop being made:

Like this is the first thing he opens his eyes to after being shot in the head and these people doing whatever they are doing to him. It makes you question whether this is a fate worse than death or not?

This movie to me is the best example of Organic and Robotic Humanity theme that Sci Fi is known for in things like Matrix, Blade Runner, and I Robot. Because Murphy was an Organic Human Being transformed completely into a robotic synthetic and he is struggling to regain his humanity. Murphy is perhaps one of the most tragic character I have ever seen in fiction.

Its that theme is why I love Robocop 1 the most as my favorite Sci Fi movie ever.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
It's good, but I don't think it's the best sci-fi movie. I don't even think it's the best Paul Verhoeven sci-fi movie. Total Recall and Starship Troopers have much better action, and the plots are pretty good in them as well.
Robocop hasn't aged well, either. It has shoddy claymation in some parts that just look bad today

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
DrownedAmmet said:
Robocop hasn't aged well, either. It has shoddy claymation in some parts that just look bad today
Claymation since its inception has always been shoddy, it always had this jerky animation, its the entire reason Steven Speilberg went from Claymation Dinosaurs to CGI dinosaurs in Jurassic Park because the CGI animation made the creatures move more smooth and natural looking:

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
I can't say that it's MY personal favorite, but I can certainly understand why it would be someone else's. On top of the excellent sci-fi themes, there's the fact that it's one of the best examples of an ultra-violent eighties bone cruncher movie the likes of which is rarely seen nowadays.

Also, I think you just inspired me to watch Robocop at some point this weekend.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
It's good, but it isn't as good as Alien. Or Moon. Or Interstellar.

But that guy who falls in the toxic waste? That's me with a hangover.

Aug 31, 2012
It is very good. I feels real in many ways, despite some of the OTT parts. Gotta love dystopian near future cyber fiction-ey stuff...

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Zykon TheLich said:
It is very good. I feels real in many ways, despite some of the OTT parts. Gotta love dystopian near future cyber fiction-ey stuff...

I just realized that actor died this year to throat cancer....

And that he is the son of Jose Ferrer, most famously known as the Turkish Bey from Lawrence of Arabia:

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Yes, excellent. It's definitely a contender along with the aforementioned Moon and Total Recall. I'll add Children of Men to the bunch.
Baffle2 said:
It's good, but it isn't as good as Interstellar.
You live up to your name.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I can't say it's the best sci-fi movie evar...because I like me alot of sci-fi...but it IS a good one.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
It's more of an action movie, but it has one glaring flaw: The OCP Communications commercial from the second one is so much more perfect than the commercials from the first one.

Too lazy to embed it here. One of you do it.

EDIT:Don't forget to add John Glover's lethal response.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
For me it's always been a close call between Robo and Aliens. But Robo is definitely one of the best. The theme of human fates, and the idea of being trapped in a machine (how much is actual consciousness? why did they need a human brain in there in the first place?) asks a lot of questions. If there's any human desires in there, you would go nuts long before you even started your first patrol.

I found the parodies and social commentary to be hilarious as well. The commercials like the car (6000 SUX), car alarms, sun screen, game shows etc. are just so in your face and zero subtlety, it achieves it much better than say Demolition Man. The line delivery, the soundtrack, Robocops signature walk, movie is just a master piece.

For an 80's kid such as myself, I haven't seen much come close to it. Yes, action has come a very long way, but they did well considering how robotic they wanted Robo to be, he doesn't do wall runs and backflips, crazy chase scenes and doesn't even utilize a very big arsenal. But damn he's a determined badass.

Aug 31, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
I just realized that actor died this year to throat cancer....

And that he is the son of Jose Ferrer, most famously known as the Turkish Bey from Lawrence of Arabia:

Yeah, George Clooney's cousin too.

Being a child in the 80's, Robocop has a special resonance to it. Also Ferrer's death has that..oh shit, all the people from the media I knew as a kid are starting to die off...

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
It's a very good movie and I love it too, but I say calling it "the best scifi movie ever" is a bit hyperbolic.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Nature Guardian said:
It's a very good movie and I love it too, but I say calling it "the best scifi movie ever" is a bit hyperbolic.
Hyperbolic as in "you can't just claim a movie is the best ever" or for some other reason?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
It's a decent campy 80's action movie. But there were way better sci-fi films in the 80s. It hasn't aged too well. Top 100 maybe.