Robocop is coming to Mortal Kombat 11!!!

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I never denied the deep mechanics of the fighters I just mentioned, but at the end of the day, there a people who don't give a shit about the mechanics and there for the spectacle. This is true. Before 8th generation, fighting usually had none, or 1 or 2 guess characters at best. With Smash Bros. Brawl being the exception as it had characters from Sega and Konami. Don't bother mentioning Marvel vs. Capcom, Capcom vs. SNK, or X-Men vs. Street fighter, as those were the very few exceptions. And that only increased 10 fold with Smash Bros. 4/Ultimate. There is legacy involved of course; especially of we're talking Smash. Now a lot of fighting games have at least 5-10 guess characters with Mortal Kombat and Injustice not far behind Nintendo. You have characters from Gears of War and Halo showing up to fight Rash from Battletoads in KI. All of that, regardless of mechanics is brand recognition scoping out to a wider audience. You'll have some that will learn the mechanics, and some that won't. At the end of the day, it means big green for the publishers and those involved.

EDIT: 7th generation had Injustice vs. MK, Playstation Battle Royale, and Street Fighter X Tekken, but they're all either garbage games or mediocre. Before you or someone else add something, I decided to mention it myself.
You had Jump Ultimate Stars which had chars from over 40 different manga but that game sadly never came out of Japan and the newer jump stars games went for a weird 3D battle style. JUS was like a combination of a normal 2D fighter and Smash, you had actual life and actual combos but also things like ringouts and items and platforming and what have you. Also you had incredible amounts of crossovers. You could have Kenshin and Luffy and Goku and Yugi all in the same team since you could pick from up to 4 different chars and switch them out on the spot mid-fight.

But yeah for more recent times I guess Dissidia counts? It's all FF but most of em take place in different universes (though apparently they're going hard on VII and X being in the same world according to the remake easter egg lol).

But see, my point is you either have a game which is about those various crossovers like Smash or the vs Capcom stuff, or you just have bad games using these guests as crutches to rely on, which is my estimation of what KI and MK are doing. I won't lie, seeing battletoads in a fighting game looks hype, but then you see how it plays and as a competitive player it just turns me off instantly lol. The ACTUALLY good fighters don't need to rely on those things, they're just in-universe chars like GG and BB and Persona arena and so on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You had Jump Ultimate Stars which had chars from over 40 different manga but that game sadly never came out of Japan and the newer jump stars games went for a weird 3D battle style. JUS was like a combination of a normal 2D fighter and Smash, you had actual life and actual combos but also things like ringouts and items and platforming and what have you. Also you had incredible amounts of crossovers. You could have Kenshin and Luffy and Goku and Yugi all in the same team since you could pick from up to 4 different chars and switch them out on the spot mid-fight.
I already know about the Jumpstar games. I didn't mention them because they were Japan only. I knew a guy in high school that had an import copy of both games on DS.

But see, my point is you either have a game which is about those various crossovers like Smash or the vs Capcom stuff, or you just have bad games using these guests as crutches to rely on, which is my estimation of what KI and MK are doing. I won't lie, seeing battletoads in a fighting game looks hype, but then you see how it plays and as a competitive player it just turns me off instantly lol.
Killer Instinct (2013) is a great fighting game and one of the best ones of the 2010s. Rash looks great and plays fine to me and most people. KI only has three guess characters and don't rely on them as a crutch. KI was doing plenty great before they showed up, and it still is now. Say what you will about the MK games, it's working. It's been working since MKX and not stopping with MK11.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That's the voice they choose for Robocop?

Okay.
To be fair, neither is Terminator voiced by Arnold.
Jesus Christ, that voice acting...

Look, haven't played Mortal Kombat since III, but I really don't get this obsession with guest characters, especially ones that really don't fit. Unless...I dunno, maybe Earthrealm decided it needed cyborg police officers in light of the threat of Outworld?

Um...ok?

No clicky quick and dirty:
What’s especially sweet about this is that they got Peter Weller to voice the character! I’m already way too excited to get to see Weller-voiced RoboCop banter with Keith David-voiced Spawn.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Um...ok?

No clicky quick and dirty:
What’s especially sweet about this is that they got Peter Weller to voice the character! I’m already way too excited to get to see Weller-voiced RoboCop banter with Keith David-voiced Spawn.
It may be that Weller's voice - as happens to us all - has deteriorated a bit with age and lacks the punch it had back in 1984

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It may be that Weller's voice - as happens to us all - has deteriorated a bit with age and lacks the punch it had back in 1984
It’s lacking the more robotic sounding filter the old movies had. Not sure why they didn’t/couldn’t use it here.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Since it's MK, you can atleast hope for a Crotch Shot Fatality.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Not that big on MK, so I don't think this warrants its own thread, but they're bringing back Friendships. For free even.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Jesus Christ, that voice acting...

Look, haven't played Mortal Kombat since III, but I really don't get this obsession with guest characters, especially ones that really don't fit. Unless...I dunno, maybe Earthrealm decided it needed cyborg police officers in light of the threat of Outworld?

uh idk if you're up on MK lore, but cyborg police officers have been kicking around since MK2 (Jax), with potential even for MK1 (though our Cyborg there was Kano, who is definitely not a police officer).

And more recenty theres been whole orders of Ninjas turned into cyborgs and robots.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
uh idk if you're up on MK lore, but cyborg police officers have been kicking around since MK2 (Jax), with potential even for MK1 (though our Cyborg there was Kano, who is definitely not a police officer).
Wasn't Jax a member of the Special Forces?

Yes, cyborgs have been around since day 1, but actual police offiers though? Not so much, to my knowledge.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So basically the thing with guest characters is explained in the interview link above...

And obviously having Cary Tagawa back as Shang Tsung is awesome, but we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Peter Weller reprising his role as RoboCop in that same breath. I know he's not in the new story mode, but what was it like working with him?

A lot of us grew up watching '80s action movies, so there's something so cool about... when he actually came to our studio, I was like, "Oh my God! RoboCop is in our studio! This is the coolest thing ever!" Getting the original actor voice just lends that much more authenticity of it. It's a subtlety. I always think of RoboCop as the bookend to Terminator. There's a comic book made of RoboCop versus Terminator. So this is a bucket-list thing. We have these lists of people and we've been talking about RoboCop since MK 9. We've kept him on the list for the longest time and finally checked it off.

There are definite themes to your DLC guest characters: Mortal Kombat 9 was horror movies, Mortal Kombat X was sci-fi action, and now it seems like the theme with MK 11 is '80s action. Are there any other guest characters you'd be interested in adding?

Like I said, we literally have a list that we move people up and down on. Obviously, it's not just a matter of who do we want and then boom we get them. There's a ton of hoops you've got to jump through to make these things happen. But if you saw a really huge '80s or '90s movie, it's probably on our list!

That pretty much sums up what’s going on here.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Its actually Peter Weller.

GAH ROBOCOP IS SO FUCKING KEWL!!!!
It amazes me how much work they put into each character. Especially considering that all the old characters have to also get banter lines with every new character that comes out. It's a lot of voice work.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I really dislike the guest characters thing. The best one I ever seen was Geese.

Mortal Kombat has an entire roster of people they can reinvent. And they have the talent to make more characters. They threw away great characters from the last game that should have made a come back. I would have like to see another Ferra-Torr pairing (I know the ending, no need to bring it up). Takeda rocks.

The last time I thought of Robocop, it would being disappointed by the remake.
Well here you go, Fujin and Sheeva also comes in this expansion pack: